Thursday, December 2, 2021

Reset

It’s taken over a week to recover and reset from last week’s deviation from my normal schedule, caused by travelling to the family get-together.

My sleep pattern has been off since I returned and, up until midway through yesterday’s Pain Cave workout, I’d been struggling until something clicked and I began to feel like my old pre-Thanksgiving self.

Guess I just needed endorphins and a reset into a normal schedule.

Waking up this morning amped and ready to go, I was surprised to learn the date was December 2nd.

I’d not realized we’d slipped out of November and were in December until I saw the date on a blog I was reading. “Good thing I always pay my rent early”, thought I, “otherwise I’d be late with payment”.

Partially to blame for my not knowing we were in December is the absence of a Monthly Activity Calendar posted to the door.

With no Arts and Crafts until the Tyrant stops robbing Peter to pay Paul, and with the advent of Omnicron, there’s probably not much to see on the calendar, but it does help to track, even if I do still get confused as to the date, at least the proper month I’m in.

The sun was up, the wind was down today. Feeling the need to get out and walk, instead of heading for the college, I headed to the market — the one with the Security Guard.

I needed absolutely nothing from the market but, not wanting to seem suspicious, I came up with a few things I would eventually need, so I could hunt for Ginger the Elf.

Today was my lucky day. Security Guard was not on duty, nor was there a substitute. The market was back to having employees manning the door, more specifically this time it was the elderly white-haired gentleman that I’d previously blogged about as being forced by the economy to return to the workforce, employed to bag groceries.

Could it be store management has dispensed with uniformed security altogether?

I certainly hope so, but only time will tell.

At any rate, after going up one isle, down another, looking high, looking low, checking corners, picking up olive oil, disinfecting wipes, a couple of tomatoes, brown jasmine rice as I went along — again, to not appear to be there just to find the elf, which I actually was, I walked away having seen no sign of Ginger.

I did, however, get a little over 1,000 steps in.

Unless I can come up with a need, which it doesn’t look like, I don’t see another opportunity to hunt for Ginger until around next Wednesday.

Returning to the complex, I found management had finally posted this month’s Activity Calendar to our doors.

As I’d surmised, there was nothing on it — except mention of a “Best Decorated Patio/Balcony” contest and an attachment indicating “Any vehicle parked on the premise that does not have a parking permit or is parked in someone’s assigned space will be towed at the owner’s expense”.

Just so there’s no mistake and management has not contracted some crooked tow service to come in and accidentally on purpose not see stickers and start willy nilly towing vehicles out, the plan is, when I head out tomorrow for Friday’s workout, to snap a photo of my car’s sticker from the vantage of how the tow truck would be looking.

If they say it wasn’t there or they’d made a mistake because it wasn’t visible, I can call ‘em out on the lie.

If it sounds like I don’t trust management, or any of their outside hires, it’s because I’ve seen enough of the shenanigans to not trust them.

Remainder of the afternoon was putting in some time on that baby quilt.

After taking it apart two times, because first I didn’t like the traditional grid of sewing through the design, and then didn’t like it when I sewed around the design to outline it, I was ready to trash the quilt, reorder fabric and start all over. Then I thought to test out a broken grid layout — where the blocks are around the design.

Love it, and I’m finally making some headway.

I’m re-scheduled for that booster shot this Saturday so, if my arm isn’t sore ... or I don't land in jail because if they don't fix the whiteout situation by giving me a new card, I'm gonna go full out Karen, I might finish the quilt this weekend.

Too bad granddaughter is not having twins, because I went a little overboard, purchased more nursery fabric than I need.

I’ll probably just keep making quilts until the fabric is gone and give her a bundle of them.

6 comments:

  1. Ah the old retired person questions, what day is it? Hell if I know. What's today's date? Beats me! What month is it? Wait, I might know this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also stunned that it was December. I have no idea where the time went!

    Oh, and I voted again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote! and all I want for Christmas is for time to slow down.

      Delete
  3. Glad your quilt is taking shape. Perhaps you could make a regular size quilt for home use and a smaller one for travel to use in the car or on a stroller.

    Can't believe they would tow away residents cars, talk about authoritarian. Surely they could give the tow company a list of residents cars so they don't get towed!

    Good luck on the Elf search 😁.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One for the stroller and to use in the car or stroller are great ideas. We do have stickers on our cars but, for some reason, that didn't stop a tow truck from coming in and putting a neighbor's car on the truck to haul away. She had to pay them to take it off the truck ... $75. Seemed like a scam to me.

      Delete