Sunday, October 22, 2023

Hold My Beer

I seriously thought about being a no-show at this morning's 5k when, heading out to package pickup on Saturday, a Black cat came out of nowhere and crossed my path.

Having composed myself, pushed through and gotten out on the road, I was just a few miles from the complex when a tire ran over something that flew up and sounded like metal when it hit the ground.

I was anxious about continuing on after a second omen, but told myself, if there was tire damage, I could take care of it once I reached my destination.

Fortunately, whatever bad omens were plaguing me gave up at that point. Hotel check-in was fast, I got a great parking space at the hotel, and there were no hiccups at package pickup.

It was blue skies, perfect weather, good energy and a drone watching us at the Start Line this morning.




I’m over 45, so ...... safe

Mission Inn Museum come to life

Using trekking poles on the inclines, meant I had to pass on a lot of great photos during the race, but I did pause to capture the butterflies going and then coming back around when they pulled way ahead of me and then looped at the turnaround.



If anyone is looking for Waldo, I think I spotted her.



Official race photo, as I crossed the finish line, is supposedly to arrive via email later (we’ll see), but the organizers came through with results in record time.

The Overall shows I finished 49th out of 481 in the 5K — that’s male and female, all ages and 39th out of 348 women — that’s young and old.


Would have been nice had they broken us down further by age groups, so I could see how I did against my peers. But then again, maybe not, because those little old ladies had wings. They were flying, leaving me in the dust.

At any rate, inasmuch as my normal daily step count is between 3,000 and 5,000 and today’s count racked up to 10,926, I finished a little stiff and sore from pounding the pavement, but nothing that a little soak in Epsom salt didn't take care of.

One young lady was unconscious when dragged across the finish line by two big burley dudes.

Dragged instead of carried because, had she been conscious, she would have wanted it that way to get credit for having crossed the finish line.

The two guys whisked her away out of sight rather quickly and I later heard sirens, which I assume was fire department medical emergency.

I was surprised to not see a medical emergency team near the finish line, as is usually done, because that’s usually where the body give out and participants collapse.

The new organizers did a great job this time, but I guess they’d not taken into consideration someone might get hurt.

Hope she’s going to be okay, and I hope the two guys who were assisting her remembered to pause her watch.

That’s not a joke.

The first thing she’s going to do when she opens her eyes is check her watch/fitbit to see how she was doing before she collapsed.

That’s what runners do.


"Because that’s what’s important" said one in the group above, when I complemented them on their shirts.

Note to self: I need one of those shirts.

So anyway, though no photo of my crossing the finish line yet, I did get my medal to go along with a few extras I’d been given on package day.


The extras being Legacy Awards — a hat and pin for having participated in the race for the last three years.

I’ve participate for more than three consecutive years, but three is what the organizers are recognizing.

I don’t wear hats, but wanted the world to know I’m no rooky, so I attached it to my waist band (yellow item in Photo No. 2 above).

I was also entitled to go to the Beer Garden after the race, enjoy the after party, collect a free beer.

I don’t really like beer, but I would have done just to mingled with other participants, except I was anxious to get home to an Epsom bath.

Hold my beer for next time.

27 comments:

  1. What!!!!!! 49th out of 481 people aint nothing to sneeze at sweet cheeks!!!!!!! That is damn fine!!!!! And call me crazy...but the Black cat was GOOD LUCK! Black cats have always been a good omen and bring good luck in my book, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking the machine made a mistake, calculated times wrong, but I'll take it. As for the cat ... I trust you but not your Black cat theory.

      Delete
    2. Yes tis true!!!! I'm a dog person, but I've had one black cat in my life, and that cat brought me so much good luck more than anything else I've ever had. So now when I see a black cat it always makes me gleeful.

      Delete
    3. When I grew up in England black cats were always considered good luck and every cat we adopted was one! JanF

      Delete
    4. I am way too superstitious to go by your and Mistress's theory that Black cats are good luck. Since that cat is sneaking around near where I park, I'll be walking backwards when I near the car, so it doesn't cross my path again.

      Delete
  2. Brava! And chic as always. So glad to hear that the trekking poles worked out.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not have made it without the poles. Saw one other participant using them.

      Delete
  3. Good placing in the racing! Now you can officially organize one for all the tenets in your complex! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a walking group around here. It's been tried before but never took.

      Delete
  4. Can you pay an ER team to follow you around the course?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'll add it to my When I Win the Lottery list.

      Delete
  5. You placed really well in the stats! Plus you got some good photos despite the trekking poles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you #49!!!
    Love your running pants!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hate to hang them up in the closet, wait another year to wear. So I'll be wearing them to workouts until after Halloween.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great event. I love your leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. The organizers went over and above for us this year. Got quite a few compliments on the leggings from other racers on the course.

      Delete
  8. You did really well! Just think, next year, you are sure to be one of the top finishers in your age group and I hope you can request that they do some kind of age break down so it will show. I would not be surprised to see you as the winner! Hearty congratulations. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing so many pass me by, I was surprised at my results. Then I realized those passing were doing other races, some the 25 miles, some the 10 miles. Results were just for those of us doing 5 miles.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! Been waiting an entire year to wear them.

      Delete
  10. Congrats! Looks like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Impressive pace! I'm thinking you had to dominate your division. Love the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having difficulty accepting this computer-generated pace and finish time. I think there may have been a glitch in the matrix.

      Delete