Monday, October 11, 2021

The Haunted House

Headed to the pain cave this morning, I saw new painted rocks along my pathway — Halloween themed painted rocks.




Jan was supposed to be in hospital, having knee surgery. However, catching up with her upon my return from the cave, she tells me she was admitted, they found her kidney count too high, postponed the surgery, sent her home.

Since she’d doing Halloween themed, I asked if she could do one to look like candy corn.

She’s going to try.

That should be cute.

I suggested she make more than one because, "If I see a candy corn rock, I’m taking it". LOL.

Running late, I drove, rather than walked to the pain cave and, on the way out of the driveway, I spied what looked like a Haunted House going up across the street.


I can make out black tarp over the windows to make it dark inside, a door covered in Halloween print, and something over to the left that looks like Halloween graffiti — definitely a haunted house going up.

I don’t like to be frightened, so I won’t go in but, once it opens, I will check out the goings/comings.

Should be fun.

That is … IF IT OPENS, because Big Linda is probably having a cow, right this minute, calling the police and every kind of agency there is, to protest.

Why?

Because that’s what Big Linda does.

Big Linda is retired military, tries to drill sergeant everyone in and around the complex … regulating what can and cannot be done.

She’s actually been quiet and subdued since the shutdown but, her unit being directly across the street from that building, she took issue when it was a pot dispensary — even though it caused us no problems, and called the police numerous times seeking to have it shut down.

It finally was shut down and has been unoccupied since 2017.

In fact, it wasn’t just shut down, but raided after an investigation deemed the business to be "illegal in the city" and "housing a pot farm inside".

At any rate, for Big Linda to see the building reopen — even for a limited time as a haunted house, is going to stir her up again.

When I returned to the complex, there was a notice on the door about yet another inspection. This one by an agency that’s involved in making sure the property is “In compliance with the federal tax credit program and all applicable regulatory restrictions”. The regulators will be looking at units on October 21-22, then again 25-29.

Inasmuch as previous inspections were one day, only a few random units looked at, with this one being over days and days, I'm thinking ... could corporate and management be in trouble? Are they being investigated? Does this mean ALL units will be inspected, including mine?

Management has asked that, pre the regulators coming in, we “Please confirm that all fixtures are working properly”.

Are they serious?

All fixtures sure as hell are not working properly, so here’s my dilemma … At my recertification appointment, I was going to put in a 4th request to have the broken bedroom blinds replaced and for management to fix the light being out in the refrigerator.

Now, I’m thinking I should be petty … not make a 4th request, but take a chance that these regulators will check my unit, see the blinds, see the light out in the refrigerator, give management a black mark towards being in compliance.

I’m leaning towards going down the petty route.

Would serve them right.

12 comments:

  1. It's funny about haunted houses with me. I LOVE horror movies of all kinds, new and classics, but when it comes to haunted houses, if it's a ride where you go through with no contact, I'm fine...but if you have to walk it and they can pop out and touch you...I'm outta of there. The first and last time I went through one, a ghoul popped out and grabbed me...and I made quite the scene...a bit embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was laughing so hard at the idea of you making a scene when a ghoul grabbed you that I think I woke up the entire neighborhood. ROFLMAO!!! I want details. What did you do? When I was on a date, and the date took me into a haunted house, I was screaming and crying and, while the date was trying to pull me forward through whatever was in the cages, I was pulling back. He had to carry me out. When my daughters wanted to go through a neighborhood haunted house, I buried my head in the back of one of them, eyes closed, listened but did not see or I would have freaked out again. When they wanted to go through another the next year, I couldn't handle it. Sent them in alone. They were only 10 years old and I sent them into a haunted house alone. I should have been arrested for child endangerment, but fortunately they came out alive and unharmed. I keep getting flashbacks of you creating a scene and laughing.

      Delete
  2. Well, hopefully Big Linda isn't a Diva this time and ignores the Haunted Attraction? We once had a Neighbor like her, at the Historic Property, Dorothy was afraid of everything and thus called the Authorities on everything that 'scared' her. She was Retired from the Sheriff's Office and quite elderly so people pitied her, but she caused a lot of Drama that wasn't necessary, when she finally Died nobody missed her running interference in the Neighborhood, she wasn't making any Positive differences to her Community and just pissing people off really. As for Management, I'd be petty, since they've ignored requests in the past you could default to thinking they wouldn't bother with any requests anyway so have given up asking for repairs... in case anyone asks when Inspectors find things not in compliance. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With these important inspectors coming in, management not wanting to be caught with their pants down, now is the time management would quickly act on repairs. On the other hand, if I go petty and the inspectors not view my unit, I run the risk of repairs being taken care of whenever management damn well pleases. But the risk of going petty just might be worth it to me. "Retired from the sheriff's office" and "Retired from the military", I'm seeing a background in enforcing others theme with these control freaks.

      Delete
    2. It is a tough decision to make Shirley, if you REALLY want the Repairs done efficiently, now would be the time to not stand on Principles since the risk is there it won't matter if they don't inspect your unit and then Management could retaliate saying you had your chance. And I see a control freak theme with a lot of Backgrounds of Career choices that tend to make the Retiree feel entitled and 'special', Retired Law Enforcement are the worst for thinking they're above the Law and getting out of Tickets and such they deserved to get but play the "I was in Law Enforcement" Card when another Cop is just trying to do their Job. Sadly, that 'Brotherhood' Mentality makes even the good ones feel obligated to cover for the bad ones in those types of Career Fields where retaliation could be worse than caving in to the Brotherhood shenanigans. This is why they're having such backlash in these professions now, it's being revealed what has been happening that is corrupt and covered up for a very long time. And don't even get me started on what Churches have done to cover up their Pervert Clergy's Crimes, it's an abomination before the Lord they claim to Serve and Represent.

      Delete
    3. As one commenter has suggested, a veiled threat might be satisfying. It's worked for me before ... when there was a leak in the sink, that caused water to spill over the counter onto the floor. When the building in Miami came down due to a water leak, I sent yet another request and asked the Tyrant if he was going to wait until water leaked through the floor, damaged the unit downstairs, and we had a situation such as in Miami. Saying that I had a paper trail that I had tried, if water damage ensued, so not MY fault, Maintenance showed the very next day. LOL. I don't know why the Tyrant makes it so difficult. It's not like I'm just going to give up and let him not do his job. So veiled threat it is going to be this time as well.

      Delete
  3. You could ask management if they would prefer that you point out your issues to the inspectors, or if they want you to file a 4th request. Their choice LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooooooooooooooooh! That's good! A threat. I like it.

      Delete
  4. I am leaning towards pointing out major things not working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now leaning towards doing that, but in the way commenter krayolakris suggested. Give them a choice. Management ain't gonna like it, so I'd better wait until the end of the meeting. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I don't like the sound of those inspections. Remember that is how all of this hullabaloo started at my complex and then turned out those inspectors were the new owner's men. I hope that is not the case for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that. Residents have complained for years about there being insufficient lighting at night on the place and then, all of a sudden new lighting is going up over the garages, on our patios. Residents have speculated about the place being sold. Which, I don't think would be a bad thing as we'd get out from under this management group. Time will tell.

      Delete