Friday, May 11, 2018

The Party’s Over

First, we had excessive heat warnings.
Then, we had an earthquake followed by several more days of excessive heat, including yesterday’s warning.
I wake up this morning to rain.
It’s so bizarre, but I’m grateful for the cooler weather -- so I could open the patio sliding glass doors, let in fresh air, rather than run the A/C all day.
I had to pretty much immediately close myself up again when a sound nearing my area became so loud that it overrode volume on the television.
It was the landscaper's motorized lawnmower.
This too I found bizarre, inasmuch as it was raining. But I guess a schedule is a schedule.
I was spared the buzz saws and blowers because by the time they arrived beneath my patio, I was in the Community Room attending Apache’s 62nd birthday party and, thankfully, it was a complete success.
Shadow actually did make a cake.


I applaud him for baking, but I guess he’s not good at spelling because, in trying to shorten Happy Birthday to Happy Birth in liquorish (which I thought was a cute idea), he transposed the i and R.
Of course, I couldn’t eat any but, truth be known, even when I could eat whatever I liked, I didn’t eat just anybody’s food and Shadow is one I would not have trusted his hygiene enough to eat a slice.
No one commented on how it tasted and, as far as I know, no one died, so I guess the cake was okay.
The ratio of attendees who contributed with a dish was, as usual, disproportionate to the number of attendees who came to eat, but we managed.


The little lady that tried to collect money for deli fried chicken, with folks not wanting to contribute, ended up frying chicken her own darn self.
Two different residents brought big pots of pasta, someone contributed shoestring potatoes, The Baker made a delicious looking macaroni salad, another resident made a salsa/chips tray and there were two different kinds of popcorn.
I don’t know who made popcorn, don’t know why, but this afternoon is movie night, so the popcorn will be consumed.
The ice cream was a welcome addition, and though I sprung for the ginormous party pack, thinking there’d be plenty left over for movie night, the bucket was down to ¼ remaining in no time.



Of course, Apache got a kick out of my Success by Trump Eau de Cologne gift.


He declared to attendees that “I’ll be smelling like Trump”, to which I replied, “That means you’ll stink”.
All in all, Apache was a happy camper, especially when he looked at the back of one card and found so many ladies had left a lipstick print.



Even Shadow was impressed, uttering a “Wowwwww” because he only had one on his card.
Yet again, The Seer was not amused. She says “It’s stupid” that women do that.
Whatever.
At any rate, the party was a success, and is over and done with -- thanks be to the Universe.

1 comment: