Thursday, July 4, 2024

Happy Birthday America

Insofar as I know, there’s not a lot going on around here in terms of celebrating, and it’s going to be too hot for me to step outside, check the pool area to see if I'm wrong.

I do know the pool has been busy this week, not only with little stalker’s family, but I saw a couple other groups — children accompanied by adults I've not seen around before, going to/from the pool.

So much for the new pool rule — "residents only and only two guests per resident".

No matter to me the rule is not being followed, because I don’t live over the pool to be disturbed by the hoop and holler of kids. If I did live over the pool, it still would be no matter to me, as I like the sound of kids enjoying themselves.

On Tuesday, I found an Activity Calendar for this month attached to the door.

I didn’t notice it until 10:30 a.m., glanced at it briefly and saw there was a 4th of July event scheduled for the Community Room THAT MORNING — "Social 4th of July celebration: Come celebrate 4th of July in the Community Room and enjoy a donut! 10:00 am – 11:30 am".

Really? A whole donut? Golly gee wow, management went all out, bared no expense.

With such late notice, I figured few, if any, had seen the Calendar posted to their doors: ergo, few would show up. So, I quickly threw on my summer outfit, headed down to check things out.

I was correct — few were in attendance, actually three ladies, one being the Baker.

The one box of store-bought donuts was festive though. Had red/white/blue sprinkles on them, LOL.

It was there, in the Community Room, I learned why we’d had no Activity Calendar posted to our doors last month ………… we didn’t have an Activity Director last month, she’d quit. We now have a new AD.

I do not have high hopes of the new AD getting things up and moving around here insofar as activities for us seniors, not just because though money is budgeted for activities but not always provided to the AD, but because, according to her, she has no experience, doesn’t know what is generally or usually done as an AD.

The Baker has taken it upon herself to work with this new AD, make suggestions. So, we’ll see how it goes because folks around here really need something to do with their time.

This became apparent to me when Little Stalker knocked knocked knocked on the door yesterday, and I went downstairs to gossip chat with Grandma Talker.

Hearing voices, Next Door Neighbor actually walked out onto her patio to listen. Didn't say anything, just looked/listened.

I don't know who lives in the upstairs unit across the quad directly adjacent to mine, because in all these years, I've never seen that person open their blinds.

However, not only did NDN come out, as Talker and I were chatting, but I saw the blinds AND window open on that unit.

When all one has is to jump up, run to the patio and/or open the window to see who's talking, what's being said, they really need something to do with their time.

The month of June has come/gone and still no sign of the usual rent increase.

It’s too much to hope that means we’ll not get an increase this year, it will come but, inasmuch as 30-days’ notice has to be given, the longer they delay the bad news is to our benefit of an additional month at the current rate.

The lady that moved into Red Light’s unit continues to get special care by the County, which makes me think she might be ill.

Looks can be deceiving, one never knows what another is challenged with, so though she doesn’t look ill, just appears very fragile, something is amiss because first there was her being personally moved in by the County, with what looked to be new furniture provided by the County and now, a day or so ago I saw a woman in a County car bring her a cart full of groceries.

Compton and I continue to avoid each other, but that means there’s no chance of my getting a photo for you to marvel at ………… him???? that scrawny kid???? all he did was bring in a box, it wasn't like he gave you a kidney, what did he think that was worth in return???

So, anyway, I'll be celebrating the 4th with my usual daily activities of needlepoint, catching up on recorded TV shows, and I'll round the day off with a Carrot Dog, maybe two.

I did, over the weekend, give myself a patriotic mani/pedi.


I leave you with Little Edie’s (Grey Gardens) tribute to the day.


I never get tired of Little Edie's dance and the story/history of Grey Gardens.

17 comments:

  1. Miss Shirley, your nails never disappoint for the holidays!!!! I'm so glad your in out blogging community!!! And the social?!?! A whole donut?!?!? And for a whole hour and a half?!?!?! Could someone spare the time????? LOL!!!!!!!

    Meanwhile our weather here is pretty nice. Sunny, a breeze and in the mid 80's as I type this in the garden, with iced coffee. I feel at peace for the first time this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're living the life .... but then, you always are.

      Delete
  2. You have such beautiful hands. No surprise; you’re a beautiful woman. And I promise I’m not stalking. I find the story of Big and Little Edie so fascinating. We have the same problem with pool rules in our building. Most of the apartments are second/vacation homes. The building is mostly empty all year and then comes summer when all the out-of-towners arrive and invite all their friends and family to use our pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww thanks for the nice compliment. I don't know that the pool is safe with so many different bodies leaving their skin scales. A bit like people soup. One resident here, Homegirl, will only use the pool if she can get to it, be the first one in, after the pool cleaner comes.

      Delete
  3. Happy Fourth Of Nails!!! Gorgeous!
    I love me some Little Edie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edie had no idea how her flag dance would live on in history. Happy 4th *ੈ✩‧₊˚

      Delete
  4. Happy 4th Of July, like your Patriotic Mani.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 4th to you as well you little skinny dipper *ੈ✩‧₊˚

      Delete
  5. I love Little Edie's Flag Dance! Just perfect for the 4th of July, as is your patriotic manicure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that documentary. I should watch it again. Those 4th of July fingernails look just right for scratching any man who comes near you in your distressed shorts! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fascinating tale. I've seen the documentary a few times, read every book about it and yes, these distressed shorts, come with sharp nails, LOL. Happy 4th *ੈ✩‧₊˚

      Delete
  7. I also love Grey Gardens. The movie is great, and my favorite is the Maysles brother's documentary. I think I recommended the book on the 'Marble Fawn' to you once. Did you ever see their documentary called "Salesmen'? It's about door-to-door bible salesmen in the 1960's. Fascinating! Love the patriotic nail polish. Happy 4th. I'm having a difficult time celebrating with the Orange Anus looming in the background. The stuff of nightmares!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did take your suggestion, read Marble Fawn. Was my favorite of the books I've read about Big E, Little E and Jerry. I've one more to read. It's currently sitting in a pile of other books I need time to read ... My Life at Grey Gardens by Lois Wright.

      Delete
  8. Shirley, the brilliant way you do your nails is so professional that I really don't think you ever need go to a salon. You pay attention to detail. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly. That last salon, the one that did such a terrible job, should hire me.

      Delete
  9. Oh yes, I also read the book by Lois Wright. She went to live with the Beale's
    for a period of time. I can't imagine living in that mess, but she did. I guess it
    gave her something to write about. Have you seen the movie with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. They had it down. The house looked amazingly authentic, though I think they filmed it in Canada.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the documentary, probably saw Drew and Jessica's movie version, because I was obsessed with everything Grey Gardens, but don't remember doing so. Will have to look it up.

      Delete