Saturday, October 14, 2023

What Had Happened Was

Friday the 13th was a good day for me, because I got a hug from this fine-looking young brother and didn’t mind the hug not one bit.


What had happened was …… while playing bingo, I observed him running back and forth to the truck, loading his arms with packages, running all over the complex delivering, nonstop for well over an hour.

Observing how hard he was working, when we had a break, I took some of our goodies out to him — cookies, fresh hot popcorn, a soda and bottled water.

He was so thankful that he threw his arms around me and gave me a big old hug.

So, though I didn’t have a bingo win, I got the best prize.

I bet all the ladies are going to start running goodies out to good-looking delivery guys from now on.

Yesterday’s bingo was my first opportunity, in the last two weeks, to interact with any of the residents.

I’ve not been intentionally avoiding anyone. It’s just the way the last two weeks worked out, with the exception of Next-Door Neighbor — who btw, wasn’t the least bit unnerved by Mr. Warty Pumpkin (thanks Linda for that description). She said she took one look at it, thought to herself "There she goes again" and that was that.

I’ll have to try harder next year with a creepy clown faced pumpkin.

We had a full house in the Community Room, with lots of new people and a visitor or two.

Dream Lover was absent, as was Her Hautiness/Boebert, his latest paramour.

The group that showed was loud, raucous, out-of-control.

Painted Rock Lady hasn’t been feeling well enough to take on the role of Caller, so the job was split between Red Light and the Baker.

Red Light was visibly thrown off by the rowdiness, but never squeezed the hen of silence to quiet the room.

She’s great at talking behind people’s back, but is otherwise a coward, doesn't want to ruffle feathers.

When the Baker took her turn as Caller, she kept imploring the room to please quiet down so she could call numbers and hear winners call back their numbers.

The room ran ragged over her as, no less than a half a dozen times did the Baker pause the play, stand up and beg the room to quiet down …"Use your inside voices", only to be ignored.

Finally, I got up and took control of the hen, saying "You two don’t want to be perceived as mean. I don’t have a problem with it" and I began squeezing the hen directly in people’s faces until they shut the hell up.

Thinking back on it, I’ll not be taking charge of the hen again because, if Red Light and the Baker won’t stand up for themselves, take charge, take control, squeeze the hen at least, then f%^k them.

I just can't respect the way the two let people walk all over them — like the time the Black Witch was acting up. Red Light ran from her, the Baker tried to make herself invisible; and when the BW came for me and I told her "I don't respond to bullies. You picked the wrong one today", Red Light and the Baker kept shushing me, urging me to let the BW go unchallenged. In other words, be a woozy like them.

Much as I like the Baker, I gotta say I lost a lot of respect for her that day.

So, anyway, getting caught up on what intel I’ve missed, I learned management is continuing to take things away from us. This time it’s the Laundry Rooms.

The machines in the Laundry Room across the grassy knoll — the room I retreated to when the one in my building had a lizard in it, are inoperable; and because the equipment is down, management has locked up that Laundry Room.

Two machines in my building’s Laundry Room have been reported to management as out-of-order.

Management told those residents reporting, that it is the residents' responsibility to contact the service provider.

In addition, management said that, because they are having too many problems with the company they hired to service the Laundry Room equipment, they are looking at not only getting rid of that company, but getting rid of the laundry rooms altogether ………… because "it’s getting to be too expensive".

That news stunned me, but I won’t be all that surprised if management carries through with that plan to shut down Laundry Rooms completely, send us out into the wild to find coin-operated laundromats.

I also learned why it is that Activity Director’s calendar just indicates "HALLOWEEN" on Tuesday the 31st and there are no Halloween events ……… period.

There are five Tuesdays in this month of October. Activity Director is contracted to work no more than four Tuesdays per month, so she won’t be here on the 5th Tuesday …… the 31st.

According to what Activity Director told Red Light, she tried to switch one of her Tuesdays with the 31st, so she could be here, set something up for us, but the company she is hired through would not allow it.

I dunno, but it’s possible.

As far as any other management sponsored events ……… "The budget won’t allow for it. There is no money in the budget for events until Christmas" is what we're being told.

Strange, since management raised the rent in July. Not to mention, my recertification comes up next week — "Recertification" being management’s opportunity to get all up in my ass, dig into my personal financial business, to make certain I’m still poor enough to continue to lease a unit here.

I’ve already received the paperwork, which includes notice that, when I reup, my rent will increase an additional $110 …… and it's not just me. It's all of us not supported by the County.

Even Red Light, who is supported by the County, is worried. Saying that when management increases the County's share, the County then increases the residents' share, and that some on the County role here are already having difficulty making their share.

So where are all these increases going?

The money is not going into repairs, certainly not into events because management says there’s not enough money in the budget for events; we can’t use the refrigerator in the Community Room, and now there’s a possibility we’ll be doing without Laundry Rooms.

So I ask again …… where is the money collected from all these increases going?

There’s no one we can complain to — Corporate doesn’t care and I'm guessing management’s line is, "If you don’t like it, then move".

So, what we’re getting for these increases is the privilege to not live on the streets, have a roof over our heads, but no events, no refrigerator in the Community Room and possibly no Laundry Rooms in the future. Just a roof over our heads.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Speaking of the Community Room refrigerator — I’d previously blogged that, when the Inspectors were on the premise, management took down all those signs indicating we are not to use the refrigerator.

I kept forgetting to see if the locks were also removed.

Remembering to check yesterday, I walked into the kitchen and it looks like management removed the bottom key entry part.

Then

Now

Lazy as they are, having to lock and unlock probably got to be too much effort for them.

25 comments:

  1. You should contact the local media and call out managment and get them onboard to get answers to why all of that is happening to the people in your community housing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How my old buddy Apache was harassed and ultimately evicted was a lesson to all of us as to what would happen to us if we called out management. Thus, we tread carefully around management.

      Delete
  2. Management there should be ashamed of themselves. It all infuriates me and I’m sorry you have to experience it.

    On a good note: You made that young man’s day and he'll probably be talking about you forever. Kindness like that goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashamed of themselves, they are not. They just want to please Corporate at our expense, so they can keep their cushy jobs. As for my latest hugger .... I'll be thinking about him forever as well 😄.

      Delete
  3. That was nice of you to take the goodies out to the delivery guy, so the hug was well-earned, and well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed that hug, I did. He had good energy ... not like those other random huggers that I would have liked to knee in the groin.

      Delete
  4. Such a newsy post! I bet you made that young Amazon delivery guy's day! And I can just see you wielding the Hen of Silence like a BOSS! Hahahaha! And that's bad news about the laundry rooms, especially for older seniors with mobility or health issues which might make it difficult to schlep their laundry out to a laundromat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the older seniors have caregivers that do laundry for them. If things get bad and have an impact on those caregivers, maybe reporting back to their agencies, that they can't do their jobs, will get a reversal from management.

      Delete
  5. Taking away the laundry rooms is serious business. I don't see how they can get away with that since you all rented with laundry rooms privileges implied as part of what you're renting. Makes me appreciate that fact that where I live we have two retired lawyers who know when and how much to push the management to do the right thing.

    I'm fairly new reader here. Can you explain what 'squeeze the hen' means? Do you actually have rubber hen that makes noisy or are you using metaphor for something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually do have a rubber hen that makes an irritating noise, LOL. Removing the laundry rooms IS quite serious and may be the straw that tips the scale in our favor, as the lack thereof is something management can't hide when next there is an inspection by an outside agency.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Misadventures of Widowhood. If a lease was signed such that the rent included the use of laundry rooms that's a binding contract. Does one of your local news stations have someone who investigates issues? Maybe contact them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check the lease to see if the Laundry Room is binding or not. If it is and the rooms are taken away, I can use it as justification for requesting reduced rent.

      Delete
  7. Taking away the laundry?!?! So wrong.
    Those Amazon delivery drivers work hard. I'm sure your support was greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry that you do not have a better place to live although you make the best of the situation. My hat is off to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe there are worse senior complexes? It's an epidemic of taking advantage of seniors, but at least this place is clean and not the filth others are stuck with.

      Delete
  9. Tundra Bunny here...

    Sounds like there's never a dull moment in your building and you wield that "Hen of Silence" like a pro! It's a shame that too many women are still conditioned to equate assertiveness with aggression. Oh, and every time you mention the grassy knoll, I have to remind myself that you don't live beside the Dallas Book Depository, but in California, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of that as well when I use the phrase grassy knoll, and you're right about equating assertiveness with aggression. Those women probably see me as the typical angry Black woman, but I don't care, so long as they fear me enough to shut up.

      Delete
  10. I've loaded myself up with goodies and am waiting for the next Amazon truck to pass through. I'm ready, willing and kind of able.
    That's rotten about the laundry rooms. Yep, if you can anonymously contact a news agency and report the SOB's and get some action going...might help. I guess with past issues there, you gotta be careful and I certainly get that. Check your lease, too, and see if the laundry room is binding. Good luck and send that Amazon driver up to Ohio!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLMAO! Let me know if you snag a driver.

      Delete
    2. Ready, willing and KIND OF Able had me LMAOROTF John... Shirley snagged herself a Handsome one... winks.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you stood up to the inconsiderate raucous ones during the gathering, but, it's true, many people just won't. Sorry about the Rent increases and having to recertify, that's always a pain in the arse and iffy. The Daughter will have to prove she's sufficiently Disabled in order to continue to receive Nutritional Assistance, they're limiting it to 90 Days now, as if people don't need to eat after that. *Eye Roll* Of coarse if the ends up having to bring her Kiddos from Mexico here, then it will be different criteria with Three Dependents who are underage. We're still muddling thru that whole Crisis South of the Border and still don't know anything more about the SIL that was shot and abducted by Bad Actors in front of the Grandkids. We're trying to get the Kids to safety, so, it's been stressful dealing with an International incident so many miles away and with the complexities of it being a whole other Country. I'm hoping The Daughter is able to hold up... she's got a good support Network there, but, she's not Well enough to Deal with all of this really, so I do worry for them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as what's going on here with management and rowdy bingo players is aggravating, what your family is going through is a reminder to be grateful because there are far worse and more serious problems occurring elsewhere to others. "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet". A laundry room is a luxury, not all that important and, thankfully, I can handle the rent increase.

      Delete
  12. So now I know how to get hugs from the delivery drivers. lol
    They should not get rid of the laundry facilities, that's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about saving money for their raises and bonuses for corporate types.

      Delete