Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Do You See What I See, Part 2

Running low on a few items gave me the excuse I needed to pop into the market, hunt for the Elf, after yesterday’s workout.

It appears Spider (the icky security guard) is gone for good, and it’s safe to go back to my regular shopping location and time, because he’s been absent for weeks.

This time, there was a young security guard at the station.

He appeared to be smiling through his mask when he said “Hello, I like your mask”.

Inasmuch as he came across as normal friendly, not sinister manipulative like Spider, I smiled back through my mask, said hello and thank you.

After a time, having not much luck finding the Elf, I was ready to admit defeat, but then decided to check the Liquor Department.

No luck.

While standing in the Liquor Department, I turned around, stood still, and slowly began scanning far and near areas of the market I could see from that vantage point.

I spotted something red.

Gotcha!



Had I turned that corner and looked up, I’d probably not have seen the Elf. She was mostly only visible from where I was standing in the Liquor Department.

So that’s another successful hunt.

I finished the second attempt at a baby quilt over the weekend.

Having pretty much polished up on my long ago last used quilting skills on the first quilt, which on the surface looked okay, but I was not happy with, work on the second quilt was fast, neat, and the finished product is super cute.

While I was in the mood, I quickly also knocked out a quilted blanket, then designed, printed to fabric and attached my own label.

Quilt

Blanket


I was going to cut up and toss the first quilt, but then I thought it’s not horrible, and Twin 2’s very spoiled Jack Russell Terrier would enjoy it. So, I’ll be gifting that one to Patches.

The Dog's Quilt

Those are small unicorns on the back side, but Patches will probably think they’re small dogs.

Because I’d initially purchased fabric from the craft store, but then saw much nicer fabric panels online, I’ve leftovers, which I thought to turn into receiving blankets and burping cloths, but nah.

Though I can and do occasionally sew, sewing is not my favorite craft. I’m ready to get the sewing machine and tools out of the way, regain my space, so I’ll donate the extra fabric to someone somewhere.

As if I’d not been busy enough yesterday, what with working out, hunting for the elf, attaching the label to the quilt and blanket, when I saw I had leftover chili enough for dinner last night and today, I thought to stretch it into more than just two meals by using the chili as tamale filling.

I’ve pretty much got the art of tamale making for the single woman down to quick, fast, easy.

Ended up with 13 tamales, six meals and one for breakfast this morning.

The rain storm we were told to expect, hit the area in the early morning hours. So, today is looking like an uneventful day inside.

14 comments:

  1. Ooooooo, I love tamales. Please post your recipe and "how to." If it's for single women, I qualify! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep organic yellow masa harina and corn husks on hand for when the mood hits. Filling last night was leftover chili, but can be shredding one of those store-bought cooked chickens. First thing is to soften the corn husks by soaking in hot water. While that’s going, I put 2 cups of masa in the mixer, a little salt, chili powder, cumin, no baking powder (because my gut issues don’t tolerate it), heat up about 2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth, with 1 tablespoon olive oil, set the mixer to go and slowly add in the hot liquid. I let that sit while I clean and set the corn husks to dry for 10/15 minutes. When I return to the masa, I add more warm liquid until it LOOKS and FEELS spreadable, then get to spreading on cornhusks, wrap, then steam in the crockpot for about 30 minutes. May not be authentic Mexican tamales, with fattening lard, but tasty to me, and with far less time and fuss in the making.

      Delete
    2. Got it! Took a photo of your recipe. Thanks! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. Good luck with it. Once you get the hang of spreading masa and rolling the husks, it's easy peasy. Also, If you're using store bought chicken as a filling, it's always nice to add a little sauce before you roll, like chili or enchilada sauce.

      Delete
  2. Your unicorn baby quilts are ADORABLE! They should become family heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will ... even the dog's quilt. Though it will end up torn, tattered, shredded, it will be cleaned and kept as a memento. We are THAT family.

      Delete
  3. I remember the elf but not the premise. Do you get any prizes for finding it for so many days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No premise. Just a fun thing to "Find Your Hometown Elf". Prize is a teeny tiny candy cane AND satisfaction of finding.

      Delete
  4. Both of those quilts are nice, but I do like the second one more for some reason. You got some talents girl.

    See , people laugh, but liquor has always brough me good luck. Had you not went into that area, you'd never spotted Elf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that you like the second one more AND liquor does serve a purpose, you naughty mistress you.

      Delete
  5. Loving the dark quilt and unicorn. You've got an eye for Elf spotting.

    Every years Carlos and I have what's called a Cinco de Never party--because Carlos kept telling people about it and then never planned it--and now we make two hundred tamales! It's a lot of work, but we love 'em, and have enough left over for us to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 200 is a lot for only two people working the line. You need to change de Never party to a come over and help us make tamales party.

      Delete
  6. Darling quilt. I'm sure Patches will absolutely love her gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get a photo of Patches lying on the quilt before HE chews it up :-)

      Delete