Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Suspicious Smell

The week started off with a gas leak.

Well, actually, it didn’t just start this week. For over a month, I was smelling gas in the unit when I used the oven and handled it by opening up the patio window, so I’d not gas myself.

And yes, I know it was an issue that should have been immediately addressed so as not to blow up the building, but I had a lot going on during that period, what with all that dental bruhaha, plus other things on my mind, and just didn’t care about the ramifications of smelling gas.

Then, on Monday, while driving out of the complex, headed to the Pain Cave, I began thinking now was a good time for the guys to go in, so I parked out front by the office, went in and reported the leak to Assistant Manager — telling her I’d be back in 45 minutes, but the maintenance guys had permission to enter the unit during my absence.

She got on the walkie-talkie right away telling the guys to check it out.

It must have been an easy fix because, upon my return, I saw no evidence the guys had come in and moved anything, there was no maintenance receipt indicating work had been done, but there also is no longer the smell of gas when the oven is in use. So, I guess they fixed it.

As I was leaving the Assistant Manager’s office, she called after me and asked who in my building had children on the property over the weekend.

"Oh, that was _____ (Ms. Neighbor, downstairs, unit underneath Next-Door Neighbor) grandkids", said I. "Why do you ask?"

"There were complaints".

"You’re kidding. Who complained?"

"Many people".

"Why? They’re good kids. They were just riding their scooters on the walkway around the grassy areas".

"Scooters are not allowed on the property, and children cannot be outside on the property unless they’re accompanied by an adult".

I expressed how sad that was that instead of enjoying watching the kids having fun, as I did, others were disturbed enough to complain and asked that Assistant Manager make clear to Ms. Neighbor that it wasn’t any of us in this building doing the complaining.

If Ms. Neighbor can find something she can afford, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the last straw and she moves.

First it was Illusive Unfriendly (downstairs, underneath my unit) complaining about Ms. Neighbor’s son.

The son had been a frequent visitor and would stand outside, foot of the stairs, talking on his phone long before Illusive Unfriendly moved in. But, when she saw him hanging around outside, she called the office and accused him of stalking her.

I haven’t seen him visit since, and now it’s the grandkids who can’t be outside.

Other than my ignoring a gas leak, neighbors complaining about kids playing, a neighbor’s imaginings of being stalked (this is the same neighbor that imagined I was continuously waking her up 3:30 a.m. bouncing a ball) and with our Karen character behaving herself, there’s not a lot going on around here last few days.

16 comments:

  1. I hate when the week starts off with a gas leak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo glad your week has been relatively boring. Gas leaks should be reported right away, if not to the manager, to the fire department. So, you didn't add an exciting story of an explosion to your blog. Gas leaks and those people running around with oxygen don't mix so well either.
    In a small-house neighborhood many years ago, my neighbor smelled gas and called me over (should have done so outside, since electric cell phones can spark and "burn the gas." I smelled it and told her for all to go outside. The Fire Department guys came with their handy dandy meter and said "yep" there's too much gas in here. Turns out the discharge flue of her basement hot water tank was blocked on top of the tank. How? With roofing debris that went down it when she got a new roof put on the day before.
    Your overprotective blog buddy (me,) suggests you confirm a repair was done, or cause some commotion and ask the Fire Dept. to come check out the possibly lingering leak. Cheers, keep breathing, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to catch one of the maintenance guys, get details on how they managed the repair without moving the stove.

      Delete
  3. Well, I'm glad you didn't blow sky high with that gas leak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would really have been a waste after all that effort I put into cleaning the kitchen tile and shampooing the carpet :-)

      Delete
  4. If you call the gas company they will be out immediately no matter the time, day or night or weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, but having seen the hot guys calendar the Fire Department puts out, I'm liking Drum Major's idea of calling Firemen over Gas Company personnel :-)))

      Delete
  5. Well, sorry about your grumpy neighbors. But I'm happy your gas leak didn't make the news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must be some of the new people because no one else has ever complained in the 5/6 years she's lived here and the kids have been running around playing.

      Delete
  6. Glad you got that fixed, it could be fatal to have a Gas Leak. And yes, bad leaks usually have a 24 Hour Hotline to call, when we had that main City Water Main erupt in our Front Yard, those guys were out in a heartbeat and it was the wee Hours. I know you wanted the Hot Guy Brigade to show up tho', don't know the Gas Company hires as many Stud Muffins as the Fire Dept?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fixed. I don't smell gas, but I'm interested in finding out from the guys how they fixed it without moving the stove.

      Delete
  7. Yo! By the way, leaking gas smells like rotten eggs. They add that odor to it (mercaptain?) so we know when it's leaking. I envy you if you have a gas oven and stove. I miss mine. You have a good nose; around all of that bingo and teeth drilling, it's still connected to your beautiful brain. Cheers, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing they did add the odor. Otherwise, I'd not have known to open the patio sliding glass door to let fresh air in. I'd have gas chamber myself.

      Delete
  8. My last complex was senior and I have to say that seeing the children didn't bother me at all. This complex is just regular singles and families. Because I walk Buddy so much, many of the children come over to say Hi to Buddy when I am out. It is nice. There are only a few teenagers but Buddy is determined to make friends with them and they are kind of shocked since they try to appear invisible to adults. Of course, I'm getting so deaf that a rock 'n roll band could live next door and I probably wouldn't hear them. Having said that, I do worry that the affordable housing apartments I will be moving to may be noisy but since I already know the manager I'll just ask her for the best location between old folks. Children has been locked up long enough during Covid without being complained about by unneighborly neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We so seldom get to see kids here that I thoroughly enjoy seeing them running around playing. Some of these old folks have sticks stuck up their butts.

      Delete