Thursday, April 14, 2022

Clean Freak

Yesterday was cra cra.

After that morning’s workout, I returned to the unit with plans to do a final sweep of the somewhat improved kitchen tile with the steamer but then, before I did, decided I had energy enough, the weather was warm enough and it would behoove me to first clean the carpets.

After the first pass with the carpet cleaner, I went to dispose of dirty water in the sink. Lo and Behold, there wasn’t any. The dirty water tank was dry.

So, where did the water go you ask.

Soaked into the carpet it was. The cleaner was just dumping clean water into the carpet as I went along.

Now left with a carpet full of water, not wanting it to turn into mildew, not being able to figure out what the problem with the cleaner was, and needing it fixed ASAP, instead of heading to the repair shop, I headed to a big box store, purchased a new cleaner.

Crisis averted as the new Bissell Turboclean is lighter than the Hoover Power Scrub, after-care cleaning is easier and it not only did a fine job of cleaning, but also sucked up the excess water.

Bone weary and totally exhausted by the end of it all, with a step count of 6,947 — close to 3.50 miles, it was a nice Epsom salt soak in the tub last night.

I admit to being somewhat of a clean freak.

After I had to move out of the senior unit I'd previously lived in (moved out and relocated to keep a relative from ending up homeless) management, while doing a walkthrough of the unit asked, "How long have you lived here?"

"Seven years" was my reply.

To which management said it was hard to believe, inasmuch as the unit was so well-maintained.

I've run into people with the attitude of not maintaining their living space because, "It's not mine, it's the landlord's problem" or, like my original next door neighbor, Debbie — perfectly nice woman, perfectly sane, they just don't care about living in filth.

The walls of Debbie's unit were black from her smoking, the carpets so filled with dirt and dog mess that you couldn't even tell what color it originally was and, when she opened her door, an odor would waft out that I could smell when my door was closed.

Debbie would actually entertain with her unit in that condition. She had a boyfriend who'd regularly visit and a prayer group.

When she suddenly passed away, management had to gut the entire unit. Not only rip out the carpet, but replace counter tops and cabinetry, much like they probably had to do with Bird Man's unit.

In my thinking, a well-maintained living space is good chi, keeps the flow of positive energy flowing but, what with all the recurring effort I have to put in to keep the chi flowing in my little unit, I don’t know how you people in houses manage. Plus, you have yards to maintain.

Waking up this morning ready to seize the day, it was another Epsom soak, followed by that last steamer pass — and not a minute too soon, as the scrubber nozzle on the Wagner Power Steamer conked out.

I’ll try getting a replacement before considering a new steamer, but it may be a clean sweep (see what I did there) insofar as cleaning equipment. In addition to the new carpet cleaner, a new vacuum and steamer may be in my future.

Thinking back on that bug dream, interpreted to mean "Unpleasant conditions will arise in your daily life", I wonder if this is it …. aggravations caused by cleaning equipment conking out. If so, out of all the things it could have been, I’m okay with these little bugs.

So, anyway, everything done for the time being, equipment put away, I am free to focus on this afternoon’s Bingo game.

Before I sign off for the day, if you’re wondering about the pineapple upside down cake — brown rice flour absolutely did work as the base for the cake. What didn’t work out with the amount of sugar involved. I’ve been off sugar for years and years and years, so the brown sugar topping and cane sugar in the batter made the cake cloyingly sweet. Sugar absolutely killed the pineapple flavor.

Now that I know my gut will accept brown rice flour, next time I have a craving, I’ll try the recipe again, but cut down on the sugar. Maybe even substitute stevia for cane in the batter.

And yes, I did check doneness by listening for a sizzle.

8 comments:

  1. You can come and clean our house any time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are every landlord's dream tenant, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a horror to realize all the water was on the carpet! Ack! So the equipment fizzled, but you could still hear a sizzle with the cake. Hooray! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea the panic just thinking of what damage that water could do if allowed to soak into the carpet all night, but all's well that ends well. Didn't hear the cake sizzle, which meant it was done. Listening works with cupcakes as well.

      Delete
  4. I'll also ask for your housecleaning services cuz, damn gurl, you're good ... better than Carlos and me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos is a "star". Stars don't perform manual labor :-)

      Delete