Monday, May 30, 2022

Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked

I guess both Trainer and I are both wicked because neither of us is resting this Memorial Day Holiday. He’s working — the studio is open today, so I had my regular workout this Monday morning, even though I offered to not so he could be home with his family.

Heading to the Pain Cave this morning, I stopped by the dumpster to toss the trash and encountered a dumpster full to overflowing — a sign that someone has died, and their unit is being cleared out.

I don’t know if the unit being cleared is one of the three deaths Red Light told me of, or yet another, a fourth. But, either way, that’s a lot. We usually don’t see deaths until closer to the end of the year, when people decide they’re done, don’t want to see another year, and give up. To see so many deaths this time of year indicates to me that folks are giving up sooner because the world and everything in it is so screwed up.

At any rate, two residents were having a discussion at the dumpster. I heard one say, "What difference does it make? She’s dead. They have to clean out the unit". Let’s call him Man 1.

The other, Man 2, was saying something about "memorabilia" to which Man 1 replied, "They didn’t care about her. None of them ever visited her".

It was then I noticed Man 2 was holding a Creative Memories Photo Album. I stepped in and said, "That’s a Creative Memory Scrapbook".

Man 2 said he’d pulled it out of the trash, along with other photos.

Appalled, but not surprised that management would toss precious old photos — because they're ruthless, don't care, I offered to take what Man 2 had saved from destruction, see if I could research names mentioned in the album and on the back of photos, find a family member to send to. I also told Man 2 that I’d post to social media, see if anyone recognized their childhood photo.


Judging from what I’ve deduced so far, this is an old photo of the resident who passed away.


It's hard to tell how she might have looked more recently, but I don’t recognize seeing anyone who looked remotely similar.

Man 2 tells me her name is Bonita and, "She’s the woman who used to walk around with a little dog".

THAT describes three-quarters of the female population here. They mostly all walk around with little dogs.

I did find a document with her full name, researched that and found her Facebook page.

The page hasn't been active since 2018, but four friends are listed.

I sent all four the following message: "Hello. Bonita Jean Millard recently passed away. I see you are listed as a FB Friend. Management at the senior complex she was living in tossed family photo albums, photos, letters in the trash. Another neighbor and I retrieved those items from trash and are trying to locate a family member of hers that might want the memorabilia. Can you help. Do you know any of her people?"

It’s a start.

There are also letters I can go through, look for names and mailing addresses.

I’d post some of this stuff to Reddit, ask for help, but Reddit is too much technology for me. I’ll stick to Facebook.

23 comments:

  1. That is so kind of you to do this investigation. Fingers crossed you have some response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you. Where have you been? I've been thinking the worst.

      Delete
  2. I am always here but my comments have not been getting through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with finding family/friends of the deceased to give the photos and memorabilia to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so kind of you to help preserve her memory with friends/family...
    if found. Keep us posted on what you find out.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too do Creative Memory Scrapbooking, know how much love and care go into those books. Would hate to see mine tossed in the trash rather than sent to a family member.

      Delete
  5. What a kind project. Makes me wonder if maintenance even contacted any family. Wonder if the rental office had a family contact number. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they have emergency contact numbers up the wazoo. Bug us every six months to update. But I've had instances where I turn mine in, get a nasty 2nd request note because they suck at record keeping. I, of course, turn it in again with a 2nd Response note attached. I think they just go through the motion of collecting the data, but then don't use it or can't find it when it's needed or don't care to be bothered.

      Delete
    2. It amazes me how many people just do not care.

      Delete
  6. Shirley the sleuth. Good luck with your search. I think you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really kind of you. Don't management have any next of kin info for her? You'd think they'd have someone to advise about her passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to do a post on how management treats the deceased around here.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for doing this and good luck finding family.
    When my great aunt died, my aunt and uncle just went in her apartment and threw everything away. They didn't even look through things or ask the rest of the family if they wanted to look through things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister tried to do the same thing when mom died, but my twin daughters pulled a fast one. One distracted her inside while the other got all the boxes of photos, put them in her car and gave to me to set up in Creative Memory albums.

      Delete
  9. Nice of you to try to find Bonita's loved ones. I would think that management of your complex would have contact info of some sort. Or do they just chuck stuff out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have contact information. I just don't think they take the time to bother. I'm going to explain further in a post.

      Delete
  10. Very kind of you to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a really nice thing to do.
    Here when someone dies or moves out and leaves stuff, management will keep it in the apartment for 30 days and if no family comes to get it or after they've taken what they want, management tells residents they can come in and take what they want.

    ReplyDelete