Sunday, January 22, 2023

Did I Get Played?

The Lunar New Year didn’t get off to a great start, what with the mass shooting a few cities over in Monterey Park, and plans to begin restarting my walking routine this morning also did not get off to a good start.

I’d awakened at 2:00 a.m. with stuff on my mind, didn’t get back to sleep until around 5:00, and slept until 9:30 with no desire to head out.

At any rate, one thing that popped into my head at 2:00 a.m. was a delayed "Did I get played?" reaction to an article on MSN I’d read two days ago.

The context of the article was … "Have you ever been in a strip mall parking lot, maybe outside a food store, and seen something like this guy passionately playing the violin for money. Perhaps they had a sign that tugged at your heartstrings; but they weren’t just playing any violin, it was an electric violin, amplified through a speaker. Well, there’s a chance that person was a faker, pretending to play the instrument and that sweet sound was just a recording. ICE recently arrested a 22-year-old from Italy who made $80 grand doing that over the last year …………… these scams have taken place all over the country. Police have put out warnings saying you need to be careful giving money to these scammers because they may not be musicians but they are certainly artists."

It wasn’t until early this morning when my mind went back to April, when I’d posted about the musical street performer I’d run into when exiting Sprouts Farmer’s Market, made a $20 cash donation to his box, because I’d enjoyed his playing and appreciated his hustle — using his talent to provide "For food, for living" as written on his donation box.


Did I fall for a scam? Did I get played?

It’s so difficult these days to know who to trust. Who is legit. What’s a scam.

I’d previously blogged about leaving Walmart and spying a woman asking for help with rent and food. She had a child with her, and I’d wanted to give to her but the flow of traffic had prevented my stopping. THEN, at my next stop I spied a man, with a child, holding up a sign with the exact same wording and handwriting as on the sign as the one I’d seen at Walmart.

Several of you commented at the time that they are all cons.

There is a group of three who work the area of the Pain Cave and the parking lot of businesses across the street — a woman and two males. I’ve seen them around for years and, more than a few times, have recently tried to capture a photo of the few times I’d spied all three together, to blog about their activities after having learned how much money they make.

I’d mentioned previously that Trainer is somewhat the same kind of sucker I am — melts and falls for it sometimes. He once gave the woman in the group a jacket from his car when he saw her out in the cold, gave her a hot soup cup to warm up and has gotten to know the two guys, who recently told him they make about $60 A DAY!!! in donations.

It's easy to see how people will feel sorry for the woman, walking around barefoot, barely clothed, give her cash — not knowing she’s pimping for the guys.

I’ve never gotten close enough — by choice, to see what’s on the signs the guys hold up, but sometimes one of the guy dresses in a uniform to pull heartstrings that he’s a homeless vet.

He may be; but $60 a day is a lot of money to con folks out of.

So, though I don’t know if I got played by the musician or not, I do know I won’t, in the future, be dropping cash into the box of street musicians.

Speaking of being played … Just as I was finishing this post, I heard the footsteps coming up the stairs followed by a knock knock at the door.

Oh No! thought I. Which, by the way, is telling in itself because dread is not a good reaction to have to a visitor.

I assumed Talker’s granddaughter just wanted to give me a hug, which she did. But then she stepped inside, began looking around and asked, "Where’s Sunny?"

OMG Bob!, you were right. She wanted Sunny back.

No problem returning Sunny but, just like that, my patience of accepting her knocking, giving me hugs, gifting me, and my tolerating it all because I did not want to hurt her feelings came to an end.

"You’re an Indian Giver" said I. "Do you know what an Indian Giver is?"

She did not, so I explained it to her.

"Okay" said she, as she calmly bounced on outta here with Sunny, LOL.



Grandma Talker looked helpless and embarrassed as she said, "She was just supposed to come up and say goodbye".

Talker thinks that, because granddaughter took to me so quickly that there is a deeper spiritual thing going on.

I can accept that and also believe that people are brought into our lives and we into there’s for a reason.

I also believe that though the Universe gives us these assignments with each other, we don’t have to accept each and every assignment. We can say no.

I've been patient, I've been kind because I didn’t want to hurt granddaughter's little feelings and also because, not to be cruel, but it has crossed my mind a few times that she’s so sweet and guileless because that’s the way she now is from that two-story fall that showed no "physical" damage, but my patience has come to an end. I'm opting out of this assignment.

I still don’t want to hurt her feelings, but I won't be accepting any more gifts from her and will be going so far as to not answer the door next time she knocks.

Talker will know I’m inside, but maybe think I'm too occupied to come to the door.

She'll eventually get the message, when I fail to answer often enough, and will stop granddaughter from coming upstairs for any reason.

21 comments:

  1. Facepalm for me! 🤦‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best way to support those who need help is not to give individual donations directly to panhandlers but to donate to social/charitable organizations which help the poor, like food banks, soup kitchens, etc. That's mainly what I do. If I do want to give money directly to people, I make the decision with the thought "can I afford to gamble this amount on the request being legit?" If I can, then I give the money and don't worry about truth/falsehood; but if it's too much to gamble, then I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've donated to charities only to learn the money went to fund the lavish lifestyle of the organizers (the March of Dimes scandal back in the day) and when I gave to a children's charity, they sold my name and I was inundated with requests for donations, so I don't trust organizations. Seems I can't now trust individuals either.

      Delete
  3. Well, I hadn't heard of musician scammers. Poo. Thanks for the warning, but I think this Old Drum Major can probably detect if their fingers are really doing the playing, or a recording. Good to loosen the ties from that little girl; it just seemed a bit odd with Talker encouraging it. Around here, those curbside "poor people" scammers are raking in over $200 a day. Make me want to quit my day job! Good that the world still has kind people like you! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worked all my life and never came close to what some of these panhandlers are making. Had I known then what I know now, I might have been tempted to quit my day job as well.

      Delete
  4. I like Debra's way of thinking. And yours regarding Talker's granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is a teaching lesson. I think my takeaway is to be less nice, less kind, more bitchy.

      Delete
    2. Ha! SG would call that being a New Yorker.

      Delete
  5. I've given money to a violin player here in Maryland. I know they're scamming me but frankly I figure if these people are so desperate that they're willing to beg, I can afford to help them out. Or maybe they're not desperate but they are working, in a fashion. Having a huge scammer as the president of this country for 4 years changed me. I have more respect for the scammy violinist than I do for most of the politicians 10 miles from my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point about the greatest scammer of all having run the country and all the scammy politicians, so if something inside prompts me to give without questioning validity, I'll go with it.

      Delete
  6. Fake violinists are here in Ohio, too, along with career panhandlers who stake out the same spot day after day for years. One that especially irks me wears expensive sunglasses and shoes, holds a bs sign about being homeless and raising 3 grandkids. Of course that wouldn’t be allowed by social services. And he’s been homeless for 3+ years? Cmon, buddy. Methinks you reinforced your little friend’s habit of visiting by giving her candy. I might show up daily for chocolate too LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Expensive sunglasses and shoes" ... ROFLMAO! You'd think he'd at least dress for the part.

      Delete
  7. I heard a tall story of two Mexican cousins who begged in different parts of the same town. One grew so rich he had to hide his Mercedes round the corner before begging. The other did not do well at all. Finally the poor one asked how come his cousin did so well. Supposedly he held a sign saying " Need only $15.00 more dollars to return to Mexico". JanF

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't blame you for not wanting to answer the door. I would feel the same way. I've seen the fake violinists and have been warned on tv not to give them money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be hard for me not to answer, but I'm tired of being inconvenienced because I don't want to hurt her feelings. I could just tell the Talker to stop letting her come up, but that will open a can of worms around here. So, I'm taking the coward's way out.

      Delete
    2. Not the coward's way but common sense. JanF

      Delete