Monday, October 9, 2023

Happy Columbus/Indigenous Peoples' Day


Today’s Holiday wasn’t listed on this month’s Activity Calendar, so looks like the holiday fell by the wayside and management missed another opportunity to take the day off.

In fact, but for the fact the Catalyst posted a meme of actor Peter Falk in his role as the bumbling LAPD detective Columbo, with the caption "Happy Columbo Day", I’d have missed the day as well and another opportunity to set the record straight as to exactly who it was that discovered who.

Except for news of yet another war, today started off well for a Monday.

Driving out of the complex the long way around, to check on decorated patios, I felt a tad better about the apathy of other residents seeing at least one more patio display had gone up.


Upon returning from this morning’s workout, I walked over to take that above photo, which looks to have a Day of the Dead vibe, and came across one of our bingo usual suspects setting up a display that looks to be part Halloween part Thanksgiving.


Seeing me taking photos, she motioned for me to wait; whereupon she ran inside; returned a few seconds later wearing a witch's hat.


I’m thinking the hat is a dead giveaway as to what she’s planning on showing up as at the residents' Halloween Costume Party, Friday the 27th, which party is replacing that Friday's bingo game.

With not much else going on, it's looking like the Costume Party is going to be standing room only.

I'll have to decide if I want to skip that morning's workout, so I can arrive early, take photos as costumed residents walk through the door OR if I want to make a dramatic entrance by arriving late, take whatever photos I can then take.

I'm leaning towards the dramatic entrance.

As for the patio decorations ... with the two pumpkins on patios across the grassy knoll, my display and the above two, that’s 5 out of 178 units getting with the program.

It’s a start.

23 comments:

  1. I would ALWAYS lean toward the dramatic entrance, but I cannot wait to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Always", LOL. The room is likely to be full, so my character may have to wear a mask this time.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a late entrance...and dramatic, of course. You can really WOW them!
    Sounds like your decorating inspired others. Will the green lipstick come out? I loved that. Whatever...have fun and take pics!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about the green lipstick, but my character wears red.

      Delete
    2. Red is good...but, I hope the green can make at least a cameo at some point. I thought it was so cool.
      Paranormal John

      Delete
    3. Well, thank you for liking it as much as I did, but probably won't be seeing it again until St. Patty's Day.

      Delete
    4. St. Patty's works and gives me something to look forward to!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the Witch Lady and the other resident are getting into the spirit of the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she knows she gave her costume idea away, but I'm looking forward to what else she's got and how she's going to dress her husband.

      Delete
  4. The Neighbor donning her Witch's Hat was Cute for the Photo Op. I always was disturbed in School when they'd claim Columbus 'discovered' a Country where people had already lived for perhaps thousands of years. I hate the whitewashing of History and omission of the darkest parts of it in order to spare 'feelings' someone may have about it. Bad History is doomed to be repeated if we don't learn from and acknowledge it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is cute, likes to have fun and tickles me as she, like I, goes all out when costumes are involved.

      Delete
  5. Always good to hear someone's watching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your neighbor grabbing her hat. Any arrival you make is “an entrance.”

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dramatic entrance sounds good, but will you have a good seat waiting for you? Linda in Kansas, ya know, witches are from Kansas, right? Just ask the Wizard and Toto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No seating is likely to happen, so I'd better stake out my territory as soon as I return from working out, then go upstairs, get dressed. Seems Kansas is making a name for itself. You've got the story of Dot and Toto and now Taylor and Travis.

      Delete
  8. It's still early in the month, another 20 days before Halloween. You may have to dust your decorations before the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those procrastinators are missing the fun of enjoying the decorations all month long.

      Delete
    2. The neighbors across the street put out some elaborate decorations but they have all disappeared. Part of the spookiness or did someone steal them?

      Delete
    3. Oh No! That's really low if the items have been stolen.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I'll try to video tape the reactions I get as I waltz dramatically in.

      Delete