Friday, May 25, 2018

Sleeping My Life Away

I don’t know if it’s the weather, but yesterday found me sleeping my life away.
The sleeping fever actually began Wednesday afternoon, when I fell asleep in the middle of playing Candy Crush on the laptop. I slapped myself awake and drank coffee to stay alert because Survivor Finale was on TV that night.
After a good night’s sleep, I performed my morning ritual the next day (Thursday) and, after breakfast, I sat on the couch to watch television and promptly fell asleep, in full metal jacket – face made up, street clothes on. I should probably describe it as having passed out, because I didn’t wake up until a little after 5:00 in the afternoon.
I totally missed Judge Judy!
After all that sleeping, I had no trouble going to bed that night, at my regular time, and falling fast asleep.
Slated to attend movie night in the Community Room, 4:00 today, because Black Panther was showing, feeling once against sleepy during the day, I set the alarm for 3:30, the DVR to record Judy, managed to stay awake and went down to the Community Room shortly before 4:00.
I was back in my unit by 4:30. Not because I was sleepy, but because two women in the Community Room wouldn’t shut up. Talking about their dogs, I couldn’t hear what was being said on the screen.
Many times, I’d turn around, look at them, give them the “Are you kidding look”, turn back, shake my head.
They saw it, stopped talking for a second, then started up again.
When I felt myself getting to the point where I didn’t think I could control myself any longer, and was on the verge of screaming at them, I stood up, told the President of the Residents Volunteer Activity Committee (RVAC), “Will you see to it the DVD is returned to me when the movie is over. I can’t hear it here, with all this chatter, and will watch it in my unit where I can enjoy it” and walked out of the room, eyes of the talkers on me.
Too bad The Seer wasn’t in attendance, because I’d like to know how insulted the two talkers were, and what they said about my making a scene.
I’d asked to have the DVR returned to me because it was mine. I’d just gotten it -- same day I purchased the new printer. I’d walked into Target a few doors down from Best Buy and there it was.
I was so excited about finding the DVD, when everywhere I’d looked (including that Best Buy) were only offering Blu-Ray, that I’d posted the find to Facebook. Apache saw the posting and asked if the RVAC could show it today.
Sure said I, and I waited to see it with the folks.
Won’t do that again.
And when Avengers Infinity War comes out on DVD and Apache asks if he can show it to the folks, I’ll probably say no. Evidently, residents come for the snacks and to chitchat, not the movie, so to heck with ‘em. But hopefully, those two rude women got the message and let others enjoy the movie after I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment