Friday, June 17, 2022

Super Sleuth

It was not two hours after I’d posted back to the drawing board, as the Seth letter had failed to bear fruit, that the phone rang and up popped the name "W. Joling" which I knew had to be someone related to Seth.

It was Seth’s mom.

I could not get to the post office fast enough to ship the album and photos off to her in Idaho, stopping along the way to fill up the tank with gas at $6.15 per gallon.

YIKES!

Seth's mom offered to reimburse me for shipping.

I suggested she pay it forward.

Turns out Bonita was her dad’s longtime girlfriend some 20 years ago. Dad was no longer on this side of the veil, she somehow had heard of Bonita’s passing, and was sad to learn Bonita passed from cancer and had died alone.

Seth’s mom recognized some of the people in photos I’d attached to the letter but not all. She also did not recognize the name "Taylor" as in "Our Girl Taylor" printed on the outside of the album.

She thinks the ones she did not recognize may be relatives of Bonita.

Inasmuch as she, like I, is very involved in Creative Memories, appreciates the sentimental value of old family photos, she’s going to look through what I’ve sent, remove what is pertinent to her family and since she's obviously in contact with someone related to Bonita to have heard of her passing, will be able to pass on the other photos.

I can imagine her having fun seeing photos of her boys and her dad that she did not even know existed.

So, my hours of internet sleuthing have paid off.

I AM a Super Sleuth.


One thing this experience has taught me is the importance of labelling albums. Had it not been for Bonita filling out the binder section of her album with the names of the two Joling boys, it would have been near to impossible to track anyone down.

I've been doing Creative Memories since 1993, when mom passed away and the twins saved mom's photos from the trash pile my sister would have surely relegated them to.

I had just learned of Creative Memories and seeing the deplorable condition mom's photos were in took it upon myself to give CM a go.

Witness the transformation.

From this

And this

And this

And this

To this


None of the 18 albums I currently have are labeled, nor are the 4 above in Twin 2's possession, or the 50 or so in Twin 1's possession.

I've got to get busy and create a label to insert in each.

31 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful thing for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with the results of your search. Excellent work!! You must feel good they are going to someone who is interested and cares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel good about it. Grateful that Seth took my letter seriously, turned it over to his mom.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. One for the good side on the book of my life, the akashic record : - )

      Delete
  4. I have called Washington and asked that you be hired to look into Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Traitor Greene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is marvelous news! I am very proud of you and so, so glad that Seth's Mum contacted you. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, Shirley. And, I hope this lady does pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sounded like a nice lady, so I'm sure she will.

      Delete
  7. You are now the Sherlock Holmes of Old Photos! Congrats on making the connection and passing on the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! Take a look at Congressman Gosart while you're at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOORAY! Nice detective work. "Long-time girlfriend" sometimes gets lost heading into the next world. The Creative Memories thing is interesting. Is it a project or a website? I have 13 boxes, the largest being a military trunk of family photos. That doesn't include the 6 plastic tubs of my kid and I. When can you come to K.C.? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! You'd need an army of creative memory consultants to organize that much. CM is a scrapbooking system, consisting of a specific binder, pages and clear cover for pages. I may make a post showing one of my books to show more clearly what CM is and how artistically photos can be preserved. Maybe it will inspire you to organize and get started on all those photos.

      Delete
    2. Open for any info. You're hired, too! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
  10. Oh, nice work! What a sweet turn of events. Bonita is smiling at you and clapping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of Bonita smiling/clapping gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

      Delete
  11. Great outcome! I had to gasp and clutch my pearls at the $6.15 per gallon that you paid for gas. I'll just stop complaining about the $4.69 per gallon that I had to pay now. I doubt we'll ever see the return of .99 cent for gas again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you're paying now is around what we've been charged on the regular and, believe it or not, $6.15 is less than the surrounding cities.

      Delete
  12. That is so awesome that you were able to find the person and get the stuff back to them.

    ReplyDelete