Thursday, April 28, 2022

Just Sayin’

Watching the prisoner exchange of Trevor Reed for Konstantin Yaroshenko, on the news this morning, reminded me of Season 4 of Fargo, where Chris Rock was the lead character Loy Cannon.

In Season 4, to keep the peace, leader of each crime family traded their youngest son to be raised by the opposite side.

Loy’s family treated the kid they got in the swap like family. The kid lived like family, ate with the family, looked to be having a good time and thrived. While the life of Loy’s kid with the other family was tantamount to being in prison. His days were spent locked in a room with nothing but a bodyguard to make sure he didn’t escape and, while that family was enjoying huge family meals, Loy’s kid was being fed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

That’s what came to mind when I saw what terrible shape Trevor Reed was in — sunken eyes, couldn’t even walk without assistance, while Konstantin Yaroshenko looked like he’d just gotten back from vacation — refreshed, healthy, well fed.

So, obviously, we took better care of their child than they did ours.

Just sayin'.

This morning’s dental appointment for the last two fillings, did not go well inasmuch as I freaked out and created a scene.

I’d left the complex in time enough to stop by the library, watch the Canadian Geese.

It’s a good thing I stayed in the car because, at one point, the geese crossed the lawn, came straight towards the car, ended up right next to my passenger side window.


I think one was enjoying the country music coming through the radio.

Arriving at the dental office in a timely manner, the receptionist asked me to sign the summary of work to be done — two fillings and an additional $350 for something I did not recognize.

"What’s that?" I asked before signing and paying for today’s procedure.

"It’s a mouth guard to keep you from grinding your teeth at night".

"I don’t want that".

"But the dentist recommended it".

"I didn’t agree to it. I don’t want it".

So that taken off the bill, I paid and was promptly seated in the dentist’s chair around 11:05.

And there I waited, and waited, and waited.

Eventually a woman came in, took my blood pressure (144/69).

"Do you have heart problems", she asked.

Thinking it a strange question, I started to be a smartass, say "I don’t have a heart", but just said "no".

She left and I waited some more.

She eventually returned, said the pressure was too high, per the doctor, took it again (123/69).

After more waiting, a young dentist came in, introduced himself.

He wasn’t the dentist I’d been working with (Dr. A), but he seemed personable, the fillings were easy peasy with Dr. A., I expected these last two fillings to be just as easy peasy, so I let it slide that young Doogie Howser would be doing the two fillings instead.

"Do you have heart problems" he asked.

Again, it was "no" as I wondered why they'd ask that question and he went on to say he was going to give me time to relax, let the pressure go down.

I’m thinking what the heck, because the pressure was down, according to the last check.

It was then I realized I was being stalled because Doogie was working on another patient in the next space over.

I didn’t like that assembly line dentistry, just like at the other dental office, but didn’t say or do anything about it as I waited more.

Eventually, Doogie came back in, gave me two numbing shots which hurt like hell.

I attributed it to the fact he was rushing, multitasking, working on two patients at the same time, going back and forth.

Once again left alone for the shots to take effect, I began thinking how I didn’t even feel the shots given by Dr. A, and that if Doogie’s shots hurt as much as they did, how was his work on the fillings going to go.

Was that why they kept asking about my heart? Was he going to hurt me into heart failure if I had a weak heart?

All of a sudden, the still small voice inside spoke up and said "Leave".

Now, that voice is usually only heard in deep meditation on rare occasions. So, the fact that it was speaking at this time and place meant something.

I actually sat straight up in the chair when I heard it say "leave", grabbed my bag and was getting out of the chair poised to do just that ... leave (I'd been there since 11:00, it was now 11:55).

Doogie chose that moment to walk back in, ready to begin work, asking if I felt numb now.

"Yes, but I don’t feel comfortable with you".

Poor baby looked like I’d struck him.

"With me?" he quizzedly asked.

"Yes. Those shots you gave me really hurt. I’m now worried about how the rest will go. The doctor who worked on me before was so gentle that I didn’t even feel his shots".

"Dr. A. isn’t working today" said his assistant.

"I’ll come back when he is", said I.

"But you’re already numb" said she.

I began hysterically screeching "I’m scared! ... I’m scared!! ... I’m scared!!!

Everyone scattered.

I left with an appointment to return tomorrow at 2:00, when Dr. A will be doing the shots, working on the fillings.

If I hadn’t already paid, I’d probably not go back.

When I return tomorrow, I expect I’ll either be serviced immediately and with kid gloves or given a refund and told never to return.

I’m good with either one.

If and when these last two fillings are done, Hell will freeze over before I submit to any further dental work — other than regular cleanings.

8 comments:

  1. Goodness griefus! Yes, dentists usually work with more than one patient at a time, because two are in various stages of prep or work done, but has to "set" before continuing. Yep, they should have discussed the mouth guard need and cost before adding it to your bill. Most dentists these days put a numbing ointment on your gums before giving the deeper numbing down the nerve shot; kind of like adult strength OraGel from the days when we gave it to teething babies. Ask for that and see what happens. Of course, some injections are felt more than others depending on the location and how deep the nerve is that needs to be numbed. No caffeine before your next trip. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did use the numbing ointment, but Doogie was so rough that it didn't work. You're right about caffeine. I forgot not to drink it this morning.

      Delete
  2. The patient has the right to control the procedure. You withdrew your legal consent, which was your right no matter the reason. I hope things go much better with Dr A tomorrow. They should not have substituted dentists on you without prior permission, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt ... they should not have substituted dentists.

      Delete
  3. Good for you for sticking up for yourself. Maybe the dental practice will learn something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like they did learn something. Will now be notifying patients when there's a substitution.

      Delete
  4. I think you were right to stand up (literally) for yourself and get outta there. And what's with adding a $350 mouth guard without talking with you about it beforehand?!
    Good luck today, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe this is the first time they've added that $350 charge and switched doctors on a patient. Maybe others just let it slide.

      Delete