Thursday, October 14, 2021

Not Exactly What I Had in Mind

Jan made quick work of creating a candy corn rock. I saw it when I headed out for the pain cave yesterday.


Not exactly what I had in mind — I was thinking along the lines of a rock with white, orange and yellow going all the way around, like candy corn, but okay.

The po po were guarding the campus parking lot today.


Made me nervous about parking, especially when I noticed student cars did have a blue sticker posted to their windshields, indicating they’d paid for parking for the month and/or a paper receipt indicating they’d paid for parking that day.

Not normally a rule breaker, I nevertheless took a chance, parked, did 4,200 steps 1.40 miles, and got away without being dragged from the car, beaten and jailed for parking without a sticker while Black.

Not sure I’ll risk it again. May go back to off-site parking, so I can spend more time on campus, walk further, without worrying about getting busted.

As Barbara had commented in a previous post, about what I’d see the kids doing or wearing, sure enough, I wasn’t even out of the parking lot when I spied what looked like unnecessary abuse of a stuffed animal.


The Halloween car seemed a fun idea.


I took note of what the kids were wearing on campus and, surprisingly, they were dressed like normal people their age — jeans, some with ripped knees, tees, shirts, jackets, no one trying to stand out by dressing ostentatiously. Everyone blending in.

Insofar as places to go for snacks, the students have a restaurant on campus, a Starbucks!, sushi place, pizza joint, Einstein Bagel shop, and probably more places I did not see.

I really miss bagels but, not able to digest wheat or flour, bread in any form is out of the question.

There’s even a daycare facility on campus.


All in all, it’s an interesting place to walk, while I train for the upcoming 5K.

12 comments:

  1. Wonder what the parking fee is. Might be worth it if cheap and you think you would use it. I love the Halloween car. Don't know why I never thought of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at that when I first, years ago, ventured onto campus. I remember it as being too expensive for the time I'd be on campus.

      Delete
  2. I think college parking fees are very high. I know it was when my husband retired and went back to school for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems so. Tuition, plus books, plus parking, plus campus housing .. it's all so excessive.

      Delete
  3. My niece has been driving around with a full size skeleton in the passenger seat of her mini van. Quite the attention getter, especially in the school pick up line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never went to college but I did go to a college campus to take my GED test, years ago. It was a nice campus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've visited four college campuses, three when I went to sign up for classes. Two were as nice as this campus, so I took night classes. The other was disgusting and in a bad area. I declined on taking a class there.

      Delete
  5. I hope Jan makes a traditional looking candy corn rock, I think she will (or has).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. I was tempted to purchase a rock kit, paint one myself, but decided not that important.

      Delete
  6. Parking permits are usually just for students and a special one for staff. I would think you would have to show student id to buy a permit. Are there no parking meters on campus? Fresno State has meters in about 3 different places on campus, and you can buy a one day pass, but it's usually pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I can buy one day parking from a machine at the main entrance I did that once, years ago when I first started walking on the campus. But I remember the machine malfunctioned, and the cost was too much for the short time I'd be on campus. No worries. I'm going to play it safe and park along the side road where I used to park. Evidently, a lot of students can't afford parking, because that's where I've seen some of them park as well.

      Delete