Monday, April 10, 2017

While I Was Crafting

With extra paint on my hands, leftover from the egg coloring party, thought I’d try my hand at making a metal/bib board.

Months ago, I’d commissioned the woman who made the first board to make a “Ditto” companion to the now overflowing “Celebrate Every Mile”.


She said she would, but that it would take her a couple months to get around to it.

After three months and no board, I cancelled the request and, when I was out and about picking up paint last week, I also picked up a board.

Decided today was the day to give it a go, I painted the board white, began decorating and lettering it free-hand and with leftover scrapbook supplies and images printed off the internet.

The board ready for hardware, I realized I needed a smaller drill bit (3/32) than was in my kit, booted up the computer to see where one would be available and learned there’d been a shooting at an elementary school in the area. I immediately thought it to be the school down the street, around the corner, over by Starbucks, where the wife of one of our residents teaches.

It was then I noticed the sound of helicopters.

Stepping out onto the patio, I spied three in the sky, two directly overhead, but they weren’t in the direction of the school I originally thought. It was the other direction, towards the elementary school over by the university … the elementary school the Archeologist’s son and daughter attend.

Heading to Facebook, I learned her children had been safely evacuated to the university.

Can you imagine the stress she must have been under until she got word?

And today is the Archeologist's birthday.

What the heck is going on in this city?

First it was the terror attack, then the Blue Cut Fire, now this … closer to this location than even the terror attack and fire.

Nevada is sounding better every day.

As far as the medal board, I had to order the drill bit and the picture hanging kit, so I’m stymied until those arrive, but the board is looking good, if I do say so myself.


For sure, I’ll never buy another board now that I know how easy they are to make.

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of you as I heard of this heinous attack. I was clicking through my blog roll when I saw you had posted today. Very sad event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shocking. Inland Empire area getting slammed pretty hard today. First was the school shooting. Helicopters keep coming back on the hour, so I'm assuming they're News Choppers. THEN word of some guy in the Upland Stater Brothers with a rifle and THEN the old guy who backed up, ran over and killed four women. All is chaos.

      Delete
  2. Didn't hear about the old guy backing over the women. Perhaps that news didn't make it this far.

    ReplyDelete