Friday, July 14, 2023

Overkill

This seems excessive.


The door of the recently evicted resident across the quad is now plastered with not only the eviction notice, but two notices from Animal Control — one a violation for allowing her cat to go without care and attention, and another requesting her to appear to face accusations of moving out, leaving the cat behind.

I know that sometimes when it rains it pours, but damn. This is overkill.

When I’d asked about her cat, I was told that the office asked my Next Door Neighbor, who was more involved in trying to assist Patty than the rest of us, used to pick up groceries for her, had a key to her unit, they asked if she would take the cat.

That was a no. Next Door Neighbor is not a pet person and her close relationship with Patty ended some time ago, when NDN returned with Patty’s grocery order but flat out refused to purchase and provide Patty with alcohol to drink herself to death, whereupon Patty yelled, "I NEED IT" and threw something at NDN.

Not able to pawn the cat off on NDN, management supposedly turned it over to a shelter.

That being the case, why then is Patty being accused of moving out, leaving the cat behind. Especially since she didn’t move out. She was carried out on a stretcher by medical personnel.

Did management not turn the cat over to a shelter?

One school of thought is … yes, management turned the cat over to a shelter, the cat was evaluated and found to have been neglected, in poor shape. Thus, the violation of allowing the cat to go without care and attention.

That doesn’t explain how she can also be accused of moving out/leaving the cat uncared for behind.

No matter how one looks at it, these additional notices are confusing, overkill and a waste of time, as nothing more can be done to Patty.

Today being bingo Friday, I had an opportunity to catch up with Buttons — the 87 year old that plays with pretty buttons.

She’d told me a few weeks back that she was scheduled for a skin cancer removal procedure — her 6th in 10 years, and said three things work against her, makes her susceptible to skin cancers (1) She’s fair skinned (2) Has blue eyes (3) Doesn’t drink coffee.

I didn’t disbelieve what she was telling me about coffee but, wanting to know the why of it, I looked it up and found "Coffee has been associated with lower melanoma and basal cell carcinoma risk in humans. The catch? Decaf doesn't have the same effect. That's because caffeine inhibits an enzyme called ATR, which plays a key role in the survival of cells damaged by ultraviolet (UV) rays".

Interesting, is it not?

At any rate, I’m dark skinned, have brown eyes, drink tons of coffee, so that’s one ailment I won’t have to worry about contracting.

Buttons had the removal procedure done on Monday, said it didn’t hurt and went on about waiting for staples or maybe she said stitches to do something or other. I wasn’t actually clear on what she was telling me after she said it didn’t hurt, because the procedure she went on to describe had me cringing, curling up into a ball and screeching.

24 comments:

  1. Interesting fact about caffeine and skin cancer -- did not know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. News to me as well but, if coffee would help, I'd start drinking some if I were she.

      Delete
  2. LOL. Well, at least you didn't have to take her to and from the skin procedure. If it's known what shelter the cat is located, it's tempting to tell them that the owner wasn't able to arrange for cat care when she was carried out of the unit. Bet the cat likes a little toddy before bed too. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drink coffee and have since my late teens but it didn't keep me from getting skin cancer a couple of times. Someone just today was telling me that coffee is good for us but couldn't remember why. LOL Now I know.

    Where I live when you have a pet we have to sign a document listing two people who'd come take the pet if something happens to its owner. Very sad what happens to cats and dogs in situations like you're describing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about the other two things that purportedly makes one susceptible to skin cancer? I'm assuming you are fair skinned, but do you also have blue eyes? That document sounds like a good idea but, in Patty's situation, she sadly couldn't name two people to come take herself, let alone her pet. I understand she had to list a social worker as the person to call in an emergency.

      Delete
  4. Interesting about caffeine and skin cancer although not necessarily justification for adding it to the list of skin cancer susceptibilities. What a mess on that door. And you're right. No clue why they would feel the need to add all that info. Maybe to show the rest of the residents who's the boss. Maybe as added ammo to ensure Redlight can never move back in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to clarify, it's not Red Light that was evicted. It's Red Light's next-door neighbor I'm speaking of .... the smoker/drinker that refused help when welfare checks were requested for her.

      Delete
  5. I just hope her cat is safe, but you're right about the overkill.

    I also hadn't heard that about caffeine ... I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the side of residents transitioning to convalescent care and/or passing away that's worrisome .... what happens to their pets? The dogs/cats are traumatized by the loss of their human parent and shuffled off to God knows who, God knows where.

      Delete
  6. I adopted from a rescue society. If anything happened to me, the rescue society would have been first in line to take the beagles back (fortunately both dogs lived to their full lifespan). However even if I predeceased the dogs, the rescue society may have been challenged by a friend of mine who really loved and helped care for the dogs on a regular basis. Thank goodness it didn't happen, because it would have broken many hearts.
    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great planning, and many hearts indeed, including those of us who enjoy your comments.

      Delete
  7. Yup, you and me both. Just say "I had surgery" and leave the bloody details to the medical journals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such details are not for us faint of hearts. Eeek 😬

      Delete
    2. I never need to know what kind of Surgery someone had, let alone have them describe it or show me. I'm on a need to know basis and I DON'T Need to Know either, so, it's Unanimous then. *winks*

      Delete
  8. I knew Coffee had benefits, but I wasn't aware of that one, so, now another excuse to go to Starbucks? *Winks* As for the Resident with the Notices, yes, it's Overkill and insensitive to the plight of an elderly person in decline herself. Is it no wonder the Care of her Cat faltered when the Care of herself did? And... I'm glad the Cat was humanely dealt with by others on her behalf. In Da Hood, often people with zero excuses to leave an Animal behind often did anyway when they Moved away, and, honestly, I don't think any of them faced actual consequences. Neighbors were the ones left with the responsibility of rescuing an Animal or calling Authorities to come retrieve it. I had several of our Cats Adopt us in this way when we lived in the Historic Hone, if a Cat is mercifully left unattended Outdoors, they will find a way, if Abandoned by their Humans, they are very resourceful Creatures and Independent. Her Cat being Indoors only meant somebody who would have to deal with the Resident having to be removed from the premises for whatever reason involuntarily it happened, would also have the obligation to deal with the Pet she had no choice but to leave behind as she's carted off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell Starbucks about this benefit. They'll use it as an excuse to raise the price. And yes, that last sentence. Someone had to have taken the cat to the shelter, probably management. Maybe they were too ashamed to say they'd evicted Patty, instead told the shelter she moved out, left cat behind, resulting in these violations.

      Delete
  9. If he has the same benefit for skin cancer. Cuz I drink more tea than coffee during the day. I might have one cup of coffee but I drink several cups of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of coffee, she's a tea drinker which is so not seeming to help her. Maybe would be better, if like you, she incorporated some coffee.

      Delete
  10. Yay, another feather in coffee's cap! I already knew it was my friend.
    And I agree about the notices being overkill. Any word on the cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless other notices are posted to her door, I don't think we'll ever know what happens from here to either Patty or her cat.

      Delete
  11. OMG. That is so incredibly wrong. Bad karma to those involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of wrong perpetrated upon seniors living here and understand it's an epidemic. That seniors are treated even worse elsewhere.

      Delete