Thursday, February 1, 2024

'Twas a Dark and Rainy Day

This first day of Black History Month has been wet and gloomy, as a storm rolled in to ruin the perfect sunny weather we’ve been having last few days.

I am so glad I didn’t register for Sunday’s 5k at the Runway of Ontario Airport, as it’s likely to be rained out when the second phase of this rain storm hits the area over the weekend.

Desperate for a walking event, I came close to registering but held out because of the parking situation that once the lot closest to the event was full, a lot located a couple blocks away would be made available and registrants would be shuttled to the event.

I once got lost in that airport — barriers and miles to a turnaround area, when I went to pick Twin 2 up from a trip. So I know "a couple blocks" means miles and miles and miles.

No thanks to be stranded away from the event, dependent upon a shuttle.

Even though the event is only a 30 minute drive, I might have sprung for a hotel, so I didn’t have to worry about parking, but there were no hotels close enough to allow me to get to the event without driving.

My only other option was to arrive early, around 5:30/6:00 a.m., to ensure a spot in Lot 1, which would have meant a long wait for the 8:00 a.m. start time.

Last time I did that was 2015 for the Halloween Spooktacular up in the mountains of San Dimas, but I no longer have the energy or motivation to arrive before the sun comes up, so I waffled, didn’t register and, last time I checked, the event was sold out.

I actually was rather relieved that I no longer had to ponder whether I should register or not, because "sold out" meant I couldn't; and now that the weather has taken a turn, I’m glad I didn't waste money on an event likely to be rained out — which has happened more than a few times.

Besides, in my constant search for a 5K nearby, I see the Kappa Delta sorority is bringing the Shamrock 5K back to the university in March.

The college is a stone throw’s away from the complex, has plenty of parking so, barring any unforeseen circumstances, it will be my second time participating in that 5K.

I recall the event being boring … entertainment at the finish line, but no entertainment along the course. However, who knows, this being the first in person race at the college since the pandemic, maybe the sorority will step it up, but even if they don’t, it will feel good to get out walking in a safe space again, even if only for one morning.

Organizers have already opened registration for this year’s Mission Inn October Run, but not being the spring chicken I once was, and the struggle being real, even with the walking poles last time, I’ll have to think about my ability to give it another go.

After tossing those really great walking poles by mistake, I did replace them, but not without going through the same hoops as before.

I couldn’t remember where I’d bought them from, so tried a retailer I thought would have been the source.

Wrong. I ended up with the poles I didn’t like, the ones that wouldn’t lock, so returned them.

Second try, I got the right retailer but somehow ordered the wrong product. I ended up with a cane.

It’s a really good cane, so I’m hanging on to it just in case I one day need it or can gift to someone else.

Third try was a win win — correct poles and, instead of a boring one color, in a pretty ombre coloration.

Looks like I’ll have to wait until March to test them out.

7 comments:

  1. You could walk fast around your apartment complex with your new poles and really confuse lots of people. Tell more snow is coming! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking around the complex is what I should have done during those days we had good walking weather. Had thought about it, but was too comfortable inside, too lazy to go outside.

      Delete
  2. You could make the Shamrock 5K more interesting by dressing up like a leprechaun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll will, except a toned-down leprechaun .... wear green lipstick and make leprechaun theme leggings.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you aren’t missing much at the Ontario Airport 5K. I hadn’t thought about Ontario Airport for a while. We flew in and out of there a few times. I hope you can do the Kappa Delta 5K ... and that it's entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where were you coming from, where were you going to that you came through that airport?

      Delete
    2. I have no idea. The closest places we ever lived were Irvine and Palm Springs. I don’t know which one, but we did fly in and out of there a few times and even picked someone up there. I have no idea why.

      Delete