Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Vacancy

Looks like I’ll be getting another new neighbor across the quad; and no, it’s not the guy that moved into the weird energy unit. Whatever is in that unit hasn’t yet chased him away.

The vacant unit is downstairs, next door to Red Light. That neighbor has been evicted.

Some of you might remember that neighbor as the resident everyone tried to help because, in addition to smoking in her unit, which caused problems for those in units surrounding hers that had health problems, she was also drinking herself to death.

Welfare checks had been called for her on numerous occasions. She turned away all offers of help — wouldn’t even open the door to let the visiting nurse evaluate her at the welfare check called for her December of 22.

At that time, us neighbors were told that nothing could be done for her if she declined help, so we left her alone.

Having not actually seen her in person since just before the pandemic began, when I gave her a ride back from the grocery store with her bottles of whiskey, it was just a few weeks ago she crossed my mind. I began to wonder if she was eating or was there lying deceased inside the unit since that last welfare check had been requested. Then I saw a grocery store food delivery come to her door, followed a few days later by a suspicious looking person dropping off a bag that looked like alcohol.

It must have been right after that sighting when she was evicted.

Management has tried to evict her for years — because of violating the no smoking rules, with no success because of this, that, the other. Then covid came, she became ill with long covid, said she had no place to go and would be homeless again, so management backed off. How management was able to now effectuate an eviction I do not know, but they did.

Red Light tells me the authorities arrived to remove/evict that neighbor from the unit two weeks ago, found her not well and had an ambulance take her away. Whereupon management posted an eviction notice to her door.

Two weeks ago, right under my nose, and I’d not heard or seen a thing?????? I actually didn’t believe what Redlight was telling me, went to check Patty’s door my own self, and sure enough …..


WOW! So brutal and so sad to see that happen to someone.

If only she'd accepted the help. Might have changed the course of how her story is ending.

Oh, well.

I popped into the Community Room this morning to check out the 4th of July Celebration, which turned out to be Chinese food and a presentation by some organization I did not stay around long enough to find out who.

Chinese is my favorite. It would have hurt too much to see others partake and not be able to join in, so I left and ran errands instead, including driving by the preferred branch of the bank.

Woo Hoo, it was open.

The teller told me that, when I stopped by Saturday and found them closed, that was the first day of their shutting down on a Saturdays.

Looks like I’ll have to rearrange my schedule to bank during the week, rather than weekends. For now, while I ponder this inconvenience, I took out sufficient cash that I’d not have to deal with banking for a great while, and made sure I wasn’t being followed for jugging after.

I'll have to tell the kids that, in case of my demise, be sure to check the mattress before trashing or donating it.

17 comments:

  1. Wow! Quite the news about Red Light. Any idea where she can go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Red Light, but her next-door neighbor who has no one, so I shutter to think where she can go. Hopefully, the authorities or hospital get her detoxed off alcohol, start from there. She's not yet 60 years old and is a wreck.

      Delete
  2. I hope that money in your mattress doesn't create a "Princess and the Pea" sleeping problem, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the price of groceries being what they are, it won't be in the mattress long enough to bruise my sensitive body 😄 And btw, as a child, that was my favorite fairy tale.

      Delete
  3. Some folks refuse to accept help, out of a sense of pride, or a sense of being indebted to someone else.
    Sad, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or just plain stubborn, which I think was more Patty's case.

      Delete
  4. Such a tragic story about Redlight. I wonder what will happen to her now. Clearly nothing good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to clarify, this isn't happening to Redlight. It's her next-door neighbor who has tragically been evicted.

      Delete
  5. I can remember the one apartment building I lived in past. There's a lady that lived underneath me and I think I saw her once in the 15 years I lived there. And she must have smoked like a fiend because as soon as you would enter the building you could immediately smell cigarette smoke, and it even permeated into my bedroom and closet upstairs. And I remember servicemen coming once, to repair her cable wire and they needed access in my apartment to run the wire up to the Attic. They told me her cigarette smoking was so bad in the apartment it almost look like a fog. And they said the walls we're downright yellow with brown runs coming down them. No Doubt cigarette smoke runs from humidity making it sweat. And you could always see from her vertical blinds outside that they were gold which should have been pure white. I also think they said she was a hoarder. I had another friend that lived there and still is, we have no idea how she is even still alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "we have no idea how she is even still alive" ... that is If she's even still alive in her hoard. Smoking in hoard seems like a fire waiting to happen. I'm surprised building management allowed it.

      Delete
    2. The units were condo's so she owned her's. But if the property management company ever needed to go in for some reason, she will be screwed. I don't understand how she breaths..

      Delete
  6. I've seen so many people getting evicted in this apartment complex in the 25 years that I've lived here. Some of them were very sad because it seemed like they didn't have any place to go. And then some of them were just crazy and social services and elder services came and took them away and their family came and got all of their belongings. It's always sad when something like that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, but I'm a little angry that she was so stubborn. She flat out refused to follow the no-smoking on the property or inside the unit's rule. She could have easily taken her drunk arse outside the gate and avoided this eviction.

      Delete
  7. I am curious why you couldn't stay for the Chinese food since, as you said, it is your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite, but my gut issues/sensitivity to certain foods and ingredients hasn't allowed me to indulge in that favorite for years.

      Delete
  8. Sad indeed about the Neighbor whose now Evicted and was contrary to receiving Help when it was offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word is she's been taken to a convalescent home. With her addiction to alcohol, cigarettes and stubborn nature, the care givers are going to have a difficult time dealing with her.

      Delete