Sunday, May 8, 2022

I Was Expecting More

Now that the Tyrant (No. 8 manager) is long gone, and there is no longer anyone in management to claim our old Resident's Activity Facebook site as their own (something else he tried to steal from us, claim as his and say Apache wasn't allowed to post to) and since we have a group of women (Red Light, the Talker, Jan, the Baker) trying to kickstart activities, taking a lot of photos, I allowed myself to be talked into restarting our old site.

Sorting through photos the women had taken at the last three bingo sessions took up most of yesterday, but I got 'er done.

One of the photos given me for posting was one taken at Friday's bingo, where I'd worn a favorite shirt of mine.


The lettering that indicates I've got "All original parts" isn't exactly true, as I don't still have my appendix, but the ladies loved the shirt, had fun with my being out and proud about my age, inasmuch as there are women here who would rather die than disclose their age.

They also made a point to bring attention to the fact that the way the letters "spread" made it easy to read, unlike some whose shirts just hang, causing the letters to fall together and be unreadable. LOL.

What with crafting, various social medias, working out, television and now the resident's photo page, I don't have a lot of time for reading.

When Walter Mosley has a new book out, I’ll make time but, ordinarily, the only time I have to read is during downtime — while waiting for the dentist, the dermatologist, the car to be serviced, etc. Thus, because I've not had all that much downtime, I’ve not made much progress on that hilarious read I began back in August of last year Everyone in this Room Will Someday be Dead.

Even though I’ve still around 30 pages to go in finishing that book, and no downtime in sight, when I saw Randy Rainbow had an autobiography out, I put in an order.

Received my copy on Friday.


Inasmuch as I’d paid extra for an autographed copy, I immediately opened to see what Randy had written.


I expected more.

Is that even Randy’s autograph or did some little assistant scribble it for him?

When Twin 2 attended a reading by Walter Mosley, mentioned it was me, her mom, who’d gotten her hooked on his books, Mosley signed a copy of the book he was promoting — a book she’d purchased for me.


Not my favorite Mosley book, but the autograph mentioning me by name makes it a treasured keepsake.

Also a treasure, as mentioned in a previous post, is the book autographed by the Official Witch of Los Angeles when I caught up with her back in 1969 on a book tour.


I haven’t a clue what the symbols mean, would like to know but whatever the symbols are saying has brought me good luck because the book is now considered rare and worth a nice chunk of change ... used. I imagine a used copy, with the author's signature, would bring in an even nicer chunk of change, though I've no plans to ever sell.

I guess the trick in getting more than a perfunctory autograph is to have the book signed in person. So, I’ll have to hope for a Randy Rainbow book tour close enough for me to get to, so I can get a proper autograph.

For those of you who may not have heard of Randy Rainbow (which I’ll find hard to believe), he’s an entertainer popular for his humorous parodies of No. 45 and other GQP politicians.


17 comments:

  1. I cannot get over your shirt! It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I did not know Randy Rainbow has published his autobiography! You'll have to let us know if it's a worthy read. I love his videos and his satire can be viciously sharp indeed, just how I like it. I recently bought Harvey Fierstein's memoirs, "I Was Better Last Night," but I haven't started to read it yet. Need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a while before I get started on Randy's book, but I'll let you know how it is. I'm sure it's going to be a good read.

      Delete
  3. Love Randy Rainbow (did you know that's actually his real name?) but I can't figure out who "Louise Huebner" is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I did know Rainbow is his real last name. Louise was a witch ... a good witch.

      Delete
  4. Love the shirt! I did the math; you don't match the math. You must have bought some old geezer's shirt cuz you don't appear that old, especially from going to the Pain Cave. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - I'm in love with Randy Rainbow. Your shirt is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, I'll luck up on one of Randy's book tours. I'll tell him he's loved in the UK :-)

      Delete
  6. I would think that they sign a lot of books and the signature might be a little different when their hands get tired but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to stop by the bookstore, see what the signatures look like on some of the other books he supposedly signed. If they look different per book, then either he or an assistant signed each book. BUT if they all look the same, then this is a reproduction of his signature.

      Delete
  7. I confess to never having heard of Randy Rainbow. And I agree that his autograph, which you paid extra for, is lacking. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't just a stamp that some assistant *whaps* on there.

    I love the witchy runes, though. I bet if you post them on reddit, someone will know what it says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm thinking ... a replica of his signature, possibly a stamp. I feel cheated. Expected more of Randy. Reddit is a great idea.

      Delete
  8. The Girls did a great job of making it readable. *winks* My Mom always added a Decade to her age, always ensured a sincere compliment... she said Women lied about Age in the Wrong direction. I hope Randy didn't just have someone Stamp that Autograph on your Book...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just started The Long Fall. Somehow I missed that one, 2006, I think. I'm really enjoying it. I just love Mosely's writing style.

    ReplyDelete