Friday, September 8, 2023

You See … What Had Happened Was

You can’t believe how happy I am for this week to come to an end. Way too much has been going on.

Actually, thinking back, too much has been going on for some time … period. I’ve consistently had something to blog about, haven’t had an "I’ve got nothing" post since November of 2022.

I really need things to slow down, be less interesting for a while.

Icing on the cake for the end of this week is that today is a no-bingo Friday. I can take a little break, lock myself away from the world until Monday, and if Red Light doesn’t hold a seance underneath my window, have nothing interesting to post for a while.

Looking at the jeep’s instrument panel, on my way to this morning’s workout, checking the psi show, I’m fairly convinced I’m being paranoid about losing pressure in the passenger side rear tire.

I’m a little traumatized by Tuesday's blowout, not expecting the paranoia to go away anytime soon, so I’ll continue to check in on that psi show.

Arriving for my 12:15 appointment at the tire place yesterday, being told the process would take about 45 minutes, I thought to spend the time getting a mani/pedi at the salon I spied two buildings down.

Sticking my head inside the salon door, I saw a young lady working on a customer. "May I help you?", said she.

"Do you take walk-ins?"

"Yes. Have a seat at the chair on the end".

I settle down in the chair, take my toe rings off, so they won’t get washed away in the warm soapy foot spa water — as they have in the past, and put them away for safe keeping.

After a minute or two or three went by, I could hear a noise coming from the back room. It sounded like I’d arrived while the manicurist was eating her lunch, so I patiently waited another few minutes.

You see, what happened was … When the curtain to the back room finally opened, out came this old grandfatherly looking guy — and yes, I said old, because in his case it fit, while the shoe did not fit when tossed towards me.

When I saw him go to fill the manicure bowl, realized he was the manicurist, my eyes got wide, my spirit whispered "No", so I got up, began walking towards the exit door.

Behind me, I could hear grandpa manicurist say something. I didn’t make out what he said, but replied "No" just the same and fled the salon, no explanation.

I’m not proud of how I reacted — panicking, running out, and I’m sorry if I hurt grandpa’s feelings, but my reaction seemed the necessary thing to do at the time as I could not fanthom the idea of grandpa rubbing my feet, my arms, legs, touching me …… period.

In retrospect, grandpa was probably the owner, down a few manicurists, a skilled manicurist himself, and probably not as old as he looked, younger than I even, but still …………

At any rate, even if I see tons of manicurists working in the salon, next time in the area, I can’t show my face there again.

Trainer tells me he had the same thing happen to him, back when he was working as a physical therapist — only HE was the one to walk out.

When he entered the treatment room, the client took one look at him, said "NO!", so he immediately turned around, walked out, went to the front desk, explained what had just happened, and a physical therapists to the client’s liking was arranged for.

Trainer said he didn’t take it personal so, hopefully, grandpa isn’t too hurt by my running from him.

28 comments:

  1. No red light does hold a seance under your window you may not want to come out for a while. LOL Could you imagine? I've never gone to any of those nail salon places to get a mani pedi because I don't like strangers touching me so I can completely understand why you walked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great pedicurist for the last ten years, but had to leave her in August of last year because the new owners kept screwing up my appointments. She could do pedicures but was terrible at manicures, so I'd had a list of manicurists I trusted. They all left the salon, so I tried other girls and they worked out fine. But then the owners kept forgetting to schedule a manicurist, so I got fed up, yelped them a bad review and never returned. Since then, I've not found a salon I liked, felt comfortable with and have been doing my own. This salon I just tried looked promising, that is until grandpa showed up.

      Delete
  2. I really don't like regular women manicurists doing my toes. I can't imagine how I would have reacted in your place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer women, and only women. But even with them I'm careful in where I go for service. I ask for referrals, check their work online, location, etc. I've read too many stories about getting infections after nail work. Thus, the caution in where I go, who does the work.

      Delete
  3. I wish I’d done that when I went for last pedi. The man was “older” and wore glasses and I hoped he could see well enough. He cut too close around one nail and it hurt but didn’t bleed. He didn’t smooth out the polish very well so it pooled up and looked weird. Then last week the polish just popped off one nail because it was on too think. I should have gone with my gut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live and learn, but maybe not run away like I did. Exit gracefully, LOL.

      Delete
  4. You have to trust your intuition/instincts in such things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brave to have manicures/pedicures. I am so particular about who touches my body. Even getting a new hairdresser is not easy for me, and I hang on to my hairdresser for decades! I truly believe that we can be affected by the touch of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that as well. Not only touch, but the mere presence of some others can have an impact.

      Delete
  6. Ok. So, how old or young was the dude who worked on your tires? Is the tire okay? Yep, I keep looking at the tire psi gauge all the time. Beats wondering and getting out and looking. Stay safe. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tire place has a team of healthy attractive looking young men working there. I was happy to see they don't discriminate because I saw a young lesbian girl working the machines, popping tires off/on, just like the guys. I was hoping she'd get my order, but she was working on these HUGE monster truck tires so one of the guys, don't know which, but it's a professional organization. A place I've trusted for my tires for years.

      Delete
  7. I think you should trust your immediate reaction and your intuition. I'd be very particular about who I'd let diddle my fingers and toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far, I've checked on referrals to other salons, checked a few online and have not found any place I'd let diddle my fingers and toes again, for various reasons. Sometimes because the salon looks dark, gloomy, sometimes because their online pain jobs look no better than what I do for myself.

      Delete
  8. I think grandpa's hands would have been soft and velvety and that would be a win; not for me, I mean, NO ONE touches my feet but me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa with soft and velvety hands sounds really creepy. At the rate it's going, looks like no one will be touching my feet as well.

      Delete
  9. I'd guess that people are pretty particular about whom they are comfortable to have work on their feet. Go with your gut.
    Enjoy your Red Light break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt Red Light can resist holding court on the walkway for an entire weekend, but we shall see.

      Delete
  10. Always right to trust your instinct. There are good reasons that you are made to have those instincts. If you felt like an actress, you could have looked down at your phone as if receiving an urgent text message and exclaimed "Oh no! Gotta go NOW!"(script could be better, but there is a writer's strike). We'll be watching the Oscars next year for your performance.

    As I tell the analysts with whom I work, if you've tried to understand it and it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't and we need to ask more questions and prepare to go another way.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish I'd have thought of that. You can bet I'll think before I run and use this if I think about looking into another salon and it doesn't work out, but don't let Will Smith anywhere near my Oscar performance.

      Delete
  11. PS In the old days I used to get at least dinner and a movie before I'd let anyone mess with my toes 😁

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had hands or feet done. No reason to start now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Live a little. Treat yourself to a spa treatment. You'll thank me later.

      Delete
  13. I had to laugh at your experience. I was just reading this morning about Ayurvedic Cleansing that includes having oil massaged over the entire body and I was just wondering how that is done. Later oil is dripped onto the client's forehead. And the food didn't sound so great either! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds slippery. Closest I've come to something like that was when I used to go to the Hot Springs, practically every weekend because the cost was so minimal back in the day. In addition to the hot water pools, there were pools filled with either mud or oil. I once did try the oil bath, but I preferred to get muddy. They did not feed us.

      Delete
  14. Being an Insulin dependent Diabetic I can no longer go get Pedis at a Salon, since it could be a high risk for me, I miss having them. I'm taking Collagen daily and my Nails and Hair are growing like Weeds tho', so my own Nails now look like fake ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good side hustle would be for some medical personnel types to provide mani/pedis for diabetics.

      Delete