Monday, October 2, 2023

Weekend Sprinkle

It sprinkled a bit during the drive to Long Beach on Saturday, rained a little overnight, but the sun was present on Sunday. Just in time for the outdoor "Sprinkle" (mini baby shower) at the Art Museum, with a view of the ocean, welcoming the soon-to-be great granddaughter.



Granddaughter scaled down to twelve — myself and White Grandma included. This being flu and cold season, three had to call off at the last minute, wisely stayed home, rather than infect those of us in attendance.

White Grandma made it, but arrived late after calling to say she was having trouble finding parking.

We were all seated by then and, when she called, I realized she’d be sitting in the only empty seat, which was next to me.

"I don’t want to sit next to White Grandma" pronounced I, and asked two of the ladies to move one seat over, so I could sit further away.

One of the two said, "I don’t want to sit next to her either", but she moved. The other said, "How could you do this to us", but she also moved.

White Grandma has a reputation — complains, criticizes, takes over and makes it about her.

So, anyway, when she arrived I didn’t go out of my way to greet her. She didn’t go out of her way to greet me but was well behaved and, towards the end of the Sprinkle, she was the bigger person — walked over to me, said "Nice to see you again". I said "You too", and that was that.

Brunch was off the menu, so I was able to find items I could eat, but had to pass on desert.

The quilt I made was well received and BTW, I don’t think I ever posted the finished quilt for you to see.



Label I Made for Back Corner



White Grandma is smiling at the quilt, but I dunno if I can trust that smile as showing how she really feels.

She herself started to crochet a quilt but, unable to complete it in time, gifted granddaughter items off the registry.

While in Long Beach, I got to spend time with the Great Grandson.

At 18 months, he's his own little person already and sees me so seldom that he doesn't really know me, but warmed up a little after I sang and danced along with him to his little shows, played with him in his toy room, showed approval when he showed off his skills.



Thinking about facing the Monday morning people going back to work traffic spurred me to check out of the hotel early, drive home Sunday evening rather than Monday morning.

Waking up this morning, learning the medical center would be striking later this week, I hurried over for a flu shot.

I did a dangerous thing by wearing my Inmate#P01135809 tee shirt.

Dangerous because, had the nurse giving me the shot been a supporter, that could have gone badly for me.

Since I was in the area, I did an even more dangerous thing to do while wearing that shirt — I popped into the craft store with the reputation of being GQP/racist/misogynistic/homophobic/anti-semitic/fill-in-the-discriminatory-blank for needlepoint floss, but got out without incident

On the way back to the complex, I saw a horrible accident caused by some yahoo running the red light well after the light had turned green for cross traffic.

I wanted to pull over, give my name as a witness; but the accident was on Route 66, where the intersections are chaotic, no place to pull over and the accident instantly caused even more chaos. Besides, there were a ton of other witnesses.

I'll have to check the dash cam to see if it captured the incident, just in case I see a notice in the newspaper asking witnesses to come forward.

All the way home I wondered how that yahoo now felt about being so important, in such a hurry that he blew through the red only to now not get to where he was so anxious to get, his car is wrecked, the other person's car is wrecked and possibly severely injured, as I very quickly heard sirens rushing to the scene.

30 comments:

  1. What an eventful time you've had! Your baby quilt is adorable. And so is your great-grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a baby sprinkle instead of a shower. Climate change causes a lot of things! That darling baby has your entire face! Glad you went. The kids will learn who's nice and who's grumpy when they get older. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I've heard of a Sprinkle as well. Evidently, it's a thing for the 2nd and subsequent children. First child gets a full shower. Go figure.

      Delete
  3. "I don't wanna sit next to White Gramma"... LMAOROTF. Funny Story, The Young Prince's Grandparents and Great-Grandparents were quite the League of Nations, so, when Young he used to refer to us as Brown Gramma {Bobby's Mom whose Hispanic}, White Gramma {me} , Black Grandpa {Bobby's Black Puerto Rican Grandpa}, Asian Gramma {Bobby's Mom's Stepmom who was from Thailand}, Indian Grandpa {my Dad}, Welsh Nanna {my Mom}. Which is why I found your description reminiscent of how our Family identified extended Family and didn't think anything of it. I always thought it hilarious if someone clutched their Pearls about it, since, nobody in our extended Family took offense... we are the Rainbow Tribe. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes calling 'em as you see 'em is the most efficient way to go. With your League of Nations, it was the ONLY way to go, LOL. Of course, White Grandma, having no sense of humor, would be appalled, think I'm being racist, if she knew that's how I refer to her.

      Delete
  4. So glad that red-light runner didn't hit YOU! It sounds like things went well at the ”sprinkle.” And oh that adorable great grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first "Sprinkle" and I think my last, as they're not planning on more than just the two.

      Delete
  5. LOL! Okay, I thought it was just a small, less-attended baby shower. I thought "in the olden days," that subsequent kids didn't even get a shower or sprinkle. Love your customized label on the quilt: totally cool. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always learning something new with these Millennials/Gen Z's.

      Delete
  6. I love your quilt! (Smiling white grandma, maybe not so much 🙄). Great grandson is a real cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Grandma's smile is making me think of that old song by the O'Jays .... Backstabbers. At any rate, I can't think of another occasion where the two of us will ever be in the same place at the same time again.

      Delete
  7. I, too love your quilt. That little fella is adorable! So sweet. A Sprinkle is new to me, but then I don't have any grandchildren. That idiot who went through the red light will never see it as there fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Grandbaby is totally spoiled. Will be interesting to see how he reacts when another baby comes into the family. As for that yahoo running the light, I hope he learned a lesson.

      Delete
  8. Sprinkle. Shower. I just got that! Very cleaver. Your quilt is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To your last experience . . there are way too many yahoos everywhere these days. Maybe we (the world) are over-populated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... over populated. Wouldn't surprise me if he's found to be drunk or high on something, even though it was 12:15 in the morning.

      Delete
  10. Can we talk about that sewing machine please? What brand is it. It looks vintage......white grandma.....lol.....you are too funny with all your nicknames for people. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s the Singer 160 Limited Edition. Looking for a machine to replace the one that died and could not be repaired, I was drawn to the vintage and sorta country/western look of this machine. I think that was 10/12 years ago, but the $350 price was prohibitive. A month or two later, I saw Costco was selling for $99, so I jumped on it. Why the difference in price, I do not know, other than the one I have is just basic stitches with a few decorative choices and maybe the more expensive one had fancier options. At any rate, basic was all I needed, all I do. I just wish I’d opted for the limited-edition cover that was available back then, but is impossible to get now. I had to make my own cover when the plastic one that came with the machine fell apart as there are no covers on the market that fit.

      Delete
    2. Well it is a beauty! I have been looking for a vintage machine since new ones of any quality are insanely expensive. A new Bernina is over $5000. Good lord. Why do I need a computer in a sewing machine? LOL. I will keep searching. Meanwhile hand stitching for now. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. The Singer I had before this one had a computer chip, and when the chip went dead, I couldn't find anyone to repair it. I'd not purchase a fancy computer chip machine again.

      Delete
  11. White GG looks scary. Your quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad there was no problems between the two of you. That quilt came out so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt is really sweet - love the label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ever since I learned how to print on fabric, I make my own labels rather than the old "made for you by" ones.

      Delete