Monday, February 19, 2024

Another Rainy Monday

Not loving having to leave my cocoon, head out on a Monday … in the rain to work out, but I’m glad someone is enjoying the wet weather.


Today is also President’s Day.

Hang in there Papa Joe

Plan for the weekend was to try out a recipe for gluten free Fastnacht's (also known as donut holes), but the recipe looked to be too much work. Not to mention that, when I picked up the can of baking powder — that I recently used in a recipe for gluten free blueberry cupcakes, oat flour pancakes, et al., I happened to notice the Best if Used by date.

May 11, 2022

I’m not wasting anything by tossing this long-ago expired product, because I found it all used up, empty.

I'd like to blame my lack of baking skills on having used an expired ingredient, but fact is cooking and baking in general are just not my thing. I do so only because my sensitive gut requires it.

So, morning workout over and done with, it's back into my cocoon until Wednesday, which btw, the weather people predict it will still be raining.

14 comments:

  1. We're supposed to have showers over here but only around mid-day Wednesday. Oh, and by the way, happy birthday (whenever it was).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got showers, we've got another flood warning and thanks. I don't celebrate or broadcast my DOB. I just let it happen and change the bio info.

      Delete
  2. When it comes to baking ingredients, I always try to buy small sizes so I can use them up before the expiry date. Those dates really do matter in baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realize things in cans had a date of expiration. Makes me wonder how useful it is for survivalist to stock up.

      Delete
  3. I just did a whole post for Fastnacht's Day which was last Tuesday. In PA Dutch a fastnacht is the whole donut, often square-ish, no hole, and not as sweet as regular donuts. Just barely crispy on the outside airy and fluffy inside. They are big business here on Fastnacht Day for us in PA, Maryland and New York, parts of Ohio.

    California should be a huge saturated sponge by now girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was your post that gave me the idea of looking for a recipe and yes, the drought is way behind us now.

      Delete
    2. It'll be nice knowing you won't have a rain deficit going into summer months but boy what a way to get all this rain. And by the way did you do anything for your birthday? If it already passed I hope it was a wonderful day for you Shirley.

      Delete
    3. Management will no longer have to paint the lawn green for a while. Loving the rain, the lawn is thriving. Thanks, but I haven't celebrated my birthday in years because it kinda sorta pisses me off that I'm still here.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe the amount of WET you’ve been getting. We think we’re always checking expiration dates, and then we find something that expired 2 years ago. Better than my mother who cabinets were filled with items expired decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steady pour has been going on all night and now all day. Where's it all coming from and why, I ask myself. I always check the dates on spices, but it was just happenstance my eyes caught a date on baking powder can. Who knew! Now I'll have to check everything.

      Delete
  5. I hadn't bought baking powder in years but I did so yesterday when I saw it in Dollar Tree so it was strange to see it mentioned today! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise I'm not spying on you. My detective senses don't reach that far šŸ•µ️

      Delete
  6. The Grandson Allen was big on telling me what was, or he thought was, "Expired"... it became a running Joke. If he ate something that had been mine, he'd say, it was gonna expire, so I ate it. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete