Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Other Side of the Mountain

Heading out of and into my area involves driving over a small mountain road with an S-Curve, a route I've not taken in weeks due to staying in my unit, leaving only for groceries at the corner market.
City girl that I am, when returning from the dental office around noon today, rounding that S-Curve, spying big fluffy white things on the mountain side, my first thought was “There's giant flowers growing on the mountain. Where did they come from?”
It took me a nanosecond to realize the flowers were moving, so I made a dangerous U-Turn, pulled into a turnout on the other side to get a closer look.


It’s sheep! Not something you see every day in this area. In fact, not something one sees EVER in this area.
Once back at the complex, I did a little online research and learned they’re probably Big Horn, having wandered down from the mountains. As to why they are this far down, my guess is it has something to do with the fire we just had, day before yesterday, way up high on that side of the mountain.
But such an interesting sight.
Things went well at the dental office. They appear to have taken every precaution possible ─ seating set up for distancing, masks, temperature check, even had me gargle 30 seconds with a mixture of peroxide and water before the hygienist began her work ... a new hygienist, but I don’t know how long she’ll be my hygienist as she had a protruding belly. I assumed pregnant, but didn’t verify by asking her about it because I’ve put my foot in my mouth a time or two asking a woman when her baby was due, only to be yelled at that, “I’M NOT PREGNANT!”.
If she’s still there in six months ─ my next appointment, belly still protruding, then I’ll know not pregnant. Or if still there, and belly flat, I'll know she WAS and has since given birth.
My very handsome dentist, Dr. McDreamy, didn’t find anything wrong in the x-rays. That’s always a relief ─ not because of the cost involved in dental procedures, but because of the discomfort. I hate pain.
McDreamy appears to have gone a little soft and pudgy, physically speaking, but he’s still dreamy in my eyes ─ silver hair, blue/green eyes, warm and comfortable looking.
I’d mention in a previous post that although McDreamy is now up in age to where I’d have thought he’d have retired, he probably can’t because he became a father late in life  has a young son to see through Junior High, High School, College.
How he came to be a dad is an interesting story.
He’s married to a beautiful Black woman, and when I say beautiful, I mean drop dead gorgeous.
She was a hygienist in the office. There was no hanky panky between them, but he must have thought about it, been attracted to her because he was there for her when she tried to kill herself.
I don’t know how she tried to kill herself, by what means, but she landed in the hospital and the office was shocked. No one knew she was unhappy with her life at that time but, when her attempt at killing herself failed, McDreamy went to her hospital bed and asked, “What are you doing?” Meaning in trying to kill herself.
From there, her life drastically changed, ending with McDreamy marrying her (lucky girl), after which her life became staying at home, going on cruises with him, taking care of him. Then along came a son ─ a big adjustment for McDreamy at the time as he wasn't looking to have a child, wasn't quite sure how he felt about it. But it happened and he took to fatherhood, taking the child with them on the vacation cruises he's so fond of and it appears content with the life he now has (except for no cruises due to Covid) and often talks about what his son is up to.
Other than seeing sheep and Dr. McDreamy, both on the same day, nothing else going on in my life as I patiently wait for California and the Pain Cave to reopen.

10 comments:

  1. The sight of all those Big Horn Sheep is amazing, tho' said they've been displaced en mass by the Fires from their usual Habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they don't somehow make it to the road because cars come around that curve pretty fast. Also hoping they head back to the mountains because if the coyotes sniff them out it won't be a good outcome.

      Delete
  2. nothing going on either on this side of the US. working from home. trips to the grocery store. taking extra garden veggies to a local food bank. day in day out boredom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once this pandemic has run its course, going to be hard to adjust to being around people again.

      Delete
  3. That's quite a story, and one with a happy ending for the hygienist and the dentist both - but a special turn around for someone who was obviously so miserable before! I think it's good for young people to hear these stories as they can be overwhelmed and think suicide is the only way out of situations.
    The sheep must have been fun to see. Did you see photos of the ones in North Wales which have come right into the town?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed see the ones in North Wales. Would be amazing if the ones I saw survived crossing the road, survived the coyotes and ended up here.

      Delete
  4. That was quite a day.
    The sheep could have been hired to trim down the hillside. They do that here as a fir prevention measure.

    ReplyDelete