Friday, June 10, 2022

Karen Riles Again

Wearing my lucky (Made in 1944) shirt to bingo this afternoon brought me luck. I won the third game and selected a sunglass case from the prize table.

I went on to win game six, where I selected a hummingbird feeder so I can lure them to the patio and watch hummingbirds from my perch on the couch.


So other players won’t get their panties in a bunch, the rule is — one can only win twice so, when I later won again on Game 7 — twice, I didn’t call out bingo.

As to how I one twice on Game 7, it was synchronicity — I was working three cards and two cards hit bingo at the same time.

So in total, I’d actually won four times, and kept that knowledge to myself so I wouldn’t get jumped by a bunch of old ladies.

There were no fresh baked pastries for the folks this time around. Instead, it was popcorn and sodas, because the Baker was unavailable — she’d taken a fall.

Her second.

One fall was outside on the property — the ambulance came and took her away.

This fall happened inside her unit — her daughter drove her to the ER.

There have been some near misses, as her balance isn’t good.

I witnessed such a near miss earlier this week when she and I were chitchatting outside and all of a sudden she began losing her balance, grabbed onto a tree to stabilize herself.

She was able to stabilize but being as how the drought has not only killed the grass, it’s killing the trees, just her gently touching the side of the tree caused a whole chunk of the tree to just crumble.


The area circled in purple is where the Baker rested her hand. The piece in red is what fell off. The tree feels like one good shove and it would turn to dust.

Some of our trees are marked with X’s. I assume because they’re dead and need to be removed. The one the Baker leaned on isn’t marked for removal but, from the looks of its condition, should be.

At any rate, I’d taken a little veggie salad (carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers) to nibble on during the break but, when I saw they had something I could eat — popcorn, I saved the salad for dinner.

I had an opportunity at bingo to ask Talker what she was doing around 1:30 on Monday that so irritated her Karen neighbor that Karen came outside and stared up at the Talker’s unit.

Of course she couldn’t remember that far back, but did say she was sweeping her patio one day during the week when Karen came out and began complaining about the Talker’s bed waking her up at 3:30 a.m.

Talker said she responded with "Oh no. It wasn’t my bed, because I got rid of it last time you complained about the bed. I’m sleeping on just the mattress now, and I’m not giving up the mattress, sleeping on the floor. Take it up with the office".

I said, "Wait a minute, hold on. There is no way you gave up your bed and are now sleeping on a mattress because she complained your bed made noise."

Unbelievable and ridiculous as this sounds, it’s what Trainer said she did.

Upon hearing this, one woman at my table echoed my shock and said she’d seen the bedframe at the dumpster, had wondered whose it was, why it was there, and later saw Head Maintenance Guy break it up so the pieces could fit inside the dumpster.

So, Karen is on the warpath again, but I doubt she’ll complain to management because she’s kinda on probation from when corporate got involved last time.

I remain fascinated by G’s button jar.

Getting a closer look, I see there’s a lot of kitty cats and even a little milk jar and kitty food bowl.



I had my first hummingbird visitor just a few minutes ago, while typing up this post. He moved too fast for me to get over to the window, catch a photo ... or he saw me coming and skadoodled.

I hope I did the sugar water correctly (1 part sugar  ... organic pure cane sugar is what I have in my cupboard and 4 parts water). Don't want to get it wrong and make the hummingbirds ill.

20 comments:

  1. How cool that you're already getting hummingbirds feeding at your "bingo win" -- I could sit and watch hummingbirds for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like the word is getting out, three visitors so far.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I can't believe that afy gave U her bed - that's utter madness ☹️ Enjoy the hummingbirds. They are so delicate and lovely to watch. (Wouldn't mind a few of those buttons myself!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that giving up her bed just the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard, and you saying the buttons are delicate just reminded me ... helping clean up after bingo, I found one of the buttons on the floor, kept and said I'd give to G next week. Only NOW I can't find it. DRAT!

      Delete
  3. Karen is ridiculous and just being a Karen, she's probably making up her complaints, the other Resident shouldn't have gotten rid of her Bed to be compliant to a ridiculous complaint. Of coarse she could have had some fun and said that Karen should quit listening to her having Sex, it's rude. *winks* Those Kitty Buttons are adorable. I'm worried about the Baker's ability to continue living Independently if she's that unstable on her feet. How sad the drought is killing off so much, it's doing the same here, they're even worried about the Ancient Cacti succumbing, arms are falling off many Old Saguaro, which is what they do to attempt to conserve resources. Our Hummingbird Baby already flew off, they grow up in 2 weeks! I only got Two pixs of the little fella/gal, I may harvest that Nest after next Year, they only use the same Nest a couple times and the Mama is near her expiration date, Bless her, she must be close to the 4-5 years they only live now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving up her bed to appease Karen makes Talker just as ridiculous as Karen is. Not only is the Baker having problems being stable on her own feet, she cares for her husband who is in far worse shape than she. Her doctor had warned her off getting involved in activities two years ago, but she continues to bake and help out with bingo. So, i don't know. She's far too popular here, vested in the community to ever leave, move in with relatives but, at some point, probably after her husband passes, family might make her move in with them. Family does check in on them almost daily. It's a very close family. So, she's got that and neighbors who care.

      Delete
    2. So glad to hear the Baker has a tight Network checking in on her and the Hubby she's Caregiver of, that's a tight spot to be in tho'.

      Delete
  4. We have a couple of feeders in the yard and love when they attract visitors.
    That Karen is something else. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the Talker for Karen's continuous harassment because the Talker won't stand up for herself and keeps trying to be nice with Karen.

      Delete
  5. The Karen is really something. I learned a long time ago that you have to not let people walk all over you though. There's no way I would put up with that. Maybe that's why people leave me alone around here. lol

    Congrats on the wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right. So long as she keeps trying to appease and be nice to Karen, it's going to be one thing after another.

      Delete
  6. I have a friend I was speaking with the other day who told me he'd had two falls recently. One he was near his car and was able to use it to pull himself up. The other was when he was in a park with his dog and had to wave down a park worker to help him up. I asked him if he had a cane. He said he did but he doesn't use it because he doesn't need it. !!!!! He's about to be 86.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, you're not yelling "bingo" on your subsequent wins so you're not attacked by older ladies. You might need to take that mace to bingo games. I think those cute buttons are sold at larger fabric stores, maybe Hobby Lobby types. Yep, you've got the hummingbird recipe correct. If you sit closely, real still, you might be able to get them on video cell phone photography; remember to use the tele lens. My patient had 5 feeders set up by me, as his whole world was at his window. When the feeder water gets cloudy or any spots of mold, clean the feeder, just with hot water, a tiny bit of soap and some kind of brush to detach the moldy spots. You can buy feeder cleaner brushes at a good hardware store. Don't clean with vinegar or bleach. Some attract ants, and most ways to deter them don't work.
    They do fight amongst themselves, looking like they're dive-bombing with swords, but they rarely injure each other. I've seen them perch in one spot and chase off incoming hummingbirds. Have fun! The sunrise shone through the hummingbirds and made this huge enlarged shadow on the opposite wall fluttering and busy. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have the taser on me because the world is insane. Anything can happen at any time. Would hate to have to light up any of the old ladies, but they do get angry when they don't win and someone else continuously does. There have been shouting matches, thus the only two win rule. It gets so hot on my patio that the sugar water would boil. So I only set it out in the afternoon, when the sun is on the opposite side.

      Delete
  8. I just today put out our hummingbird feeder. But heavens knows why. I have never seen them use it. They go after the butterfly bushes and the salvia. Man are they little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A feeder is lost amongst all that lovely flora and fauna surrounding you at the homestead. Little and lighting fast they are.

      Delete
  9. There once was a couple who lived over me who had a squeaky bed. They were youngish and really got the springs to springing. I saw them sitting outside one day and I went up to the woman and told her I could hear their every move. She turned beet red but said thank you for telling me. Of course, at that age, they didn't let a little thing like my sleep stop them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perverts were probably getting a kick out of knowing you could hear them.

      Delete