Friday, October 29, 2021

Off the Clock

Last workout of the week, enough groceries that I don’t have to leave the unit to go grocery shopping, I am off the clock until Monday.

I don’t even know if I’ll go walking tomorrow, Saturday. Depends on whether the walking bug hits me when I awaken tomorrow.

Trainer is a young man with an old soul. Consequently, we have deep philosophical talks. He shares things with me he can’t share with his younger clients — has to maintain that invincible tough guy image with them. As for me, he knows things about me that my own family doesn’t know ... so do you, my readers.

Trainer and I laugh a lot, kid around a lot and, one day this week, he and I even turned the session into a quasi Zumba class.


At any rate, he and I have been following and discussing the Gabby Petito/Brian Laundrie case.

All along, Trainer said Brian would be found deceased by his own hands. My theory was Brian had escaped to another country.

Having myself escaped from an abusive situation, one thing I discussed with Trainer is that I didn’t understand why, when the cops originally arrived on the scene after receiving reports of Brian slapping Gabby, and separated the two — sending Brian to spend a night in a hotel to cool down, while Gabby spent that night in the van, was why she didn’t just drive away. Leave his arse behind.

"Love" said Trainer.

Perhaps he’s right. She just wasn’t ready to give up on him.

Too bad she didn’t get another opportunity to save herself.

For new readers who don’t know my history, I was Gabby once — young, stupid in love, not giving up on the relationship with my ex-husband in spite of being verbally and physically abused, my every movement controlled.

Fortunately for me, the day came when the abuse caused me to fall completely out of love. All that was left was contempt and fear.

Yet and still I gave him a chance. Told him he needed to get some help, that I’d give him six months to get that help or I was gone.

I didn’t know then, what I know now … that when these abusers lose control is the most dangerous time for a woman.

His response to the ultimatum was to go postal. He kept me and the new-born twins locked in the apartment with him. I slept on the couch in the living room, so I could be near the door to escape, while he slept in the bedroom.

Another thing I learned is these abusers can read your mind. He figured I was planning to sneak away while he slept, so he kept one of the twins with him at night, knowing I’d not leave without both my babies.

When he began drinking, trying to work himself up to killing me to stop me from leaving, I managed to trick him into believing I still loved him and wanted to give it another try. When he felt he was back in control, and could leave the apartment for the ten minutes it took to drive a few blocks to the cleaners, pick up his cop uniform, so he could return to work, as soon as I heard his car exit the driveway, I grabbed my six-month old twins and fled with the clothes we had on our backs.

That was my moment, and had I hesitated to take it, as Gabby hesitated to drive away, I’d have been her.

At any rate, now that Brian’s bones have been found and identified, I told Trainer that I actually felt sorry for Brian. Sorry because he thinks taking himself out of this life frees him from experiencing the consequences of his actions. While, in actuality, the only thing he’s succeeded in doing is establishing the direction in which his next life will go, and it won’t be pretty.

So, I am now off the clock and already not looking forward to Monday. Not just because Monday is back to the same ol same ol, but because it will be the day after Halloween and I’ll have to put the decorations away.

The decorations will go back into storage, but I’m going to keep my current vampire bloody nail art until it’s time to switch to Christmas.


13 comments:

  1. Love the video. It is good to have a trainer you like. You don't sweat less but it is more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me over a year of research and checking out other options to find him. I liked him the second I met him, and the feeling was mutual.

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness. Yep, why do we learn stuff after we needed the knowledge? Sooooo glad you got out of the yucky situation. Baby twins! How nice to move you forward. (I wanted 1 pregnancy and twins: God said otherwise. He was right.)
    So, do you get fined by the Tyrant if you keep your Halloween decor up for awhile? Did your neighbor with the boneyard win the contest?
    Glad you have an understanding comrade at the pain cave. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twins were a surprise, but it turns out twins run every generation in my ex's side of the family and on mine. I had twin brothers, both are dead now. I'm the oldest of four brothers, one sister, and the only one still living.

      Delete
    2. P.S. We have three days after Halloween and Christmas to take down our decorations or we get a lease violation. Neighbor came in third because, evidently, there are two other spooky patios that beat her out. I'll know in a few days where those patios are located. I'll take photos and post. Interesting that Tyrant said "family friendly" but then awarded the macabre patios that defied him.

      Delete
  3. "pick up his cop uniform"
    What?! You were lucky to get out of that without everyone in the family getting their brains blown out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having survived a very dangerous relationship too I knew that the outcome to the Gabby/Brian Story would not have a Happy Ending, like Trainer, I felt that both would end up being a DV Statistic that sadly always escalates to one or both Dying horribly. I think Brian did try to Escape, but realized he'd be Found eventually and didn't have the Courage to end up in Prison, where Men who abuse Women and/or Children never fare well. The fact you escaped from an abusive Police Officer Spouse is Miraculous, usually the Brotherhood tends to cover for the Abusers in their midst, of all types. A Friend of mine was Married to an Abusive Fire Chief and she almost didn't make it out Alive and had to move far and away to escape the reach the privilege of his Career gave him with impunity. I think here in The Land of Blog many people know more than we Share in Real Life about ourselves, I'm typically a very Private Person in Real Life, here, much more transparent, even tho' I've met some Blog Supporters in Real Life... so we've had an instant Bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the brotherhood covering up. I experienced that when he was abusing me in public, someone called the cops. They showed up, saw it was him, he waved them off, they left. These abusers aren't as smart and as powerful as they think they are. I still crack myself up thinking back on how I outwitted outplayed my ex and got out alive. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall to see his reaction, upon returning from picking up his uniform, to find me and the babies gone. He didn't find us until 10 years later, when he was no longer a threat to me, but did try to talk me back into his life. Which, of course, I told him to take a hike.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your abusive ex was a cop? So glad you had the intelligence to get out. "I wil survive" - ha, how fitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He blamed it on the pressures of the job, but he was just crazy jealous, insecure, had abandonment issues. "I will survive" ... how funny, because I was singing that song in the shower this morning :-)

      Delete
  6. It seems there are rather a lot of cops in the U.S. with mental problems. So glad you had the courage to get away, right away and stayed out of his sight.

    Those nails are amazing, you did a great job, but I did so love the candy corn stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloody vampire nails stay fresher looking longer, but there will be candy corn again next year. It's a tradition with me.

      Delete