Sunday, June 11, 2023

Fool Me Once

I woke up to rain. This on the last day of the Upland’s Lemon Festival.

When I first moved to the Inland Empire area, which would have been in 2003. I lived in Upland. So, of course, I went to the Lemon Festival, which was in it’s infancy — only a few years in at that time.

What a disappointment.

Downtown Upland is small, cramped, which made parking hard to find. Insofar as entertainment, there was one stage where I recall a young kid doing a credible Michael Jackson performance.

I could eat what I wanted back then, so was looking forward to all kinds of lemon concoctions to try.

There were none.

In fact, after seeing the lemon pie booth had pies with Ralph’s Market stickers on the box, I left and haven’t attended since.

Of course now, going by what I saw on the news Friday, the Lemon Festival is huge, so I was tempted on Saturday to drive over, see what it’s now all about.

Just the fact that the event was so heavily pubicized on the news could mean it’s a really fun place to go OR they needed the exposure on the news to get folks to come.

Not willing to chance it — under the theory of Fool Me Once, especially since parking would still be bad and I now can’t eat lemon concoctions … if they had any this time around, I decided to stay home, do laundry, work on craft projects.

Giving Red Light the benefit of the doubt — taking into consideration she might not know how to capture photos direct from the website, I yesterday sent her the following message.


I think I worded it to where she could reply a simple yes, I got them or no, how do I do that.

She replied neither. In fact, she did not reply at all.

Alrighty then.

Case closed.

I can only conclude she’s fuming (yes, I’m smiling) and only wanted one thing, that was for ME to obey.

Well, like my mother used to say to us kids when we expressed a want, "People in hell want ice water, but they don’t get it".

She’s probably not as pissed at the fact I did not comply as she is that I had the audacity to question the why/what — why she needed the photos, what she did with them.

Flame on girlie, flame on.

I’m going to make a prediction … After Red Light calms her arse down she’ll probably feel too embarrassed or that she’s put herself in a position where she’ll be reluctant to ask me to make flyers for her July 4 event. She’ll ask someone else to ask me because, based on what I’ve observed in other instances where she’s overstepped or lost a friend, that’s how she rolls. She backs up and hides behind someone else ... asks them to ask so and so such and such.

Manipulative much?

22 comments:

  1. Our city has an international fair every year. Our first year, we thought it would be so much fun to go the Norwegian cottage and enjoy traditional Norwegian treats. They had hot dogs! (And not even good ones.) At least we walked and didn't have to stop for any Red Light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could have at least thrown something on the hot dogs that would make them Norwegian, LOL.

      Delete
  2. People in hell want ice water, but they don't get it. LOL I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see where I get my less than warm sensitive side from.

      Delete
  3. Upland! Decades ago, in another life, I shipped cattle feed to Upland. I worked for a cottonseed company which took the lint and hull off of the seed, extracted the oil from the kernel, and ground up what was left into a meal fed to dairy cattle. Upland had a big dairy business back then. Hopper cars of the hulls and the meal was shipped there from Fresno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six Degrees from dkzody, because this building, and up the street for three miles, used to be an old horse farm. No doubt your cattle feed made it to the horses.

      Delete
    2. I remember it was a BIG market for the stuff. Cottonseed oil in the products provided shiny coats for the horses!

      Delete
  4. A lemon festival with no lemon treats? What do they have? Junk cars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back then it was just vendors selling nothing interesting and businesses offering their services for home repairs. Oh ... and lemon pies from the market, Maybe I'll go next year to see how things have improved.

      Delete
  5. Red Light needs to Stop. See what I did there? 🛑

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed at your mom's saying: "People in hell want ice water, but they don’t get it".When I was a kid, the usual comment was "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the wishes were horses one, but not coming from my mom's mouth. She always went in for the kill, whatever would cause the most emotional damage.

      Delete
  7. Upland is the home of Dr Pimple Popper, Sandra Lee! I am a fan!
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is. I looked it up but couldn't find address for where her office is located. Would be fun, if I can find the address, to roll by and take a photo of her office for you since you're a fan.

      Delete
    2. P.S Found it. She's on the Historic Route 66 and it looks like I drove right by her office when I posted about driving the corridor last week.

      Delete
  8. About the only lemon things I like to partake of are homemade lemonade and lemon Italian ice. Most other things I can't take....far to sweet for me if they are in desserts. I detest lemon bars. How people eat those is beyond me. Here on Thursday is Jubilee Day, the oldest one day street fair in the country, right here in this fair hamlet. I will go, scope out the stands and get some yummy smoked pulled pork sandwiches and wash that down with a funnel cake, then book it to the car and home to eat it. I haven't had either in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Jubilee Day" sounds like an old plantation celebration. I'll have to look it up, find out why they call it Jubilee.

      Delete
  9. From your header title I thought you were going to talk about not voting for #45 again, but then I'm sure you didn't vote for the idiot the first time. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently, some are okay with being fooled numerous times because they still want to vote for him. Still want him to further ruin the country.

      Delete
  10. Your Mom and my Mom used the same saying about Hell and Ice Water, how funny, since, Mom was from Wales so I guess that's a common European saying as well as on this side of the Pond. I think I even have said it to my Kids and/or Grandkids. *LOL* Red Light fuming, I knew you'd be Smiling even tho' you did Reach Out in case she really was struggling with the Photo Thing Online... which was Kind of you even tho' she didn't opt to be responsive to a potential Olive Branch extended. So, glad the Case is Closed. As for the Lemon Festival, we have some Festivals here that have gone downhill and I don't bother with anymore, or they just don't even bother to promote and so nobody knows about them in order to boost attendance and interest. I like a good Festival and miss some of them they used to Host that were worthy of going to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Efficient person that I am, I always said yes or no because the phrase is a lot of words to use, LOL. The Lemon Festival started so low that it only had up to go which, by what I saw on the news, it had with rides and several stages. Maybe I'll give it a second chance next year.

      Delete