Monday, January 23, 2023

High Wind Warning


Because of a roar that sounded like a freight train coming down the walkway all night, the building shaking and windows rattling, I didn’t need the weather service to issue a high wind warning for today.

Life goes on, today is a workout day, so I bundled up and headed out.

Just getting to the car was a battle as wind gusts pushed me back, tried to knock me off my feet.


Driving out of the complex, I saw cars travelling in the opposite direction blocked by huge tree limbs lying across the road. People were getting out of their cars, working in tandem to clear the roadway, pile the limbs over to the side so traffic could proceed unimpeded.

My side of the road was clear. Had it not been, there was no way I could have walked to the Pain Cave in that heavy wind.

Arriving at the Pain Cave, Trainer asked how I felt today.

He was asking because I’d experienced that energy drain all of last week, which necessitated his making adjustments to my workouts.

This morning, I was able to tell him today I felt great, that the energy drain was gone and that I think the source had been my little stalker — Talker’s granddaughter, because the minute I mentally disconnected from her, decided I'd no longer open the door to her, accept any hugs or gifts, I felt free, as though a weight had lifted.

Trainer ridiculed the notion that a six-year-old could cause an energy drain in an adult.

I actually don’t know how old Talker’s granddaughter is. I just know she’s in kindergarten, which means she probably is about six years of age, but even a newborn can drain the energy out of both his parents, so don't tell me a child can't drain the life out of an adult.

At any rate, I met Trainer’s ridicule that a six-year-old had that kind of power by pointing out that a six-year-old recently shot his teacher.

Age is not a limitation.

15 comments:

  1. Is Trainer a parent? Doesn't sound like it, if he doesn't know how draining kids can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That's what I was thinking but, in his case, he plays video games with his boys and lets his wife do all the heavy lifting ,,, so he doesn't get it,

      Delete
  2. I know how you feel about Talker's g/daughter - a visit now and then is fine but it sounds like it was beginning to be a chore, then it stops being fun and starts getting to the point that you don't want to answer the door. Hopefully if you miss answering a few times Talker will get the hint. Good you've got your energy back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! I would have been fine with it in small doses, but it's gotten to be too much. Hopefully Talker has already sensed by my obvious irritation the last two times, that enough is enough.

      Delete
  3. That's pretty windy! Looks a lot like most days in Oklahoma. You're dealing with a "wind tunnel" effect also inbetween your buildings, where the wind speeds up. If you see Dorothy, Toto, or the Wicked Witch, get under cover in a basement! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "wind tunnel" is precisely what it is. The sounds are even worse when the Santa Ana winds come through. No basement, can't even get under the bed as it's a platform. I'll just have to fly along with Dorothy, see where I land.

      Delete
    2. Hope there's a basement storage area. Otherwise it's suggested to be in a bathtub covered with a mattress. Hope you can avoid tornadoes and earthquakes! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
  4. I had the same thought about the 6-year-old with a gun. What an awful thought to have. I spent half my childhood 2 blocks away from the Atlantic Ocean. When the co-op was built, a very strange guardrail was installed on a path alongside the 5 buildings. I laughed saying it was for the old farts. Soon thereafter, I got blown off my feet by the ocean winds and only saved myself by grabbing that railing. I used it plenty of times over the next several years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother Nature is no joke. She'll blow you away regardless.

      Delete
  5. Yuck for the wind, but I'm glad your energy is back. I think your connecting the energy drain to Talker's granddaughter stalking make perfect sense. Good decision to mentally disconnect!
    I hope the winds calm down for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where the drain was coming from was perplexing. I was thinking something going on in the family or picking up neighbors who did not feel well or even I myself was on the verge of getting sick. Never ever thought it was my little stalker until the drain lifted. Wind is down today. Trying to motivate myself to at least walk around the complex a time or two just to get my engine restarted.

      Delete
  6. Children can be very draining. Especially as we age. When I was a young mother I had the patience of a saint. I always enjoyed having kids around and their friends. Now I get exhausted Face Timing once a week with my grandson. Go figure. Best, Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. When I was young, it was me, my girls and some of the neighborhood kids. Now I can only take them in small doses, including my own, LOL.

      Delete
  7. Having Raised Two Generations, I concur that Children indeed can drain Energy, especially when we get Older and our Stamina level for their intensity is compromised. It doesn't take much for me to tank when dealing with Teen Angst, even tho' the Granddaughter is a good Kid, she has her Moments, and I need a Nap almost immediately after Dealing with any Drama and a Headache... since, it does negatively impact me. I think it was wise for you to limit your exposure to the little one. Kids aren't always aware of boundaries and how welcome or unwelcome their presence is, no matter how adorbs they are, a little bit of any of them can go a long way. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit of every human, adult or child, can go a long way, which is why I limit my interactions. I made allowances for my little stalker and it got to me in the end. Won't make that mistake again.

      Delete