Sunday, June 4, 2023

Ooey Gooey

Another weekend nearly gone and gone in a flash, most of the time eaten up in trying to resolve technical issues.

It took me all of Friday evening to set up the new printer, most of Saturday and Sunday trying to get the Smart App to recognize the new printer.

Evidently the app isn’t all that Smart because, though I did finally get it to print, I can’t get it to scan or copy.

I may have to call in the geek squad for a home visit.

In between technical issue, I did find time to make a run-down Route 66 to pick up fabric for what I hope is the last baby quilt, in this family, I will ever have to make, cause we don’t need to bring in any more people into this family or into this crazy world.


Walking out of the craft store, fabric in hand, I heard music and realized that, because it was Saturday, the Farmer’s Market was in progress, within walking distance.

Checking the event out, it was the same old same old — all kinds of cakes, cookies, drinks, scrumptious looking foods I can’t eat that I’d seen last time I visited, which I think was April of last year.

One new addition was a vendor offering free grow kits.

What a great idea, thought I, but I’ve got my hands full with the plants growing on the patio, don’t need any more, but it was fun watching the little kids learning all about plants, getting to dig in the dirt, plant seeds in a little pot.


I was wondering how the vendor made any money on this venture as, even if she wasn’t looking to make money, just educate the public, she still had to pay for the spot, but I didn’t take the time to ask or figure it out.

Today, Sunday, started off with giving scanning and copying one more try. After giving up on that happening without technical assistance, I gave up and finally got around to shampooing the carpet.

Hours later, deciding that, after the technical frustrations and the hard heavy-duty work of moving furniture around to shampoo the carpet, inasmuch as all the ingredients had arrived, I treated myself to my first ever S’more.

Ooey Gooey, a little messy, but delicious

First time I've ever used the broiler in all the years I've been living here.

While relaxing on the couch, drinking coffee, enjoying the two little S'mores, I saw someone off in the distance, quickly walking away down one of the walkways. As the person turned a corner, I got a good look at his profile, left side, and would swear it was my old buddy Apache.

Where could he have been coming from? Where could he have been walking to?

I'll have to ask around to see if it really was he I saw, rushing from and to, before management found out he was on the property.

18 comments:

  1. Too bad that Apache is banned from visiting, I'm sure he still has Friends there that would enjoy his presence and a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of us tried to get him to stop screwing around with management, but he enjoyed pissing them off too much. In the end, it cost him. I do miss having him around. He was my main source of gossip, blog fodder.

      Delete
  2. It still blows my mind that you'd never had a s'more before. Are there more in your future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And this makes me 2 for 2 at age 79. First time I've experienced snow and first time I've had a S'More.

      Delete
  3. As soon as I saw your post title, I knew you'd made your s'mores! S'mores were never part of my childhood experience because I am too old. They didn't show up on the campfire scene until I was well into adulthood. I've only had one once and yes, I believe ooey gooey is the whole point of them. They taste okay, but frankly I'd rather just have a plain toasted marshmallow. Can't eat those now either, though, because they're WAY too much sugar for the diabeetus, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember as a kid we'd toast marshmallows over the stove's open flame. Because we were poor, we didn't have toaster forks. We unwound and stretched out wire coat hangers. Probably ingested all kinds of toxics but survived. You might want to look into Max Mallow marshmallows. They are diabetic friendly.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of S'mores being prepared in the broiler. Genius. I used to think I could only have them at a cookout. Then friends made them over a candle, but the broiler sounds so efficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasting over a Buddha candle sounds like fun but exceedingly slow and even more difficult than over a campfire. Broiler was efficient and fast.

      Delete
    2. Roasting over the candle WAS slow and not as effective. But it was still good. Over the campfire, you first roast the marshmallow on the stick. Then when the marshmallow's all gooey, you sandwich between the chocolate and graham crackers and then pull the skewer out. Very efficient!

      Delete
    3. Oooooh, interesting, but I think the broiler is better because the chocolate gets melty as the marshmallow gets toasted, whereas if you just put the gooey marshmallow on top of the chocolate, doesn't seem the chocolate will get warm or melty.

      Delete
  5. Now I want a S'more!! But somehow I don't think the ones I could make inside wouldn't live up to the ones from my childhood that were made around a campfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasting a cookie, with chocolate and marshmallows inside over a campfire sounds like a difficult thing to accomplish.

      Delete
  6. I am not a fan of the S'more as I am no fan of anything used in making them.
    Carlos and I bought a new printer, a "Smart" printer, last year and it took us forever to get it set up. Clearly the printer was smarter than the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is so Smart these days ... Smart TV ... Smart Printers but then one has to bring in a tech genius to set them up rather than their setting their own Smart selves up. I long for the good old days of Basic.

      Delete
  7. Is Apache banned for LIFE? It's too bad. How is he getting along wherever he lives now, do you know?
    I have never eaten a s'more ( raised in England and not a camp fire type person) but don't fancy it now as they sound too sweet. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for life. If management caught him on the property, they'd probably call the cops.

      Delete
  8. Technology just irritates me at times. Years ago I bought a new printer and got it to print once. Just once and it would never print again. I got so mad I took it outside and threw it on the ground, shattering it. LOL Made me feel better until I had to pick it all up and put it in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe this is my second new printer in a month. The first was an Epson. Hated it. Too late to return as I'd tossed the box. Asked Best Buy if I could donate it to their young tech program. They said they preferred money donations, so I tossed the Epson in the trash. I then purchased an HP, same as my computer, and it should work with no problems. But noooooo. Took me forever to set up and now can't scan or copy. Not going to toss it though. I'll pay extra for a home visit.

      Delete