Saturday, October 28, 2023

Long Day’s Journey into Night

Yesterday was a long hard day, what with working out, rushing home to change into a costume, attend the costume party — where I took 147 photos, which I then edited and posted to the residents’ website.

By the time all was said and done, it was around midnight when I finally made it to bed, only to be tagged at 12:16 a.m. with an additional photo to add to the site.

Though not everyone appeared in costume, there were games, lots of food (that I couldn’t eat) and what costumes that did walk through the doors were awesome.

Like Shadow, who showed up as a Werewolf.



The Baker showed up as an ax murderer.


Homegirl as a Day of the Dead/Día de Muertos character.


Her sister, who doesn’t live here, joined us — dressed as Addams family matriarch Morticia, my character’s mom.


Walking through the doors she spotted me, said "I didn’t know my daughter Wednesday was going to be here".


I referred to her as "Mom" thereafter.

The bingo couple that doesn’t speak much English, whom we try to help maneuver through the game, also came as Día de Muertos characters.


As did R — the one who was besties with the Black Witch (who recently relieved us of her evil presence by moving out to live with her daughter in Palm Springs) and doesn’t like it when children attend the bingo sessions.


Buttons, our 86-year-old, that plays bingo with buttons, came as a Roman.


We had a Bride of Frankenstein.


And a pretty authentic looking Wicked Witch, seemingly straight out of the Wizard of Oz.


There was, of course, Wednesday Addams.


Other than that, there were an obligatory mask or two.

Believe it or not, as fabulous as my costume was — and it was fabulous, I did not even place in the costume contest.

I wasn’t disappointed that I did not win place or show. I was disappointed that so many did not even know who my character was.

Like WTF!

One of the most iconic characters in pop culture, then and now, and I got a few "Oh, that’s cute" — from those who though my costume was that of a little girl.

One senior asked, "Who are you?"

"Wednesday" said I.

She looked confused, said "No. It’s Friday". Correcting me that the day of the week was Friday, not Wednesday.

I kid you not.

Another senior said, "You look like that Black lady on the View … Woopie Goldberg".

OMG! Why do I even bother with my peer group?

Another episode of their living on a different plain of expression than I, or are we having an epidemic of early onset Alzheimer around here?

So, anyway, I enjoyed the opportunity to cosplay again, and will continue to do so when opportunities arise, whether anyone else "gets" me or not.

Costume categories were broken down into Most Creative, Scariest, Best Overall.

Winner: Most Creative

Winner: Scariest

Winner: Best Overall

Thing didn't behave at all. Thinking he was the equivalent of the Golden Bachelor, he was very flirtatious — crawling around asking "Will you accept this rose".





20 comments:

  1. Some pretty fabulous costumes -- I especially liked the werewolf, axe murderer and your mom Morticia Addams! Congrats to the winners. But you were robbed! You look fabulous and, of course, Thing must have been the hit of the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I captured video of the Werewolf howling at the moon in the photo booth background, but blogger won't let me upload video all of a sudden. I also had video of Thing moving with the rose. Again, blogger won't allow upload.

      Delete
    2. Wasn't blogger at all. Tried loading the vids from a different laptop and voila!

      Delete
  2. I will say you are an awfully smiley Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I broke character, totally forgot Wednesday doesn't smile or hug.

      Delete
  3. I would definitely given you first prize. Your costume was absolute perfection. “You look like that black lady on The View...”? Dear goddess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the costumes. The fact that people didn't know who you were is just crazy. I showed my daughter your picture and she knew right away who you were. She thought you had a great costume too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about half and half in that half knew right away who I was, found it hilarious. The other half were clueless, though some later, towards end of event, had an ephinay with "Oh! I know who you are .... from that family". LOL

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to you and your compatriots on having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope management is ashamed of itself that us residents had to do this for ourselves.

      Delete
  6. I voted for you and the Oz witch in the top two. You're probably dealing with a blend of folks that didn't watch Wednesday and/or early dementia. Makes it hard to determine which, especially when you were Wednesday on a Friday. The dude on the Golden Bachelor may need The Thing; he doesn't seem to know what the Fantasy Suites are really for! I'd like him better if he'd shave, but he sure likes the women telling him they adore him, but he certainly doesn't reciprocate. Is he a Trick or a Treat? Linda in Kansas, home of the original Oz witches, Toto, the Wizard and fluffy cows (bison.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless they've never owned a TV, it's pretty hard to miss Wednesday. Same look since the late 80s/early 90s, so maybe a sign of early D. I'll take your word on Golden Bachelor as I've never actually watched the show.

      Delete
  7. No, it's Friday. 🤦‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a taste of what I'm dealing with here, LOL. Thank God for the blog where I find people that can understand the words coming from my mouth.

      Delete
  8. What Fun... you had stiff competition there with great Costumes and good participation...Thanks for sharing the fun 😊... Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Wednesday as a costume. I thought the movie was different enough from the original series to make it enjoyable but not so different that it lost the feel of the Addams Family.

    ReplyDelete