Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Unusable Uneatable

All that running around to get my hands on gilding wax and, when I tested it out late yesterday, I found the product unusable because it had dried out.

Looking around on the internet, to see if there was a way to reconstitute, I learned it’s not unusual to purchase new in package only to run into “dried out”, depending on how long it’s been hanging around in the store, and there is no reconstituting.

I’d have returned it this morning except, by the time the un-usability was discovered, I’d already removed the Bright Gold and Bright Silver from their packages, organized them in my new craft carrier (that I lucked into at half price) and had tossed the packaging out with the trash. Consequently, I’d have to eat the cost.

The good news is I’d purchased the small $4.99 tubs, so I’m not out all that much. The bad news is my disappointment at not being able to practice the technique of putting an antique finish on eggs.

Like This

No worries, I concluded, as I should be able to create credible art with the paint pens and metal flakes.

The unusable product I picked up wasn’t the only disappointment yesterday, there was also an uneatable lunch.

On the way back to the complex, I drove some 26 miles out of my way for a veggie fajita at the Mexican restaurant I frequented for lunch before retiring, and which I continue to pop into once/twice a year.

After ordering that veggie fajita to go with “no meat, no cheese on anything, no sour cream on anything”, arriving back at the complex -- planning to make lunch and dinner out of the combo, I opened the lid and found melted cheese all over the beans and rice.

I know the waitress got the order right, because she’s known me and my preferences for at least a decade and a half; yet and still, something made me repeat “no meat, no cheese on anything, no sour cream on anything” at least three times as she wrote out the order.

But it’s my bad because, when I saw it wasn’t the regular guy in the kitchen, but some young guy, not having faith in the younger generation to get much right, I should have checked before leaving the lot.

Too far to drive back, I managed to scoop out a tablespoon or two of rice and beans that didn’t have cheese in it, and ended up tossing everything except the fajita peppers.

I must say, the young guy could cook, because what I did get of the beans and rice, was delicious. It’s just too bad he couldn’t follow instructions.

After a chaotic weekend, and a disappointing Monday, I went to bed telling myself I’ve had enough of the outside world. The plan was to stay close to home today – indoors actually, and not go outside remainder of the week.

Didn’t work out that way, because I woke up energetic, recovered, but craving See’s chocolate.

That meant a drive to Victoria Gardens and, on the topic of “never give up”, I popped into the craft store in that area and picked up two tubes of a different metallic finish product, which is testing out just fine.

All set for Friday’s event.

Now I really am done with the outside world until I stick my head out on Friday for the decorating party.

No comments:

Post a Comment