Friday, January 6, 2023

Knock Knock

"Who’s there" said I around 2:30, as if I didn’t already know because I’d heard the tiny footsteps coming up the stairs, recognized her knock.

This time it wasn’t just a hug Talker’s granddaughter wanted to give me. She also wanted to give me her stuffed bear.


She’d introduced me to her bear — a Christmas present, last time she’d knocked. So, not wanting her to give her bear away, and not wanting to take it, I stuck my head outside the door to see if Talker was downstairs monitoring the child.

She was.

"She wants to give me her bear", said I.

"That’s why she wanted to come upstairs", said Talker. "To give you a hug and the bear".

I didn’t feel right about it but, to not disappoint Talker’s granddaughter, I accepted the gift, said I’d take good care of the bear, give it honey.

Talker’s granddaughter seemed happy as she bounded back down the stairs — with the last of the Christmas chocolates I’d set aside.


Since she will undoubtedly be knocking at my door again, I’ll tell her, when she returns, the bear was crying because it missed her. See if I can get her to take it back without hurting her feelings.

Do you not think it strange for her to give me her Christmas gift, and do you not think it odd for Talker to okay the transaction — not discourage her from giving it away?

Talker did say, some months ago, that she might be moving out in March, move in with her daughter to help with the kids. I’m now kinda sorta hoping she does move, so her granddaughter won’t be hanging around.

A break in the rain and a few hours of sunshine today sufficiently dried up the Christmas patio decorations to where I was able to put things back into storage, prepare for rainstorm phase 2.

None of my Mega tickets yielded a return but, with the pot closing in on a billion dollars, I have to keep playing because the price of goods and services have spiraled out of control.

Stopping into the market after this morning’s workout I walked out with very little in the nature of real food, other than eggs, uncured bacon, tomatoes. The remainder was cleaning products, paper products and the total cost was $106.06!

Then came news that something weird is happening with SoCalGas. Bills are going to double, which means somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 a month to heat my little unit.

It's insane!

Speaking of insane ....


UPDATE: Round 15 ... You finally ARE the Speaker.

23 comments:

  1. Odd that she gave you her gift and was, kind of, told to do so. I think your way of giving it back makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly, Talker's little granddaughter thinks the world of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, yes, I think it's weird that the little girl wanted to give away her bear, and even worse that Talker approved of it, or maybe instigated it. Makes you really stretch the psychology and wonder if anyone's been "given" away in her inner circle of family members. You could get a squeeze bottle of honey (does California have those little plastic honey bears?), and write a note of how much the bear wants to be with the girl, and park it in front of their door.
    I won the lottery last time! A whole $2. Hope it's better this evening. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this is the last BIG pot, and the system gets reworked where smaller pots will factor in so we'll have more winners rather than one big winner.

      Delete
    2. The big pots are working out just like they planned. It gets the dummies' (like me) to start buying tickets. I hope someone wins this soon.

      Delete
    3. You aren't a dummie if you win, so you've got to try

      Delete
  4. I love your way of returning the bear next time. SoCalGas! That's more than we pay for a 3-bedroom apartment with no insulation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps she read the same book we read to first graders...The Teddy Bear...where the little boy loses his teddy bear and it's found by a lonely homeless man. When the little boy rediscovers his bear and starts to take it back home, the homeless man cries and the little boy tells him he found the bear and he had one like it at one time so he knows how the man feels. He leaves the bear with the man. Perhaps the little girl thinks you need a bear to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a theory I'd not considered. Makes me wonder what kind of tall tales Grandma Talker has been filling her little head with. Perhaps Talker doesn't understand alone is not lonely or loveless.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I'm thinking giving her a book, to go along with the bear when I return it, is a good idea. Any suggestions on a book about a bear or toy that wants to go home to its owner?

      Delete
    3. That's a good one. I remember it well.

      Delete
  6. I love your idea of giving the bear back. Also the small pot of honey ( Drum Major suggested) would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno about the honey, but Dkzody's comment has given me an idea about a book. One that fits the situation I'm in.

      Delete
  7. Kids are weird, they do things like this. lol Maybe she'll take it back if you tell her that though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will OR I'll be giving it to Talker putting the onus on her as to how to give back to granddaughter without hurting her feelings.

      Delete
  8. I think your plan to say the bear missed her is a good one. And I also loved your Obama's Prayer Candles!!!! I have a RuPaul prayer candle! I don't know how McCarthy even continues in Congress. I myself would be embarrassed as all hell. Shit, I'm embarrassed for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoop Dog and Tiger King are on the other side of Michelle. You have only to look at their catsup tossing orange idol, and the newest lying liar Santos, to know those GQPers can't be embarrassed. They have no shame.

      Delete
  9. Kids if they like someone a lot can be sacrificial Givers. I think your ploy might work. Bear enjoying a visit and wanting to go home. The whole McCarthy sideshow was typical theatrics and extortion of the Cult and Extremists holding hostages when they realized it works...he was so Thirsty for the Title he was willing to do anything. Dawn...the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be funny if McCarthy didn't keep his word on the concessions he made to get the position.

      Delete