Tuesday, October 5, 2021

The 5th of Halloween

Unlike previous years, I’m not seeing a lot of door and patio decorating for Halloween around here this year.

Is it because it’s still early or is it that politics and the pandemic and the economy has everyone down or is it the stipulation, by the Tyrant, that decorations be family friendly?

Probably the latter because, as I recall previous Halloweens around here, patios were decorated with spider webs, ghost, skeletons.

The resident with the skeletons is still living here. So, if she doesn’t display them, I’ll know, after the Tyrant’s declaration, she now feels her decorations are not allowed.

Maybe my door decorations, and the candy corn lights I attached to the patio railings over the weekend, will spur others on to put up something, anything, because it’s been too long since we’ve had any Halloween fun around here.

With just lights on the railing, the patio looked bare. So, I set about to zhuzh it up a bit.

Lighted pumpkins would have been nice, but I’m not a pumpkin kind of girl. So, keeping up with the theme of candy corn, I’ve ordered …….... wait for it ……... A Lighted Candy Corn Witch.


I’ll be displaying all candy corn sweetness outside my unit, but inside is witchery and black magic as I remembered to pull out my seasonal coffee cup, and did my nails to match.


I also pulled from storage my ex’s ashes.


Of course, there no ashes inside the little jar, but it’s fun to think there could be.

Perhaps that annoying security guard would think twice, about trying to make my acquaintance, if he knew there might one day be a jar with his name on it.

Yesterday was interesting, in that there was that outage on Facebook and Instagram.

Wasn’t much of a bother for me because, when I logged on to play Candy Crush and got a message “Hmmm…Can’t Reach This Page”, I automatically assumed the problem was on my end, didn’t want to deal with it, went on to something else, followed by a long nap.

By the time I’d awakened, Facebook and Instagram worked just fine, and I learned the problem had not been on my end, but a huge outage — which had driven some users crazy … clicking/checking 50 times or more, desperate to get back into their social medias.

Granddaughter was one of those users — a clear indication of social media addiction.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the day after that explosive 60 Minutes expose about Facebook, there was an outage?

Just sayin.

18 comments:

  1. Boy, not around here!!! It seems like every house has Halloween finery out, or pumpkin, mums, and gourds on their porches. Fall wreaths. Of course Dolyestown, New Hope and Lambertville are huge Halloween towns. And some of the most haunted towns in the US. You've seen some of the shops here, witchcraft shops, haunted antique shops, lol... I mean they sell medieval vampire kits!!!!!!!!!! Im have my seasonal decor out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my kinda place ... Halloween Town. I may have to take a drive out of the area to get my fix.

      Delete
  2. I love the candy corn theme. Your ghost will be too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the candy corn witch doesn't get neighbors in the mood, nothing will.

      Delete
  3. I'm across the river from Maddie, in New Jersey. It is Halloween Heaven here! Every year it gets more extreme. My next door neighbors put up a display that includes the sounds of cats fighting. It had me convinced my tabby had gotten out and invited his neighbors to a rumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SOOOO JEALOUS. If I end up moving, I may have to look for an area that celebrates Halloween.

      Delete
  4. I vote for the Tyrant as to the cause.
    Around here some people go nuts and others, like me, don't do anything. My daughter and SIL put up stuff for their 7YO daughter.
    FB did an update yesterday. Maybe they knew the update would crash the system. I wouldn't put it past FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, probably the Tyrant. We've never been told our decorations have to be family friendly until he pronounced it must be so. That FB update was probably the equivalent of destroying the evidence of what had been disclosed on 60 Minutes.

      Delete
  5. Love the candy corn witch, and the ex's ashes! I've toyed with turning our front lawn into a cemetery, but so many others have beat me to that punch.
    I don't think the facebook/instagram crash was coincidence. But I'm clearly no addict, so no biggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There can't be too many cemeteries. Go for it. I enjoy social media but, if it ended tomorrow, I'd live. My addition is the television. The power goes out, no TV, I lose my religion.

      Delete
  6. My mom's ashes were surprisingly heavy, it was a large enough container too. Fun pumpkin post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest part of my ex was his ego. Definitely could not have squeezed that into the jar.

      Delete
  7. I'm so behind in decorating for Halloween this year! Several of our neighbors have displays up already and I enjoy seeing them. The weather is still a bit too warm (in my opinion) to get a pumpkin for the front porch. Maybe by next week it will cool down some more. I love the candy corn theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nearest I've come to a real pumpkin as decoration is in a pie, but I can imagine a real pumpkin would go bad fast in warm weather. Probably attract critters as well. I've seen some cute indoor/outdoor types.

      Delete
  8. I like your candy corn witch! Also happy to see that you have done your nails, that must brighten your day just seeing them all the time.
    I get my Flu shot this afternoon, usually have a sore arm afterwards but no other problems. John is 81 tomorrow and not welcoming it, he is going out to lunch with me tomorrow and with me and other friends on Friday.
    I wonder, since you enjoy Halloween so much, do you like Day of the Dead and those decorations too? The P.O. is selling stamps of those designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day of the Dead is too creepy for me. I have friends who have invited me to celebrations, saying they put up pictures of departed ones, set up an alter to remember and honor. I've declined because it took years before the spirit of my ex gave up and stopped hassling me. I don't want to take the chance of giving him a channel by which he, or anyone else, can return. Why is John not welcoming 81?

      Delete
    2. His life is getting v. difficult because of Parkinson's.

      Delete
    3. Oh, bless his heart. I totally understand.

      Delete