Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Rain Drops STILL Falling on my Head

I’m kinda enjoying this rainy weather …. so long as it gives me the occasional break to make it to the Pain Cave and to the market after without swimming to those locations, which it did this morning with a calm sky before the next storm hits.


I don’t have to head out again until Friday.

Received an email two days ago "Long Beach Pride Early Bird Ticekt Offer: $20 for a limited time!"

Because of the typo in ticket, I thought it might a trick from some spammer, but learned it’s for real.

Long Beach Pride is scheduled early — first Pride of the Season, May 18-19. Probably to make up for scheduling late last year; and the Parade is back, after absence of a parade last year, which is why I didn't attend.

The new great grand baby will be six months old in May, so thinking going to Pride this year would give me an opportunity to see the fam, that I might be allowed to hold the baby and kiss the great grandson this time, I decided to give Long Beach another go.

Returning to the complex after this morning’s workout and market run, booking a hotel turned into an all-afternoon ordeal.

Last visit, my preferred hotel let me down, so I decided it’s time for a change.

Even though I got stuck in the bathtub at the hotel closer to the ocean and shoreline village a decade or so ago, I wanted to book there because it’s more upscale, which translates into a safer area. I can walk around, visit the village, get close to the Queen.

Problem with booking there is that it’s too far from the festivities.

My other option was a kind of snooty clientele hotel closer to the festivities.

Downside of booking there, other than I don't care for snooty, is there wouldn't be too many sightseeing opportunities as it's located too far from shoreline village and the Queen, plus they have no microwave — which is essential for me.

Having a little crock pot that I can use as a microwave, I decided to book that snooty closer to the festivities hotel and, looking at how few rooms are available at the favored hotel (only 6 remaining), the one near shoreline village (7 remaining) and the one I booked (? available but only accepting nonrefundable prepaid), I’m glad I didn’t putz around and think too long about whether or not to go this year.

Can you believe it’s only February, the event is not until May, and it’s looking like hotel rooms will be gone before the week is over.

So, there’s that.

As for how I got stuck in a hotel bathtub — I think it was the Thanksgiving my sister hosted family at her place. I had injured my right shoulder in the office gym doing an overhead tricep extension from a bench position, which injury I later learned was a torn rotator cuff.

In the interim, before I sought treatment, I was using pain ointments and could not use my right arm, cause pressure to be put on that shoulder without searing pain. So, taking a bath in the hotel tub, when it was time to get out, trying to lift my body out of the tub with just the left arm wasn’t working. And, as the water drained completely out, and with the tub being rather small and slippery, I got stuck.

I don’t know how long I lay there ..... thinking about a solution to my predicament, squirming, wiggling, but somehow after the tub and my body became completely dry, which gave me some traction, I was able to extract myself.

I do know I stuck to showers thereafter and hopefully, by now, the hotel has upgraded their tubs to adult size as I would one day like to book there, visit shoreline village.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made the right choice in hotels for Pride this year. Yes, good thing you didn't dilly-dally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If attendees get desperate for lodging, and one of them offered me a million dollars, in cash, I'd give them the room, stay with Twin 1.

      Delete
  2. Yep, I got flights last November to a May Atlanta graduation to beat the higher prices. You could put that new baby in a backpack and go for your run! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself would love that, but they are so protective of their babies. Too protective. I don't think I'd even be allowed to be alone with them.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I’m so glad you didn’t suffer the indignity of being extracted from the tub by paramedics. Although have you seen some of those paramedics? Maybe you should give it more thought this time.

    Good thing you started “early” to make reservations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣 but honestly I did, at some point, think I was going to have to yell for help and hope for rescue ... at least by some handsome firemen.

      Delete
  4. It doesn't surprise me that hotel rooms were almost sold out. The whole travel industry is bonkers with pent up demand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crowds are certainly going to boost Long Beach's economy. Maybe they can use some of it to house their ballooning homeless population.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, getting stuck in the bathtub is like a nightmare. Bathtubs really should be bigger. At least you were able to get yourself out and didn't have to call the fire dept. you come rescue you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything on me was still firm and tight back then, so I'd not have been embarrassed. Not so firm and tight now, so I'd rather stay stuck.

      Delete
  6. Getting stuck in a bathtub would be my fear. Oh my. Also glad you made it out without having to swim home. I love rain but you're getting too much, but your drought must be over now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drought is way over. The ground has soaked up so much water that I'm wondering if we'll be getting sinkholes now.

      Delete
  7. Oh, that's a sad but hilarious story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A story sure to go down in family history ... grandma didn't get run over by a reindeer, but she did get stuck in a bathtub.

      Delete