Monday, February 12, 2024

It Ain’t Pretty

This is what the bedroom window looks like from the outside.


It ain’t pretty, but the bubble wrap is doing its job, seems to be effective in keeping the cold air out of the bedroom at night.

I did not have to run the heater last night, and woke up without sniffles and feeling chilled to the bone.

Because the outside view isn’t all that pretty, I did look into a window installation kit, as suggested by DrumMajor (Thanks friend) and liked that it was touted as "crystal clear", but was turned off by the mixed reviews ……… some purchasers liked it, others complained it did not live up to "crystal clear", tape didn’t hold, and the panels are not reusable when taken down.

Under the theory of "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it", now that I see bubble wrap is doing the job, I’m gonna stick with it.

Pun intended, LOL.

Besides, the shrink wrap touted a 30/35% reduction in heating bill. Bubble wrap is estimating a 50% reduction.

As for the aesthetics, I’m good with losing my view and the window looking unappealing through the Winter months.

I had errands to run after this morning’s workout.

The weather was perfect for a drive, so out of the area I went — looking for new pokémon characters at each stop.

Bass Pro Shop was crawling with pokémons, but nothing I needed in my deck.

They did however have a sign at the entrance that one does not see every day.


I asked the young lady at the desk if people actually come in with weapons on them. She replied in the affirmative, adding that it scares her when the weapons are placed in her hands.

I’ll bet, but that lets me know there are perfectly normal looking people walking around armed to the teeth with more than just pepper spray.

So, no pokémons at Bass Pro, but they did have a fun looking poke stop, where I snagged game tools.


The next stop was my reward for having worked so hard cleaning up the place over the weekend.


After a stop at Sprouts, for items I can’t purchase locally, finding no interesting pokémon, it was off to the hardware store to replenish cleaning supplies.

In the parking lot, I captured one I did not already have in my deck — a Frogadier.


I think this is where I also captured a problem because, just moments after jumping on the freeway, heading home, bells and whistles went off on the car's instrument panel, indicating the left rear passenger side tire was down to 28 psi.

Panic … Fright … and it had been such a nice day up until then.

The good news ……… I was in the right area — the tire place was just down the street from where I’d just been at the hardware store.

Getting off at the next exit, holding my breath I’d make it before the tire gave out, I jumped back on the freeway, headed to where I’d been, passed the hardware store, made it a mile further to the tire place.

They found a rather large nail, said it’d be like a 2-hour wait, because it was a busy day, did I want to wait and be serviced.

I said no, I did not, but had no choice.

More good news ………… the tire was fixable, and no charge.

Good news because I’d spent most of my cash and, had the nail been embedded in an area where the tire was not patchable (that has happened to me in the past), I'd have been SOL because I'd left my credit card at home.

It's a blessing to have a car, not rely on public transportation; but it's also a headache as so much can go wrong, at any time.

I'm still not over the terror of the blowout I had a few months ago, and now this.

So, that was the agony and ecstasy of my day. More like ecstasy then agony.

Chocolate was intended for days like this. Fortunately, I’d just stocked up.

I did not watch yesterday’s game, but had timed it just right to tune in and catch halftime.

It was okay. At least Usher’s performance didn’t lull me to sleep like Rihanna's did last year.

My only criticism …… half time was just too short. It felt to me like Usher had been cheated on allotted time, compared to other halftime shows I’ve seen.

26 comments:

  1. Your windows just look like you hung some type of sheer drapes. Might try your bubbles in my windows. I only had flimsy single pane storms at one condo, and put the film kits up every year. The film is too thin to reuse. The best part of the Super Bowl was after the game cuz the Chiefs won. Metro school districts are out Wednesday for the parade! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a parade. Will it also be televised? Maybe they'll let Taylor do halftime entertainment next.

      Delete
    2. The parade will be televised by KCTV Channel 5 CBS in Kansas City area. Not sure about it being available elsewhere. Super Bowl half time entertainers are NOT paid AT ALL. Their sets, costumes, props and expenses are. NFL rules. She performed at Arrowhead stadium on her tours (when Travis was quietly chasing her to give her is phone number friendship bracelet.) They were dating a month before it went public. She has to be in Australia Friday night. Our Wednesday 11 am CT parade start and path is prepared if she is on Travis' bus, along with extra security. Her security detail is subtle but always present (look at those KISS videos and others.) Do you know how many new voters and political followers will do as she suggests if she reveals her choice? The DJT dork is already scared. She was pro-Biden last time. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. "(when Travis was quietly chasing her to give her is phone number friendship bracelet.)" So that's how it all began. You are just a wealth of information about this paring. After seeing photos of him yelling at his coach and then all wide eyed and then photos of him all wild mouthed yelling after the win, I'd be cautious if I were she because ....... football player = possibility of concussion = excessive anger. But if her paring with him aids the demise of No. 45, her sacrifice will not be in vain.

      Delete
  2. I read where Usher was given 13 minutes. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems short, especially since Rhianna went on for like forever doing nothing.

      Delete
  3. Ah, a football fan after my own heart. Complaining the half-time show was too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I gave myself away that football is not my thing, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Glad your tire was fixable and at no charge too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! That was a close one. I won't be forgetting to take cards with me when next out of the area.

      Delete
  5. I will have to search, but I once made a whole gown and up-do out of bubble wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find and post yourself in that outfit, because this I've got to see.

      Delete
  6. I think the inability to see clearly out of my windows would be claustrophobic for me, but if I had to I bet I could suck it up and put wrap on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bubble wrap = good idea.
    I've been to Bass Pro a few times, and I'm not surprised that people in there regularly tote firearms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inasmuch as they have to turn them over at the door, I'm surprised they just don't leave in the car.

      Delete
  8. I read years ago that bubble wrap is a really good window insulator. I use it on my bedroom windows and the difference is amazing. And it's reusable year after year! That was great luck they could fix your tire and didn't charge you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said no charge for fixing flat because, when time comes to replace tires, they figure I'll purchase from them. They are correct.

      Delete
  9. I am always thinking of the worst catastrophe as I travel about.( I think there is even a term to describe people like me.) So whenever I leave home, I think of what could happen and what I could do. What did we ever do without cell phones? I don't want to return to that era.

    Anyway, I always have my AAA card, driver's license, and a credit card, at the minimum, in my wallet. I also have water in my car as well as lots of Wet Wipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term to describe people like you, who prepare, is SMART. That was the first time I'd been caught unprepared. I can only attribute it to yet another senior moment.

      Delete
  10. I live in an open carry state so I have seen people all over wearing guns on their hips. When my brother and sister in law come for a visit they both wear their guns on their sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we're open carry but, obviously, there are exceptions or permits have been granted or people are considering it's better to have that kind of protection and carry illegally than to not carry and need it.

      Delete
    2. Wow, I just cannot get my head around people openly (or concealed) having to carry a weapon around. I know we have a problem with knife crime in certain parts of the UK but having to worry about people carrying a gun is scary.

      Delete
  11. I watched the game. And the halftime. Uh . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😲 Shock and Awe. You don't like Usher 😲 Are you a musical snob?

      Delete
  12. Well, Kansas has legal conceal carry, so we just never know. At least in Gunsmoke days (like Dodge City, KS) we could SEE the guns on their hips! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day, after jumping from a moving car because the date I was on had very bad intentions as to how the date would end, for a short time thereafter I had a conceal, with no license to carry, for protection when I went out. Then decided since dating had become so dangerous to just say no to guys wishing to date me. That conceal ended up gathering dust for years and years and years before I turned it over at a cash for conceals police event.

      Delete