Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Air and a Spare

Red Light has been bugging me for over a week to attend a speaker presentation she arranged for the Community Room — something about caregiver service and free offerings for seniors.

I never said I would attend, even though she’s persisted by next giving me a flyer promoting the session and then, while working out in the Pain Cave yesterday, a text message reminder about today’s event, 10AM.

It’s not that I’m all that worried about the atmosphere in the Community Room … I saw Head Maintenance Guy heading out with his family yesterday and he didn’t look ill to me.

While Assistant Manager and her husband are walking slow, heavy, skin yellowish, looking jaundiced, HMG looks hale and hearty. So I’m less worried about the Community Room and just don’t want to be part of Red Light’s latest venture.

Waking up this morning, my plan was to dip, make myself scarce. Heading out at 10AM is early for me, but I managed to complete my morning ritual and was out by 9:45.

Less than a block from the complex I heard a big BANG then a THUD, thought an object had hit the rear left side of the car and was being dragged.

Pulling over into the market parking lot, I checked, saw nothing wrong, drove around in the parking lot for a bit, heard nothing, so assuming the sound was something in the trunk tipping over, I continued on.

On the freeway, about five miles from the complex, I heard THUD CLANK THUD CLANK THUD CLANK and figured I’d better head for the Jeep Dealership, five or six miles further, because it might be something under the car having come loose.

I never made it.

The thudding and clanking got very loud, steering wheel felt funny, cars honked to let me know there was a problem, so I pulled off at the exit, parked by the side of the road and ………

Driver Side Rear Tire

Locking myself in the car, I tried calling my insurer’s roadside assistance.

That didn’t work. Their mobile system app wouldn’t accept my password.

After several tries, I attempted to change my password.

That didn’t work either.

I googled telephone numbers to contact a human voice for my insurer's roadside assistance.

That led to "cannot complete your call" and a random "let me tell you how to save money on your medical". So, after 30 minutes or so of frustration, I called the dealership, asked for a referral for roadside assistance in the area, made contact with a service, ETA 20 minutes.

While I was waiting, a Black guy hauling a flatbed drove by, stopped in traffic, backed up and said, "There’s a tire place just around that corner. If you pull up there, they can change that tire for you".

"Oh thanks, but I’m waiting for roadside assistance".

"Cancel ‘em. It will save you money. Just drive around that corner. Tire place is just on the left-hand side".

I really didn't think I could drive any further without damaging the rim, so I said "If roadside doesn't show soon, I’ll think about that. Thanks for the information".

"No problem. When I passed you, saw it was an old Black lady, I thought to back up, let you know".

WTF!!!!! SOAB!!!!!

Did he have to add "old"?

I don't see myself as old. I see myself as "a senior", but not old or elderly.

At any rate, roadside assistance showed up.


Then I was off to the tire shop to purchase a new spare — not the tire shop in that area, but the one I usually frequent for air checks.

Telling the kid on the air station that I needed an air check and to purchase a new spare, he asked what happened.

"It just blew up", said I.

He said the Jeep is a 2017, "tires are good for 5/6 years, so you probably need new tires or all will eventually blow".

I don’t drive enough to cause that kind of wear — only 164,000 16,412 thus far, so I didn’t buy it.

Tire guy inside the office said all my tires looked "brand new", so something had to have lodged in the tire, eventually caused the tire to blow.

I didn’t want to wait 2-1/2 to 3 hours for them to put on a new tire, return the spare back to the trunk (they were swamped and backed up), so I’ve a service appointment scheduled for my next free day, Thursday.

All in all, there are two ways I can look at this day.

Inasmuch as the BANG THUD began so close to the complex, perhaps it was a sign to stay put, go to Red Light’s thing.

On the other hand, the BANG THUD might have been something that was brewing and would eventually catch up with me anyway. At least it happened in an area where I was relatively safe, on a day I had the wherewithall to deal with it.

So, who knows the what/why of it, but all toll it was a good day and worth the expense.

Roadside Assistance: $105

New Tire: $183.77

Escaping Red Light’s function: Priceless.

Returning to the complex, I saw Head Maintenance Guy. He's back to work and wearing a mask.

I haven't seen the other office personnel, but I'm assuming they're all back, all wearing masks now.

28 comments:

  1. Everything happens for a reason, so it was no coincidence your car issues happened today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nasty looking tire, but glad you're okay and didn't hurt that guy for using the 'o' word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...and for everything else, there's Mastercard."

    Glad you are safe.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'd forgotten that's where the priceless came from.

      Delete
  4. That is one sad-looking tire. Good you weren't on the freeway and going at a high speed when it happened. Nice guy until he said “old.” WTF would be my reaction, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually was on the freeway by the time the tire failed, but fortunately in the slow lane and yes, the "o" word wasn't cool.

      Delete
  5. "Escaping Red Light’s function: Priceless." LOLOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I like your "Air and a Spare" pun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Looks like you're the only one to have gotten the heir and a spare pun. Good going.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you are lucky that tire blowing didn't cause you a nasty accident! Sorry your good sanitarian called you 'old'. It's a small price to pay to know there are people willing to help in situations like that. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was a small price but it's a good thing I've a healthy sense of self or his good intentions would have gotten him cursed out. LOL.

      Delete
  8. "old" black lady, seriously?! Plus, I think you were right not to drive with the tire in that state. I'm betting it would've damaged the rim.
    What an ordeal, but then...
    "Escaping Red Light’s function: Priceless." HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only assume my good samaritan has poor eyesight. I wish Red Light would get the message and stop inviting me to stuff.

      Delete
  9. You had to pay for roadside service? You don't have AAA? We had to have the Subaru towed twice, once to the dealer and then from dealer to our own mechanic, and there was no charge for either. I've had to call a couple of times for flat tires, and again, the AAA truck came, changed out the tires and I headed to the tire store, no charge and great service. I have all-wheel drive, which means if I replace one tire, I replace all four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have roadside assistance through the company that provides my auto insurance BUT getting through to them when I need assistance has thus far not worked out. I've ended up paying cash for a tow a few months ago when the battery died, and now for a tire change. $105 is not a lot of money, but on principle, I may ask for reimbursement this time.

      Delete
  10. We bought a Nissan Altima new in December of 2012. Nearly 11 years later and the mileage is finally nearing 50,000. Needless to say we don't travel much in our senior years. But we continue to renew our AAA coverage every year for just the type of incident you suffered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a booboo typing 164,000. My milage is only in the neighborhood of 16,000.

      Delete
  11. I just went back to your original post while discussing this situation with my husband, and I think you must have mistyped your milage on your jeep--164,000 seems to be a lot for you. I don't even have that many miles on my 18 year old Subaru.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that Tire looked knackered and perhaps had some rot from the Heat, nothing Rubber lasts as long in Hot climates. Glad when it blew you were safe. What the Trucker said was rather insensitive and offensive, but I doubt he meant it to be. I never SEE myself as Elderly, but, I suppose I am. *ha ha ha*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just another clueless male that means well but ends up fluffing it up.

      Delete
  13. AAA is only $54 a year. Much cheaper than acquiring a husband, depending on one, or needing help when friends aren't available. It also has lots of discounts on tons of stuff. I get 10% off anything I buy at NAPA auto parts stores. I had to get all new tires when they started cracking and crazing on the sidewalls because of the heat and temperature extremes from being kept outside. I always buy Michelins and was surprised this kind of wear could happen. Saved me from a big boo boo blowout. Glad you're safe from the adventure. Pretty sure the Red Light didn't jamb up your tires. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pay too much in auto insurance, with roadside assistance included, to add the cost of AAA to the mix. Besides, I had a bad experience with AAA years ago when, stuck by the side of the road needing a tow, two good old boys from AAA were sent, saw me a Young Black Lady back then, refused the tow, left me by the side of the road. I promised myself never to use AAA again and will never. No idea why my insurer's roadside didn't work that day, but it's working now.

      Delete