Friday, May 14, 2021

Pandora’s Box

Yesterday’s visit to the medical center was tantamount to opening Pandora’s Box.

That simple blood pressure check, turned into a photo session, calls to the office of my primary doctor, allergy medication, discussions as to whether or not I’d be allowed to take a 2nd dose of Moderna, a new telephone, a 5:30 call from a doctor who is not my primary, and an appointment to return in two weeks for a second blood pressure check.

Whew!

Just before leaving the house, I took my pressure, to make sure there’d be no hiccups.

Color me pleased with myself, stroking myself on the back for a job well done, when I registered 124/49.

The drive to the medical center was easy peasy, and I was called in to see Nurse 1 right away.

Color me shocked when I registered a 155/64.

“That can’t be right”, said I.

She took a second read, which came out as 156.

A third read, went all the way up to 166.

“There must be something wrong with your equipment, because it was 124 when I took it just before I headed this way.”

“Let’s try having you come back in two weeks for a recheck”, says she.

I agree and, as she begins to uncuff me, then notices a big red raised welt forming halfway around the circumference of my arm.

“Oh, that’s from my first shot of Moderna.”, says I.

“When was your shot?” asks she.

“Star Wars Day”.

“When did it start looking like that?”

“Three days ago”, said I.

Next thing I know she’s on the phone calling her Charge Nurse, who comes in and begins taking pictures of my injection site.

Charge Nurse gets on the phone and tries to schedule for me to drive over, see my primary, at another location.

When Charge Nurse is unable to get me scheduled in, I say “It’s interesting to see that even you guys have the same difficulty I have scheduling with my primary. I’m constantly telling myself to not get sick, because she’s usually booked up three months in advance.”

“That’s probably because, now that everything is opening up, people are scheduling again”, said Nurse 1

“Oh no. Getting an appointment with her was like that long before the pandemic”.

“She must be a good doctor”.

“She is. Plus, she’s female and, if her other patients are anything like me, they don’t want a male doctor. I myself won’t have a male doctor, because I’ve got PTSD from things male doctors have said and done”.

Unable to get me in to see my primary, Charge nurse tells me to head to the pharmacy, pick up ice packs and Neosporin to treat the area, Benadryl to handle what she calls “an allergic reaction”, and make myself available at 5:30 to take a call from a doctor who will sub for my primary … a male doctor, but I guess a phone visit is safe.

After she leaves, I suddenly remember the answer button my phone doesn’t work, so I say to Nurse 1 “Oh no. I have no means by which to take the doctor’s 5:30 call”.

“Do you have another number?”

“No. I’ll have to give in and buy another phone”.

“There’s a Verizon Store down the street in the Walmart shopping center”, she says.

So next item to come out of Pandora’s Box was a visit to the cellphone store where I end up with a costly new phone, after telling the guy my phone should not be breaking down so soon — it’s barely three years old.

“Verizon recommends a new phone every year”, says he.

“LOL. I bet they do, at $700 a pop”, says I.

“And the price is only going to go up”, says he.

Later that afternoon …. right on cue, the doctor calls. He’s looking at the photos Charge Nurse sent him, asking me questions.

His advice is yes on ice packs, no on Benadryl, take Loratadine instead.

He asks me to take my pressure while he’s on the phone.

I’d checked it when I got back from the medical center. It registered at 144/61, which elevation I attributed to dealing with a morning of stuff coming out of Pandora’s Box.

With doc on the phone, it jumps to 159/57.

I’m beginning to think the problem is White Coat Syndrome — I get around, or hear from medical professionals, and my blood pressure elevates.

The day ended with the lid on Pandora’s Box remaining open because, doc’s advice was to wait and see if the area is better a week before my 2nd dose. If it’s not, a telephone visit with the primary is to determine yea or nay on the second dose.

I don’t really care because, if you will recall, I was hesitant about getting vaccinated in the first place.

Needing a little libation after a day of a simple blood pressure check becoming a cause celebre, I walked to the drugstore.


A price hike from $4.99 to $6.39 over night.

16 comments:

  1. Ice cream is a very effective medication; I often use it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know. I had a conversation just the other day, when Trainer and I were watching a woman on drugs dancing around in the parking lot outside his business. I'd said, "I don't understand why people turn to expensive drugs, to numb the pain of living, when ice cream is cheaper and just as effective" :-)

      Delete
  2. The bottom number of your BP is wonderful. My dr would be ecstatic with that low number. I have to take pill to keep it below 90. Everything is getting more and more expensive, including those cell phones, but a new one every year is just crazy. My iPhones last 3-4 years and then my husband takes the old one and uses it another few years. This year I had to replace my 3 year old phone because I washed it in my pants pocket. No hand-me-down for Terry either. He had to pony up for a new phone. https://dkzody.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last cellphone died way too soon. Will be interesting to see if thing go bad with this one in less than 3 years. To tell you the truth, I have no idea what the bottom number mean, but good to know my numbers are considered good. Just have to figure out how to keep the top numbers down.

      Delete
  3. I take 1 lisinopril a day for my BP. tuesday it was 131/72 at the MDs office. ice cream (chunky monkey) is better than any drug; so is chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm chocolate. That's my other go to for relief.

      Delete
  4. Your rotten flaunting that ice cream in front me!!!!! I love ice cream but I'm not a Ben And Jerry fans...Ill take the Hagen Dass on the shelf below please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it. You might like it. P.S. I didn't pay attention to the new price on Hagen Dass, but I'm sure it's up a couple bucks as well.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes Shirley...I have tried it and there is too many weird things in it. They are a little too out there for me. I tend to like real soft creamy brands

      Delete
  5. Welcome to, as they call it, the new normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what you're saying is I'm gonna be eating a lot of ice cream and chocolate.

      Delete
  6. I was going to suggest white coat syndrome too. And now I want Ice Cream. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be WCS because next morning BP was back down to 124. That window, now broken, is dangerous for that elderly resident. Anyone can come by and enter. And it's funny that when I post ice cream or See's candy, others get a craving, but I don't hear of anyone rushing out for kale when I post one of my kale creations. LOL.

      Delete
    2. I don't rush out for kale but I admit to feeling guilty when I read about you eating it so often!
      That was quite a day you had!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe the nurses didn't just wait 15 minutes and take your BP again. And there is a way to drop the upper number 10 to 20 points in a minute. Take 10 deep slow breaths in and out. Then check it. Try it at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She took it three times and it kept going up. I'll try that 10 slow breaths when I go back.

      Delete