Friday, September 1, 2023

Quiet as a Church Mouse

So I made it through the week without losing my religion. Even made it through bingo without screaming at everyone to wake the frack up and smell the coffee.

The secret of maintaining was to be quiet as a church mouse — say nothing, just listen, don’t try to point out the obvious. Just let the Usual Suspects continue in their inability to put the pieces together.

One of the pieces to the puzzle is that Assistant Manager’s husband is back home from the hospital.

I’ve seen him and whatever it was that he had has taken a toll.

Another piece is that his wife, Assistant Manager, though never hospitalized, is still also not feeling well. She looks it and says so.

I’m told she’s not been working in the office, but did put in some time at Tuesday’s Carnival.

She’s now saying her husband had pneumonia.

Interesting, because she told me that the doctors didn’t know what she and her husband were suffering from, and I would think pneumonia would be something the doctors could readily diagnose. Also, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), pneumonia is not a communicable disease. He could not have passed it on to her, made her also ill.

What is she hiding?

What is management telling her to keep on the down low?

If something is going around, would it not be incumbent upon them to notify us residents for reasons or safety?

More pieces of the puzzle are that Complex Manager is out sick and has been since the day after Carnival. Head Maintenance guy is also out sick and has been since the day after Carnival.

Assistant Maintenance Guy is back from his honeymoon with a shiny new ring on his finger and he is wearing a mask .... a sure sign he knows something and wants no part of it.

I too am wearing a mask, and I was the only one in bingo to do so.

No one had better not ask me to sign a get well soon card for any member of management.

I’ve lost track, but as best I recall, our current manager is No. 10, maybe 11, and she is running the place with an iron fist, just like that mean Nurse Ratched manager we suffered through.

Community Room Refrigerator Door

Not only had this Nurse Ratched wannabe taken the Community Room refrigerator away from us but, to add insult to injury, she put a lock on it.


Not just one padlock, but TWO, just in case we ever thought of utilizing the freezer section, even though they don't keep their precious lunches, or anything else there.


I absolutely will not be signing any get-well cards, which some well-meaning member of the Usual Suspects will be stupid enough to pass around; and I won't be attending management's frigging Christmas Party.

Sorry, not sorry they’re not feeling well.

Whatever is in the air must have had an impact on one of our regulars, Di. She came to bingo, began writing a check for the rent, looked up and asked, "What year is this?"

It's a good thing I was being quiet as a church mouse, because bad Shirley was telling me to say "1999". Fortunately, someone spoke up, said "2023", before bad Shirley could take over.

21 comments:

  1. You're very wise to be cautious and masking up! There is a new Covid variant circulating that could become a new wave, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), and Legionnaires' disease (an atypical pneumonia) that has caused outbreaks/deaths via ventilation/AC systems in the past. There is a new Covid booster and RSV vaccine that should be available in the U.S. and Canada very soon (if not already). If it turns out to be Legionnaires', that's a lawsuit waiting to happen if your complex's management has neglected to properly clean/maintain ventilation/AC systems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting about atypical pneumonia. It will be another two weeks before I mask up and venture around anyone here, but I'll be keeping tabs on puzzle pieces, waiting to see if and when anyone who can do something about it wakes up and pays attention, OR the residents themselves wake up, see what I see and take appropriate measures to protect themselves.

      Delete
  2. I'm masking up to when we got out to stores and such. Even if it's just not getting a cold again, much less COVID or the flu or something, it's safer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The newest covid variant is making the rounds. Sounds like that's what spread around in management. The new variant doesn't care if your vaxxed in the past or had it; it's got 30 mutations on it!
    Pneumonia is some fluid inside your lungs, which includes a variety of germs that can cause it. Please get your RSV and annual flu shot. The newest covid shot should also be out this month. You need as many defenses as possible around your management and tenets. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always take my flu shot. Have to think about RSV because I'm still having skin issues from that last covid shot, which everyone keeps telling me wasn't caused by the vaccination but a problem I never had before getting vaccinated.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. 😄 and the thing is, she would have totally accepted and written 1999.

      Delete
  5. Our management sends out an email and puts a notice on all the public doors when we have Covid in the building. They don't ID the person under quarantine but we figure it out quickly. They also provide free test kits and food delivery. I guess I should thank our management for doing that. I didn't realize it wasn't common practice where seniors live. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the pandemic, we did get notified if someone in the building had contracted the virus. I think they only did so because they had to. They also did not violate the person's privacy by saying who. As for free test kits and food deliveries, hahahaha, not in a million years. Whatever is going around is thus far only impacting management (except for when we began gagging/choking last week) and, for some odd reason, has management being so secretive about what it is and why they initiated the pepper spray theory to further keep us in the dark for something they may be liable for. If it spreads beyond the office and residents become sick, they may have to disclose.

      Delete
  6. Not a medical person (much to my mother's dismay), but to my understanding there are both bacterial and viral pneumonias. There are therefore different clinical therapies. There may be antibiotics for the bacterial, but if it's viral, you're SOL (note the use of the highly technical medical term). There is also a pneumonia vaccine for part of the spectrum (not annual - I think that the last one I had is supposed to last about 10 years or so). I'm a Nervous Nellie about this stuff because I was laid up for about 8 weeks with pneumonia when I was in college (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) and I don't ever want to go through that again. I was fortunate to have parents who were able to help care for me, but it's just me now.

    Keep on masking, distancing, and hand washing. It's the right thing to do.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had pneumonia once, from running around late evenings partying, scantily dressed instead of dressing warm for the cold night air. That's why I aways take the flu shot now and am careful to dress for the weather. Maybe it was because I was young that I recovered so quickly, but even when I was ill, I don't recall looking as weak or as bad as Assistant Manager and her husband do now. Not only am I masking, distancing, I'm carrying sanitizing wipes and was careful to use them after and while touching things at bingo.

      Delete
    2. Correction. I misremembered. It was bronchitis that I had.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure, but I think pneumonia is often a secondary infection following something else. So AM's husband could've had pneumonia, and the "something else" is still a mystery.
    Two padlocks on the fridge?? Oh brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beginning to feel like a prison around here. First, they took away the Community Room's Wi-Fi and television, then the coffee machine, now we can't have ice cream socials because the refrigerator has two padlocks. Not much left to take from us, unless it's our health by giving us whatever sickness it is they've got.

      Delete
  8. I wouldn't be signing anything for management either. The locks on the fridge is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the locks are cheaper than hiring an armed guard to make sure we don't use the refrigerator and/or take one of their precious lunches.

      Delete
  9. Pneumonia usually comes from some other illness that causes the person to become too sick to shake off the pneumonia. Legionaires disease has been misdiagnosed as pneumonia. I'm thinking you should be staying out of that building until no one is getting sick and all those corporate people are back to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, it's just management. Probably because they spend so much time in those offices. I'm rarely in the Community Room long enough to worry, so long as I mask up. Residents seem fine as well. Probably because they too don't spend much time there ... anymore, since they took away the Wi-Fi, TV, coffee.

      Delete
  10. I would be the one to send the fridge photo to Corporate. That really irritates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe you me, I wanted to but know it will make me a target. Couldn't think of how to do it anonymously. They are just petty enough to view video, for however long it takes, to find out who took the photo.

      Delete