Sunday, May 22, 2022

Dropout

The weekend meditation retreat turned into an overnighter. I dropped out and am now back in my comfortable quiet little unit while class is still in session — doesn’t end until noon today.

Having developed (through years of study and working with enlightened teachers) the tools to handle whatever life throws at me without losing my shiz, I didn’t really need a retreat, but I’d nevertheless been looking forward to experiencing the rise meditating with a group of like-minded souls usually brings.

Then, just two weeks before I was to leave for the retreat, all hell broke loose in the area I’d be staying.

If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time, you know I believe in signs.

First sign was the Coastal Fire that took with it homes in the upscale neighborhood of Laguna Hills; and when I say upscale, I mean waaaay upscale … mansions … price range $10 million and more.

It gave me pause that the fire was raging out of control only 9 miles away from where I'd be staying, and I watched over the days as it went from 15% to 25% to 70% contained whereupon I decided not to cancel the trip because it would be 100% by the time I headed out that way.

Then came the mass shooting at a church only 5 miles away from where I’d be staying.

I didn’t feel as though I’d be driving into danger, but I did speak to the universe to give me a clear yes or no if these were signs I wasn't to go since whatever was going on appeared to be getting closer to where I would be.

Then, just days before I was to leave, my credit card got hacked …. again.

The sums were minimal — $18 at Overstock, $13 at some Motor Club and my spidey sense told me it’s one of the girls at the new dental office making the charges.

She just didn’t expect I’d notice and be on it so fast, but no matter. I cancelled the card, will pay cash at this dental office in future, and had a new card issued, Fed Ex’d to me in time to not interfere with my plans and again spoke to the universe. Only this time, I asked the universe to do something specific, like flatten a tire, as a clear sign I was not to go to the meditation retreat.

Believe it or not, the morning I was to leave, the car alerted that the rear tire — that previously had a leak, was losing air again. So, on the way out of town I stopped at the tire place to double check. The tire guy said the car was giving me a wrong reading, the tire was fine so, instead of turning around and going back home, I kept going — drove to Laguna.

The weather was cold and dreary when I arrived and walking into the hotel room was like walking into a refrigerator.

Maintenance showed up, MacGyvered the A/C equipment to where it would put out heat but only with the fan running.

So much for a 5-Star hotel.

The hotel was fully booked, there wasn't a room I could switch to, so I had to tough it out.

First meditation session that evening at 7:45 was a raucous affair.

It was a much smaller group than I’m accustomed to ─ around 30 souls and they were a chatty group of elderly students so happy at seeing other students and old friends that they couldn’t contain themselves.

Some came from local cities ─ some flew in. One said he came from Florida, one from San Francisco.

I’m trying to meditate and it’s yakety yak as others asked where I was from. One guy introduced himself as Claire.

Seriously.

He said he wasn’t the only guy in his family named Claire. It was some sort of tradition to carry the name down through generations ─ though he said his grandfather flatly refused to call him Claire. His grandad called him Carl.

Fascinating, but I wasn't there for a meet and greet.

Protocol is when one enters the room, one is to be quiet, begin meditating, set the atmosphere for when the teacher arrives.

Most didn’t stop yakking until the teacher walked in. The mood had not been set, I was thrown off center from the yakety yak and, consequently, wasn’t getting anywhere once the teacher began meditating to lift us. I was stuck taxiing on the runway, when I should have been taking off.

Back in the room after that session, I had to contend with the droning of the fan and woke up Saturday with the beginnings of a sore throat from the heat level not being where I needed it to be.

At least the microwave worked, so I was able to feed myself before heading to the 10am session, where it was once again yakety yakety yak when there should have been silence.

The woman who’d arranged for the retreat asked everyone to please quiet down, meditate, set the mood as the teacher was to arrive in 15 minutes.

Most, not all, complied.

In addition to the unruly elderly students inside the room, there were also some unruly children running up and down the hallway.

As I closed my eyes and tried to block everyone out, center myself, I heard one of the kids in the hallway say, "Is someone dead?".

Evidently, he’d peeked in through the open door, saw what he interpreted as having to do with a funeral.

Opening my eyes, looking at the stage where the teacher was to sit, I noticed it kinda did look like a coffin, draped in a black cloth, old people sitting around.

With what the kid said and that image in my mind as the session began, my getting anywhere was again a lost cause. "Is someone dead" suddenly became funny to the point where I had to stiffle an out loud laugh and kept thinking I’ve got to get a photo of what the kid saw to post on the blog (which I did sneak back later, when few were around, and snapped a photo).


While my mind was wandering as a result of what the kid said, I remembered when I was sitting on the steps of a pool and it was so peaceful, so quiet that I began to meditate.

All of a sudden I’m snapped back to earth by the sound of a kid calling out to me "Excuse me Ma’am! Ma’am! Ma’am!".

"Yes?" I replied.

"Oh. Just checking. You weren’t moving so I thought you were dead".

When that incident came to mind, I had to once again stifle an inappropriate laugh out loud. Instead, I started smiling, grinning like the Cheshire Cat at the memory. If any of the students happened to be watching me at the time, they probably thought I’d reached the level of supreme joy in meditation, when in actuality my mind was actually a million miles away from the space we were in.

So, anyway, I survived Saturday morning’s session, which ended at noon and inasmuch as it was still cold and dreary outside, it was back to the hotel room — throat still sore and beginning to sniffle where I put in some reading time — finally finished the book I’d started on last year, and took a nap.

I did attend the 3:45 afternoon session, got a few takeaways to ponder, but never left the ground, spiritually speaking. So, heading back to the hotel room knowing there was no point to hanging around for this morning’s session and that if I spent another night in that room’s fan I was going to get very sick, I packed my bags, checked out and was back in my comfortable little unit where, after immediately gargling with warm water and vinegar to heal my throat, I was comfortably on the couch in time to see Midsomer Murders on the BBC channel.

17 comments:

  1. HA! Is she dead? Time to get a shirt that says "NO, I'm NOT dead."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have keeled over, played dead, watch the kid run.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's too bad! Very disappointing, I'm sure. Sounds like you made the right decision to come home.

    And that kid was right. The room DID look like a funeral was being held, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! A more colorful cloth might have made the table look less like a coffin.

      Delete
  3. Well, at least you tried. Not your fault that it wasn't what you had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I not gone I probably would have felt I missed something good. So at least now I know I didn't.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the pic, I have to agree with the kid!
    Sounds like your retreat didn't live up to it's billing, and you made the right decision to drop out.
    Your pool story reminds me of a time I was swimming with one of my young kids. I was trying to slowly sneak up on him - alligator style - from underwater and ended up tripping the "someone's drowning" alarm. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry the Retreat was a bust, but that Kid's comment, spot on, I would have thought the same, judging by your Photo Share. I don't know why, but in my Mind's Eye I thought a Meditation Retreat Space would look Zen, with Yoga Mats and Bamboo Plants or something, but I guess if all the Guests are Seniors, nobody would be able to get up off the Floor after Meditating? *LOL* A rowdy chatty group would be annoying when I'd be there to Meditate, I'd have to pretend to start just to keep anyone from engaging with me. And WHY would anyone want to carry on the Tradition of naming their Boys Claire... one has to Wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Zen with Yoga Mats and Bamboo Plants" ... LOL! We're not that kind of contemplative. There actually were a few middle-aged souls in the group, but it did surprise me that it was mostly us OG's this time.

      Delete
    2. There's an old country song about A Boy Named Sue that tells the tale of why his dad named him Sue. Being named "Claire" must have been confusing growing up, showing up a male when a female was expected, but he seemed rather proud of the name. I thought it was cute and told him so.

      Delete
  6. I'd ask for my money back from the retreat promoters. Must be a different branch of meditation. Bummer that the hotel room was so cold. Your photo looks like a small funeral service, especially with the flowers on top of the "coffin."
    May not have been the dental group that hacked your card. On a pre-covid trip, I sat at an airport restaurant during a layover, and sorted through my 3 checkbooks, updating the math. Each account has a debit card. Later, my son had looked at my accounts online and alerted me that purchases had been made at stores I never go to, while I was on vacation! He explained that hackers are able to just walk near your card and lift the data off of it. So, it might have been the Subway I stopped at the night before, but most likely hackers walking around the airport with their devices to lift info. The bank took off the $300+ charges, but said it was too small of a loss to try and track and chase the crooks. Since then, I bought some of those RFID protectors for each debit and credit card. They stay in the protectors in my billfold or checkbook until I pay for something. I got a set for cards and passports from www.boxiki.com Boxiki travel via Amazon.
    As charge nurse, I had to place a new admission into the hospital named Clyde. Oops, wrong kinda room assignment, cuz Clyde was a GIRL; sweetest little tiny old lady. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wise to scammers walking by and lifting data, so been using RFID protectors for like forever. I rarely use my cards for anything other than medical. The new dentist's office was the last to be given the information and when I saw the first unauthorized charge, the receptionist's face immediately popped up in my mind's eye, which let me know it was she. Seems stupid to risk your job like that, but I'll never let on I know. If the law doesn't catch up with her, the Universe will. I bet she won't be able to look me in the eye when I show up for my cleaning appointment. That's pretty funny about Clyde.

      Delete
  7. I too visualised yoga mats and soft music with herbal teas and healthy smoothies to drink. At least you gave it a go which is great after all the Covid restrictions we've all had to live with. I too enjoyed Midsomer Murders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it looks in the movies, LOL, and I'm sure there are expensive zen getaways one can sign up for. I guess you could say we're a little more practical, booking conference rooms in nice hotels. Midsomer Murders, Agatha Cristie's Poirot are my Saturday night faire.

      Delete
  8. Gosh I hate a room of Chatty Cathys. I find this often happens around me and I guess other people think of it as a warm up but not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For where we are and what we were there for, they should have known better. Zip it and go out for chatter over coffee later.

      Delete