Thursday, January 12, 2023

Family Heirloom?

A few days ago, my heartbeat skipped a little when I heard the announcement on TV that a lottery ticket worth $4 million was purchased at a liquor store in Southern California. Alas, looking up at the screen, the pictured liquor store was not the one where I purchase my tickets.

At least I won $20 on a scratch off and $4 on two Mega tickets. It isn’t much when one considers the pot was $1.35 billion at that time; but I’ll take it, roll it over, try again.

When Twin 2 dropped in on Tuesday, it wasn’t to meet Bear but to return a workout tee that’s been in use some 30+ years, saying she was "working on detachment, starting with tangible things".

Sounds very Zen of her.

At any rate, I said "Don’t donate or throw it away. Give it to me to be added to the t-shirt quilt I’ve been one day planning to make from my race shirts".

The tee in question is one I purchased and began wearing in my late 40’s. I don’t know how Twin 2 came into possession, but she’d sent me a photo in 2013 of her wearing it.




Twin 2 just celebrated her 55th birthday, so the shirt having served the both of us well all these many decades, it’s fitting to retire it, add it to the t-shirt quilt stack.

Once I get around to working on that quilt — which won’t be until I finish this never-ending needlepoint project, I’ll make this tee the centerpiece of the quilt.

I looked for similar tees for when I was pushing 60, then 70. There were none then, but there are a few out there now.

Seeing this tee reminded me to take a stab at one saying "Pushing 80 is enough exercise". I found one had been available, but was discontinued some time ago.

I could make one, but I’ve enough crafting projects on my plate.

So, anyway, as I was moving containers around to get to the t-shirt quilt stack so I could add this one, I ran across my own stuffed buddy — a horse I'd stored away a few years ago.

Ride ‘Em Cowboy

Along about 2:00, Bear and I spotted Yazzy, her grandma and another neighbor sitting on the walkway's bench.


How dare they
, I thought. Bold a brass sitting there while I'm still Bearsitting (Thanks commenter).

I yell down to Talker, "Doesn't she want Bear back?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell her".

Sigh!

Once told, Yazzy couldn't get up here fast enough.


She missed Bear just as much as he missed her.

Yazzy loved the book, grandma Talker and the other neighbor gushed over it, talked about how creative it was.

So, there you have it folks. A happy ending.

End of the saga.

Bear has left the unit.

14 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you got the bear back to its rightful owner, and with its own book of adventures. I hope she takes that for show and tell when she goes to school. I can tell you why they discontinued that "Pushing 80" t-shirt--no demand! How many people who are 80 are out there exercising? Not too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came to the same conclusion as to why the shirt was discontinued ☹️.

      Delete
  2. Lots of pushing 80 t's out there.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/233713730425?hash=item366a6c8379:g:EtkAAOSw2hdi0Ay6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but link doesn't work. Besides, checked Ebay earlier and did not see what looking for.

      Delete
    2. ? It worked for me from what I posted above. ?

      Delete
    3. I've tried several ways to connect, even typed the data directly into Ebay, but still could not see whatever it is you're seeing. What is it you're seeing?

      Delete
  3. "Bear has left the unit" -- hahahahaha! Yazzy looks so happy to be reunited with Bear again. Glad everyone loved your book!
    In 2017, I got a birthday t-shirt that says "60 years of being awesome!" It's 5 years out of date now but it just makes people think I'm younger than I am, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The awesome tee is actually still around. There's a 70 and an 80. I passed on the 80 because I'm looking for one that specifically mentions pushing and exercise.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on getting Bear out the door. Horsie seems like he could go more places. You might have to make your own 80s t-shirt. Many folks pushing 80 are pushing their walkers! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should create a tee honoring those that get out and about, even with walkers .... "Pushing my walker is exercise enough".

      Delete
  5. Happy for Bear, for Yazzy, and for you. What a sweet tale you told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love a happy ending coming out of this crazy world.

      Delete
  6. A perfect ending! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping a perfect ending to tonight's Mega Draw .... Me winning the pot!

      Delete