Friday, April 29, 2022

Gaggle of Geese

Arriving at the dental office five minutes before my 2:00 appointment, unlike yesterday’s 55-minute wait and two painful shots before Doogie was ready to start the procedure, today I was immediately seated in the chair, the assistant took my BP (132/78), Dr. A came in, gave me two painless shots, did the two fillings and I was in the car on the way home at 2:24.

I guess it’s true what they say — "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" except, in my case, it was dramatically screeching "I’m scared … I’m scared … I’m scared".

It was totally out of character for me to have lost my cool, but I guess it needed to be done because the receptionist said, "Maybe we should let patients know when there’s a substitution of doctors".

Ya think?

No maybe about it, they probably discussed my freakout and determined the new policy would be to let the patient know. I won’t agree to a substitution, but at least I won’t be ambushed again.

Knowing I wouldn’t be travelling through the area of the library for a few months — when I go back for a cleaning, I made time to visit the Canadian Geese on the way to the dental office.


It was a gaggle of geese. I counted eight.

Seeing a landscaper running a sprinkler, watering the library lawn (this after the Metropolitan Water District declared a drought emergency, asking us to cut down on outdoor watering), I walked over and asked "Where are all the geese coming from?"

"The lake" said he.

"There’s a lake around here?" asked I.

"Yes. Are you new to the area?"

I didn’t want to look stupid for not knowing we have a lake, so I lied and said "yes".

"Well, if you drive straight down this street (pointing right), you’ll run right into Secombe Lake".

Looking online, I see the lake is only 2.5 miles away, but I won’t be checking it out any time soon because it’s described by visitors as "Homeless and drug ridden location, not the best for children but has 2 playgrounds and largemouth bass in lake” … “Its’ trashy and its one of those places where you need to grow eyes in the back of your head. Water looks filthy".

No wonder the geese are migrating over to the well-kept area of the library.

There’s a news article indicating the city, in February, received $9 million in federal aid for upgrades to the lake, playground area and walking trail. So maybe I’ll check out the lake if and when upgrades are done. I won’t be risking any walking trail though.

9 comments:

  1. Hate to say it, but I'm a tad suspicious that two cavities were done in 24 minutes. Must've been tiny?
    I'm thinking the geese look a bit stoned if they're coming from the druggie lake. Usually they're closer together when out and about. They'll be happy if the renovations ever get done. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, they were tiny. I didn't want to wait until they became a big deal. Druggy lake, filthy water ... can't be healthy for them.

      Delete
  2. I loathe the dentist but it helps that mine is very gentle, and quite good looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are about looks helping. I looked forward to dental visits when the handsome Dr. Mc Dreamy was my dentist. Doogie was cute, but too painful. So now I'll exchange looks for a pain-free dentist.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad everything went smoothly this time at the dentists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what those Canadian geese are doing in the parking lot. Can't be anything to eat there. But then I read how the drug dealers apparently have driven them away from the lake. Good plan: no walking trails taken around the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pecking around eating something from the ground, very much like our Karen. Something dropping from the trees maybe ... again like our Karen, or worms.

      Delete
  5. I think you did the right thing leaving yesterday and waiting for the doc that you wanted to see. They should tell you if you aren't going to be seeing the doctor that you thought you were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will in future. I'm sure of it. On the other hand, after the scene I caused, they know my preference is Dr. A and will be afraid to set me up with anyone else. LOL.

      Delete