Friday, August 28, 2020

Snitching, Part 2

Walking into the market yesterday, I stopped and began staring at an old guy, also walking in, that wasn’t wearing a mask.
As our eyes met and he realized I was staring at him, it was on the tip of my tongue to ask, “Where’s your mask?” But then he disarmed me with a pleasantry ─ he smiled and said “Hello. How are you?”.
Damn him for being a sweet old guy, when I was primed and ready for an incident that would probably end up on the internet because, in my mind, the confrontation would end up with yelling, culminating by my having to pepper spray him.
There’s always a person stationed by the door to enforce the “no mask no entry” rule. Sometimes it’s private security, sometimes a worker. That day it was a worker, a young woman who was asleep at the wheel, looking at her phone.
So, as I stood in stunned silence as old guy went on his merry way, walking up to another worker, asking her a question and she, instead of saying “Sir, you cannot be in here without a mask” began leading him to the item he was questioning. It was then that the snitch in me came out again.
I walked over to little miss asleep at the wheel and said, “That guy doesn’t have a mask”.
She immediately came to attention, picked up a small box from her station, ran after the guy and gave him a mask from the box.
I didn’t wait to see if he actually used it.
I’m a person that doesn’t like to get involved, but here I am snitching twice in one week. First was when I pointed out, to the chopper, the direction that guy running through the complex went, and now this.
I’m hoping not to make a habit of this snitching, getting involved, because my position has always been that of a drop out, a watcher, observer ─ not being fully invested in this world, but rather standing on the outside looking in. However, now I find myself not only getting involved by snitching but, for the first time I actually did that Census thing.
It left a bad taste in my mouth that I actually gave into the constant barrage of notices that I’d not completed and returned the Census, but I capitulated, went through the online process, and got those census people off my back.
And not only that but, unable to sleep last night, because I couldn’t clear my mind of how surreal it is that an unarmed Black man defied the police by walking around to the driver's side of his SUV and got himself shot seven times in the back BUT a white kid was allowed to walk around with an AR-15, shoot and kill two people, injure one, and got a bottle of water and a thank you from the cops. So, after finally falling asleep along about 2 a.m., waking up late at 11:00, I jumped online and registered to vote ... for the first time.
You read that right. At 76 years of age, this will be my first time voting.
Shocked as you all might be, it won’t compare to how shocked my girls will be. I can’t wait to tell Twin 2 that I’ve registered because she used to get into arguments in class discussions when she’d say her mom won’t do jury duty and doesn’t vote because her mom didn’t like "wasting her time" (my explanation to the girls for my choosing to opt out of social obligations) on those things.
On another note, our quad is full again.
On Tuesday, I was coming down the stairs and greeted a woman I saw walking through the quad. She greeted me back and, just to make conversation, said, “It’s difficult to breathe in this mask”.
“Especially when it’s this hot”, replied I.
When I saw her turn into the walkway towards the unit Nosey occupied before passing away, I asked, “Are you the new neighbor?”, to which she replied she was.
After introducing myself and welcoming her to the complex, inasmuch as I never saw anyone moving in, and had assumed the unit was still vacant because I’d seen no signs of life — no one coming/going, had not seen any lights on — though I’d not really looked, and the blinds and patio doors were always closed, I asked, “When did you move in?”.
“July 29”.
She’s been here a month already and I never noticed a thing, so I said “Wow! You keep a low profile”.
“That’s because my kids don’t want me leaving the unit until the pandemic is over. They’re saying two years.”
The new neighbor seems friendly enough. Not like Illusive Unfriendly — the neighbor in the downstairs unit underneath me. Illusive has been here since April 2017 and, when she moved in, wasn’t having it when I tried to introduce myself and welcome her. She chased me away by giving me a cold hard stare, raising her voice and yelling, “I DON’T LIKE PEOPLE!”.
Except, I have noticed that though she avoids us in the quad — won't look us in the eye, walks the other way rather than speak, she doesn’t appear to have a problem liking, looking in the eye, speaking when the people are men. While sitting on my perch on the couch one day, I actually spotted her running down the walkway to catch up with and have words with Big Friendly Guy, who turned around and followed her into her unit. LOL.
Oh well. Whatever.
So anyway, plan for today was to head to the air-conditioned mall to qualify in the OC Fair Virtual 5K. However, it will have to wait for another day because, waking up so late, I’ve decided to focus on purging the unit of items I no longer need or want, because I look around and see just so much unnecessary stuff.

9 comments:

  1. He wasn't saying “Hello. How are you?”. He was saying FU I don't care if you die in a nice way. You were nice back by not yelling at him and informing the "authority" about the problem.

    If you get rid of too much stuff you'll just be making room for more stuff. Keep your stuff and think of it as saving money by not buying new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Mike, I made a vow to myself, not long ago, to get rid of at least one item a day. You wouldn’t believe how hard that is. I started small with insignificant items, such as empty shoe boxes, an old package of thumbtacks I never use, but I’ve been working my way up ─ having cleared away two large containers of items and a couple smaller ones. STILL, no matter how much I get rid of, it still looks and feels like I’ve too much unnecessary stuff around me and, for that reason, seriously doubt I’ll be adding much. I’m not really all that materialistic, but maybe a few new sheet and towel sets :-)

      Delete
  2. oh shirley. I am amazed that you have never voted or participated in the census. YOU MATTER, GIRL! make your voice heard!

    and I want that kenosha cop IN JAIL and I wanna punch his ugly nazi face. as for the 17 year old, EXECUTE HIM NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it, Anne Marie. I've never felt like I mattered. I've seen and experienced too much to the contrary, but I'm so disturbed by how that 17 year old with an AR-15 was treated, as opposed to the Black man being shot 7 times IN THE BACK, that I'm going to give this voting thing a try. See if it counts.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on registering to vote so YOUR voice can be heard at the polls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old joke my mom used to tell comes to mind. A family had a baby that never uttered a sound, never spoke as he grew. The family had come to the conclusion there was some kind of impediment to where the child could not speak. Then, years later, while at dinner, the child spat out his dinner and yelled, “This taste like crap!” The family was shocked. Once they’d gotten over the shock, regained composure, they asked that if there’d not been an impediment, the child could have spoken at any time over the years, why now. “Because up until now, everything was okay”. Things are not okay right now, so I guess it’s time I vote.

      Delete
  4. Good on you, Shirley, both for snitching (known as "dobbing" here in Australia) and voting.
    Again, it's different here - voting is compulsory.

    As for executing that nasty 17 year old, I am against executions. Too easy anyway for a thing like that. Lock him up, and make him suffer! Lots and lots of years being beaten up and raped sounds about right to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dobbing" ... I like that. Sounds so much nicer than snitching. As for that 17 year old ... if he were to suffer serious consequences, as he should, No. 45 would probably just give him a pardon, the cops would give him a hero's welcome, and the KKK would give the kid a promotion.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on Registering to Vote, most of the Younger Members of our Family don't bother and I didn't either for years and years, so I don't judge. But this Election is so different because honestly I do feel so much is at stake if we get 4 more years of the Orange One. I don't like Politics or Politicians, but with him it's scarier than just Politics as usual and his Agenda is insidious and dangerous. His Cult Worshipers have a Devotion to him that is alarming too. As for the Mask thing, I honestly don't get the resistance to such a simple and effective thing. Those that resist and refuse seem to be making a larger statement IMO than just Mask wearing, it's a defiance that transcends a Public Health situation in their Minds I think. And there are still those, incredulous as it seems, that still think the Pandemic isn't Real... go figure, they're living in that Alternate Reality the Far Right speak of. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete