Saturday, April 2, 2022

Blustery Day

Today is Week 3 of the all-day Breaking Bad Marathon — two Saturdays to go.

We’re at the point in the saga where Walter White aka Heisenberg is no longer the criminal nice guy but an unlikeable criminal bully.

Since I had business outside the area planned for today, I’d previously set today’s 14 episodes to record for later viewing and head out.

The cold dreary blustery weather precluded all that, so it was TV, needlepoint and trying out a recipe I’d seen on Food Network last week.

One of the things I miss, from all the MANY things I can no longer eat because of my gut issues is turkey dogs. The ingredient of garlic and onions can and does cause distress.

I looked high and low for hotdogs that do not include those ingredients, but no go. Even the vegan brands include garlic/onions. I’ve not enjoyed a hotdog of any kind in the last five years.

Then this kid on Top Chief Family Style was tasked, on the Quickfire Challenge, with creating a dish that could go viral.

He took carrots, peeled them down to the size of a hotdog, marinaded them in some stuff, roasted, slapped into a bun and VOILÀ! — a Carrot Dog.

I eat a lot of carrots — raw, carrot soup, roasted so last time at the market I picked up gluten-free buns and put the recipe on my list of things to do when there was time to test out.

Today was that day and lo and behold it was a WINNER.

The carrots I chose were about the correct size as is, so all I needed to do was peel and cut off the ends.



After marinating the carrots in olive oil, vegetable broth, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, stevia (as a substitute for the recipe calling for maple syrup, which is also no longer allowed), roasting 30 minutes in the oven covered, 15 minutes uncovered, I ended up with the best hotdog I’ve ever had.


Seriously.

The best.

Did it taste like a turkey dog?

Believe it or not, it actually did.

The bun is causing some minor difficulty because, though it was labeled "gluten free" my gut detected traces of (not permitted for me) soy protein and cornstarch.

I hollowed out and tossed most of the bready part but, in future, I'll be trying a safer vehicle than a bun — a corn tortilla perhaps.

Looking at the ramifications of Will Smith resigning from the Academy, insofar as being consequences for his actions, I don’t see any consequences.

He keeps his Oscar, he can still get invited to future Awards ceremonies, he can still be nominated for future consideration. It seems the only thing he can’t do is vote as a member of the Academy.

Big Whoop!

With his own production company, he doesn’t need membership in the Academy. So, looks like his consequences will be the shame of knowing the whole world has seen this previously hidden side of him, the loss of respect from his peers and perhaps less support (ticket sales) for future films projects.

Inasmuch as Jada is now catching so much heat, doesn’t necessarily need him, has previously demonstrated she doesn’t respect him, I’m wondering if she’ll drop him like a hot potato — the “D” word.

14 comments:

  1. A carrot dog - I guess I'll have to believe you that it is good. At any rate I'm glad you found a substitute you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try. Once marinated, it even looks like a Jennie-O brand turkey dog.

      Delete
  2. That carrot hot dog sounds amazing! Who would have ever thought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, my husband just yesterday said he misses hot dogs. We don't eat them any more, same reason, all the junk in them bad for our gut. Even the "organic" ones. Ugh. I am all over this and going to try it for us. We eat low-carb, too, so it will be a treat. We've struggled with bread options for gluten free and low carb, too. I just gave up and we make our own, mostly the fat-head dough versions of things, though it's made with cheese and cream cheese, and we have to moderate dairy, too. Thanks for your "dog" review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this is helpful. Gut issues are not fun. The marinade recipe I used was for 8 carrots. 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 cup veggie broth (I use the Fody Foods brand), 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (I used the Colgin brand which is safe for us), substituted 1/2 tsp maple syrup with a little Stevia, substituted 2 tsp soy sauce with coconut amino. Wisk all that. Pour over carrots, cover with foil, let sit in fridge for 30 minutes, bake 425 oven covered 30 minutes, remove foil, bake additional 10/15 minutes until tender enough stab with fork. Enjoy!!!

      Delete
    2. P.S. I forgot to mention, but hope it's understood, that the carrots remain in the marinade while roasting in the oven.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I'm gonna try this "hot dog" recipe! You say it's a weiner... erm, winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Carrot Dogs look interesting and if they taste great, it's a Winner you found a great substitute. A Friend of mine whose been a Vegetarian for Decades had been suddenly missing BBQ, she hadn't had anything BBQ that was like BBQ Meats for over 25 Years. So, I introduced her to BBQ Jackfruit, which tastes just like pulled Pork and can have the BBQ Sauce and all... she was in Heaven. As for the Smiths... over it... I think all the publicity the Slap got was a bit much... diversion and distraction from Real Issues I suppose, since the World is way more screwed up right now and much more 'shocking' things happening than CR getting Bitch slapped. Personally, I've seen much worse happen at the Oscars over the Years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your previous post about jack fruit, but can't get over how alien looking it is. Next time I'm at sprouts, perhaps I'll give the canned version a taste try.

      Delete
    2. Get the fresher version often Sold in the Vegan Meat Substitute Aisles at Grocers like 'Sprouts'. Canned anything always tastes tinny to me.

      Delete
  6. That carrot trick is amazing. Never heard of such a thing. I'm going to try it with the Grand Girls next visit. I think they'll get a kick out of sharing this trick.

    ReplyDelete