Thursday, May 3, 2018

Just Because

Residents/Management’s meeting is not until the 17th. So, unless info leaks from the front office, we won’t know the outcome of the re-inspection until then. However, it appears to me – from the mean-looking regulator having seemingly pointed out the cobwebs on downstairs neighbors’ patio, that he was nit-picking. That his agenda was to find some little thing wrong to justify suspicions there was skullduggery in the complex doing so well during the previous inspection.
Consequently, I’m guessing the complex will pass this re-inspection, but the rating will drop a few points ... just because.
Reminds me of the time many moons ago when my tax return was audited.
The licensed preparer, who had a tax business on the side, was a guy who did most of the tax returns for those of us at the agency where we all worked. Only, he fudged on some of the returns to help his friends get money back. Like one guy told me he was claiming dependents he didn’t have.
I, of course, being a straight arrow, submitted an honest return. However, because the IRS received so many suspicious returns from the same preparer, agents came to our office and questioned each of us that had used this guy to prepare our taxes.
The fudging was uncovered, money had to be repaid by individuals and even though I had all my receipts and claimed nothing I was not entitled to, the agents had me repay $32.
Why?
No valid reason was ever found or given.
It was just because.
The preparer didn’t lose his side-business so, wanting to prove a point – to clap back at the IRS for unnecessarily having me pay back a nominal sum on principle -- just because, I on principle used the same preparer again the following year and the year after that, so on and etc., until I changed jobs, lost contact, and began using a guy with a side business at my new place of employment.
Management has been too busy to post this month’s Calendar of Events to our doors, but word-on-the-street is a Mother’s Day Potluck on the 15th and a Memorial Day Potluck on the 22nd.
I imagine it will be the Activity Director with her usual menu of hot dogs, and the handful of us who always contribute bringing in side dishes, with hordes of the takers who never contribute gobbling it up, but it is what it is.
Some of the people around her wonder why the Universe is not prospering them as it prospers others with health, vitality, ease of financial matter. Based on what I learned yesterday about not wanting to contribute to Apache's party, but willing to come, eat, enjoy, I can clearly see it’s because, with all their praying and church going, they’re like the Dead Sea. They have an inlet, but no outlet. The waters of life just turn stale in them because they complain (the exercise class) but never get off their butts to participate, and because they take but do not give.

5 comments:

  1. Meet the regulator at the door in the buff! That will throw his game off a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your IRS situation is amusing. Our long-time tax preparer wouldn't let us take any deduction that might be questioned. I always thought he was such a straight arrow. We were never audited. But, we learned that he had conned some of this clients into investing boatloads of money in a scheme that had a ponzi twist to it. He was sent to jail for a long time and I had to find a new tax agent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you dodged a bullet that he didn't try to suck you into his scheme.

      Delete
    2. He knew we didn't have any money!

      Delete