Saturday, October 9, 2021

The Witch Is In

After Next Door Neighbor joined in on the Halloween fun, I realized I didn’t even need the candy corn witch, but she was already on the way, arrived today, so set her up I did.


Plans to walk the university, or around the golf course today, were preempted when I woke up feeling drained of energy.

Because I empath, an energy drain generally signifies family drama going on — something happening with either Twin 1 or Twin 2. I don’t generally feel the grandkids.

Whatever it is, I hope it gets handled without involving me. We all have to individually work our way through this maze called life.

At any rate, there was no outside walking today, but I did manage to do 30 minutes on the indoor bike, which got the blood flowing, made me feel better.

Well enough to head to the corner market … where the security guard is, for items I’ve been unable to find at the other market, or Sprouts, or Trader Joe’s — like jasmine brown rice, gluten free bisquick, and Ore-Ida frozen diced potatoes. After all, I rationalized, today is Saturday, he can’t possibly work Monday through Friday AND weekends.

Wrong.

As I was exiting the car, I saw him, over to the left, slowly walking from his truck back to the store. He sped up when he saw me, but I beat him inside.

Since I was there, I did all my grocery shopping, making sure to get three each of the things I can only find at this market, so I’d not have to return.

I managed to avoid all contact with Mr. Security Guard, saw him out the corner of my eye a few times, but pretended I didn’t, and lucked up upon exiting the store because Wheelchair Man had him trapped in a conversation.

Security Guard glanced up when he saw me heading for the door, but there is no getting away from Wheelchair Man when he visits the store and engages staff in conversation.

Seeing the frustrated look on security guard’s face, at being blocked in, I laughed all the way to the car.

What wasn't funny, but which I guess is a sad sign of how some of us are struggling ... the guy who bagged my groceries looked to be about 80 years old.

A reminder of how lucky I am to be retired ... not rich, but not in danger of becoming a Walmart greeter or a grocery store bagger ... at least not yet.

So there’s that.

Then there’s this.


Looks like a fun medal and tee to add to my collection, but it’s a Virtual, and I’m done with boring Virtuals, especially since in-person 5Ks are popping up.

I’ve already signed up for the Mission Inn 5K on the 25th.


I've always wanted to do this race, but traffic is bad that way and parking is worse but, after such a long time away from live events, I decided to go for it.

Not only will there be traffic and parking to deal with, but this race is going to be HUGHER than HUGH, a mad house, because it’s three races in one — a ½ Marathon, a 10K and a 5K.

My friend the Archeologist saw on Facebook that I’d registered for the 5K portion, signed up herself, her son, her daughter and asked if I wanted to carpool.

"Sure" replied I, but then things got even more complicated.

We have to drive up the day before for package pickup, and I have to be fed, dressed and outside waiting for her by 6:00 AM race day, so we can find parking, and then stand around until after the start of the other two races, for our 7:30 start time.

Too much of a hassle for me, so I made it easy on myself by booking a nearby hotel, so I can beat traffic by arriving the day before, leave the car parked at the hotel, walk to/from package pickup, leave the hotel next morning at 7:15 AM, walk to 5K start location.

Notified the Archeologist of my change of plans. We’ll meet up at the site for photos.

I'm better on my own anyway. Prefer it so.

16 comments:

  1. I did an unknown K on Saturday. It was the annual walk for Parkinson's. The track is at a local college but it's not a standard track. It loops around a ball field and some tennis courts. It's a little less than a quarter mile... Google says it's 375M. So times 8 is 3K. Now add the lawn cutting later in the day got me up to a little over 4 miles or 6.5K.
    Now that was around 9000 steps. Some say that you should do 10,000 steps or more a day. All I would be doing is walking all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the 3K! Every step counts towards that 10,000 a day but who has the time or inclination. I saw a funny commercial where a woman puts her tracker on her dog, lets the dog run around and she takes credit when the tracker says she's reached her 10,000 a day goal :-)

      Delete
    2. I'd have to be walking while I'm typing this to get to 10,000 steps.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't realized how large the candy corn witch is until you showed her in all her glory on your balcony! Festive!
    I agree with you on the virtual races. If I'm doing an event, it's with other people doing the event - at the same time in the same place. They're fun, but yes, parking logistics and such can be a hassle. I think you made a good choice there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor did I realize how large she was, but all the better to see her. Packing her up for next year is going to be a challenge. Your recent fall reminded me of when my foot slipped on something hard that fell from a tree and I went flying, face first. Fortunately for me, I have big boobs. Before my face could hit the concrete, my boobs hit the ground. That caused me to sort of bounce. My face, nose, teeth, thus protected, I ended up with just a little scrape from when I bounced and my forehead tapped the concrete.

      Delete
  3. Thanks and congratulations for doing the Parkinson's walk. Maybe soon there will be some kind of cure found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my blog friend Mike who did the Parkinson's walk, and yes, good job for doing that walk.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I realized that, I was trying to hit reply directly under his post!

      Delete
  4. I love the candy corn witch. It's impossible to look at her without smiling back at her adorable face!
    I did wonder if the security guy had added hours because he thought you were coming in at different times- what a hoot that would be.
    Is the wheelchair man wearing a mask now?
    I am so glad you arranged that overnight at the hotel and it will be a nice change for you to do this 5K after so long. Like a mini vacation plus the exercise is a win/win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wheelchair man was NOT in a mask. Security Guard was .. a good thing, because wheelchair man was right up on him, looking up, spewing germs upwards into his face. The look on Security Guard's face showed his frustration at not being able to move away from the wheelchair, LOL. I can't imagine him working six days a week but, evidently, he does. Hopefully, not seven, and I can try a Sunday when in a pinch for something.

      Delete
  5. Things are so expensive that it doesn't surprise me that older people have to still keep working in order to make ends meet. I like the Halloween decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True. It's a hard life. But it makes me angry that an 80 year old will bag groceries to make ends meet when that middle grandson, whom I now refer to in the family as the "whiny little beoch" chooses to scam me out of money, scam his sister out of money, and guilt his mom into giving him money to pay his bills. My decorations don't compare to your fun display, but I won't have so much to put back in storage :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's terrible to have to look over your shoulder and worry about one person so much upon even entering the store. You shouldn't have to put up with that girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women ALWAYS have to look over their shoulders. Young or old, no age is safe.

      Delete
  8. I love the new candy corn. It is precious.

    ReplyDelete