Thursday, June 16, 2022

Back to the Drawing Board

The week isn’t over but, thus far, it’s been quiet and uneventful here at the complex.

It did give me a moment’s pause when, returning from yesterday’s workout, I saw two mattresses piled up outside the dumpster.

My initial thought was "Oh no! The Talker gave in to Karen’s noise complaint and got rid of her mattresses".

That notion was quickly dispelled when, as I pulled into my parking spot, Talker pulled in and parked in her spot right next to me.

She began laughing when I asked if the mattresses were hers and said they’d come from Bonita’s unit, that management was still clearing out Bonita’s unit — Bonita being the resident who passed away from cancer whose photos and albums I’ve thus far been unsuccessful in locating a family member to turn over to.

The maintenance guys have their work cut out for them, what with seven vacancies (3 deaths 4 moveouts) to be readied for new tenants while also replacing air filters and smoke detector batteries in all 178 units.

God forbid corporate pay for an outside crew to come in do the work, get the units ready when there are so many looking for affordable housing.

After saying the mattresses were not hers, the Talker went on to say she reported Karen’s latest complaint to Assistant Manager — the complaint about hearing the bed make noise at 3:00 in the morning when, thanks to an earlier complaint, there was no bed, just a mattress.

Assistant Manager said some corporate bigwigs would be here next week and has requested Talker supply her with a writeup on that incident, one on the time the police showed up as a result of Karen calling in a noise complaint AND one on Karen accosting Talker’s disabled brother at the gate.

So, we’ll see what the corporate visit is about and if it results in the end of Karen and/or a few other problem tenants.

As stated above, I’m not having much success in getting anyone to respond to my messages about someone to take possession of Bonita’s album and photos.

On the back of one photo was the name of a young girl (age 6 in 1968, Deadwood, South Dakota).

I managed to track down the person’s place of business, left an email, but no response.

I later called the place of business — a university. The office no longer had her working there so who knows if she’s even still alive.

Then there were these names detailed on the inside of Bonita’s album.


After sending messages to the facebook page of both boys, no response, and being pretty sure I'd tracked down the correct persons, seeing a mailing address for Seth, I sent a letter but have yet to receive a response.

I know Seth or someone received the letter, as it has not been returned to me, so I don’t know what’s up with that.

All in all, it looks like it’s back to the drawing board as to where to go, what to do next. Post to TicTok maybe? Let the super sleuths take over?

9 comments:

  1. Well, you're certainly going above and beyond trying to find some living relatives of Bonita's to take those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shirley,
    Just wanted to make a suggestion for another source - try the local Genealogy Society in Deadwood, and perhaps the other cities that you have any record of. They will often know about local list, directories and such, and often love solving a mystery.
    Kudos to you for trying to save those memories!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. I did try a genealogy site but, of course, they wanted me to spend money, sign up to use. But the good news is ... there's been a development that will be discussed in my next post. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Well I admire your efforts. Seth and Gabriel would be in their early 20s, so who knows if they even check their fbook these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't. Looks like they abandoned Facebook when they were about 14 years old, but there's been a development to be announced in my next post.

      Delete
  4. So thrilled that there is some kind of development. You worked hard on this project and I am super interested you getting response!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well goodness! Don't worry about mattresses and get that post ready! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure have been doing everything you can regarding those photos. I hope you’re soon surprised by a positive response.

    ReplyDelete