Saturday, August 17, 2019

Holy Guacamole!

Plans for an uneventful Friday ─ stay in and do nothing, were scuttled by a power outage shortly after 8:30.
Online at the time, with the tv going, both suddenly went dead, as did the A/C. I checked the microwave, the lights. Everything was dead dead dead, plus the smoke detector began beeping like crazy.
The smoke detector runs on a battery, so not quite sure why the power outage affected it, but the result was pandemonium in my unit.
Armageddon.
I decided to get dressed and flee.
Just before I headed out the door, A/C came back on, smoke detector stopped beeping ─ which signaled power had been restored, but I’d already taken the outage as a sign to get out and about, so out and about I went.
Car wash, gas, bank, Sprouts ─ where I paid $10.00!!!! for these four avocados.


I’d heard reports on the news about the price of avocados rising, about Oprah buying an avocado farm due to those high prices but, since avocados are a staple for me, I paid no mind to cost until the cashier said, “Wow. These avocados are expensive”.
“Really?” said I. “How much did I pay for them?”.
So now I am aware and will probably cut back because, currently, I’m going through one avocado per day. That mathematically translates into $17.50 a week, $50+ a month, $600+ a year, with prices sure to continue to rise thanks to No. 45’s shenanigans with Mexico. 
Put into further perspective ... it’s more than I pay for auto gas in a month, so cut back I will until the financial bleeding stops.
Next stop was Michael’s Craft Store.
In need of an additional medal/bib board, to better organize the 5k medals/make room for those newly acquired, I thought to take the easy way out and purchase something online. 
Not finding anything worth the price, I decided to make my own ─ as I did back in 2017.
Plans for the new board are much like the other ─ bibs on the right, medals on the left, but different wording.


I’ve got paint in my craft supplies, also a wooden board, but no mug hooks so, I popped into Michaels.
They didn’t have the hooks either, but I did mosey on over to glassware to pick up a few glass jars (for a hotel hack that allows one to heat up meals in the ice bucket) and promptly let one of the jars slip through the opening on the cart and smash to the floor with a loud sound heard throughout the entire store.
Though I was wearing open toe birkenstocks at the time, and though the jar smashed at the tip of my toes, sending shards over and around my feet, I was fortunately not injured.
“Clean up in glassware!”, I yelled out and a worker rushed over to clean up the mess.
The incident was picture worthy but, stunned and embarrassed, I forgot to pull out the cellphone and take a snapshot before moving on.
Having got out and about yesterday, plan for today is to try again for staying indoors, doing nothing ─ except needlepoint, paint that board, make another batch of almond meal hazelnut butter brownies.
We’ll see how today goes.

5 comments:

  1. Here's the avocado story.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2019/07/11/avocado-prices-why-avocado-prices-have-been-increasing/1677876001/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I still read a screwup by No. 45 in the story but, like the woman interviewed, if it really is supply/demand and short term, I'll spend the extra money for now.

      Delete
  2. Glad your toes are ok.
    Yes, for a while they were 5 bucks each. Now at Vons and out neighborhood store, they are $2.50 each. I too have cut back to half an avo a day. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I guess I should feel Thankful that the 99 Cent Store purchase of 3 bagged Jumbo Avocado was only $2.49 then Today! *Whew!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love avocado on my sandwiches. Glad for the heads up so I won't just chunk a few in the basket next week without looking at the price first.

    ReplyDelete