Saturday, July 1, 2023

Fashion is Subjective

It looks to be a quiet weekend here at the complex. The excessive heat warning is keeping residents indoors.

I’d assumed that, with Tuesday being the 4th of July, management would take a four-day weekend, but the July Activity Calendar, posted to our doors yesterday, indicates the office will be open Monday then closed Tuesday.

Back in the day when I was an employee, I’d take the day interfering with my having four straight days as vacation time, but I guess living on the premise as they do, office staff doesn’t have that option.

Sucks to be them.

The calendar also shows Activity Director will be hosting a 4th of July Celebration on Tuesday the 11th. Hopefully my calendar is clear that day so I can pop down to the room, take another stab at springing the mouse trap on Meat Man.

Surprisingly, I’ve heard no mention of Red Light and her posse hosting a BBQ on the 4th — probably because of the heat.

I’ve also not heard anything about how the campaign to get the office to open the Community Room on the 4th went, staff's day off, so residents can celebrate in A/C, but it’s safe to assume management’s response was a big fat NO!

John’s post about his fat pony this morning got me to thinking about how subjective art and fashion are, especially in light of what I’ve been seeing on this season’s Project Runway.

This season is about Redemption. Former contestants, as far back as Season 1, are back for a second chance.

The first challenge was to remake the design that sent them home and, whereas some designers succeeded, others produced work that was worse than the original — like this creation by Season 1 Nora.


Then, of course, there was a new look by Season 17 Bishme, that I thought was just as bad as the original that sent him home.


It was what am I not seeing when the judges said they loved it, gave high marks to the new look.

Week before last was the Unconventional Challenge, which had designers using toys from the famous FAO Schwarz toy store as materials.

That was a fun challenge to watch, with no surprises, except Season 15 Laurence let herself and us viewers down with her creation (I didn’t snap a photo), but it didn’t send her home.

This week’s episode had the designers tasked with a team challenge — create a modern fresh formal gown fit for royalty.

Again, I couldn’t help but think what am I missing, when the judges gave high marks and were gagging over this monstrosity created by, yet again, Season 15 Laurence with her co-designer Season 1 Kara.



I don't see the It Factor, do you?

I myself really liked the genderfluid non-binary gown created by Season 17 Hester and Season 10 Fabio (being worn by my favorite model Mimi) who said they wanted to create a gown that was regal and royal coming from their underrepresented perspective as part of the New York Underground Scene.



The gown was well received by the judges, but did not win the challenge.

BTW, did you who are Project Runway devotees, as I am, know that model Mimi was once a Buddhist Monk? She was ordained and lived in the Monastery six year, I think it was, before she had to leave to help her family out of a financial crisis.

When all was said and done, the winning design this week was created by Season 17 Prajjé with Season 5 Korto. The two were obviously inspired by their African roots.



I forgot what the next challenge is, but I’ll be watching.

Tim and Heidi still have their thing going on Prime, which I followed on the laptop while in bed in the evenings. However, during their break, I got caught up in TikTok and lost interest in keeping up with their Making the Cut.

14 comments:

  1. New look number 1 looks like she could beat the snot out of anyone she wanted too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That model was mean mugging. Guess she didn't like the outfit she was forced to wear.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea Project Runway was even still on!?!?!?! I hadn't seen it since like season 5 or whenever Christian Siriano was on. And those snippets of pictures of the old and new?!?!? I don't see a resemblance at all. But those gowns are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those New Looks justify those designers not making the cut the first time around. No “It” factor. More like “What the F” factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the F is what I thought about the see-thru gown that the judges liked so much. I think it's time for new judges.

      Delete
  4. I loved Prajjé and Korto's look, but agree then gender fluid one was cool and edgy.
    There has been some good this season, but there has been some ugly, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good some ugly and always interesting to see the process.

      Delete
  5. Not here too, way too hot to be doing anything outside for too long. Anything on the fashion runways always seems very unpractical, uncomfortable and just not something that a normal person would wear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure nothing anyone around here would or could wear. We're all wearing designed by Target or Walmart labels.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know Project Runway was still on or I would have been following it. We aren't planning anything for the 4th of July due to the extreme heat warnings, its been 115 already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't advertise it very well. I missed the first episode, when the contestants were introduced, caught the next (first challenge) by lucky chance, when flipping channels.

      Delete
  7. Can't say I really admire any of those creations but certainly can't see any royal wearing that see through dress 😂

    ReplyDelete