Monday, April 24, 2017

The Plot Thickened

Actually, the plot not only thickened but worsened over the weekend as I set about getting a new cellphone number to resolve that spoofing issue.
I logged into my provider’s website but quickly became frustrated when the links and instructions led me in circles. Deciding to let an agent make the change, I clicked on “Chat Now”.
After typing in what I was trying to accomplish, the agent typed back, “Have you tried going online?”
I kid you not.
Now please keep in mind, I wasn’t talking to the agent on the telephone. I was type talking to the agent via the chat box …on the internet … online.
Me: “What? Seriously? I’m online now”.
Agent: “Okay, not a problem, I can have that changed for you”.
Agent comes back after a short time and says, “The new number will be xxx-xxx-xxxx”.
Only problem with that was, it happened to be my current cell phone number. The one I was trying to change.
Me: “That’s my number now ?????”
Agent: “Sorry about that wrong number a minute please.”
Me: “Never mind, you’re scaring me. I’ll go to the store.”
Agent: “I’m going to give you the correct number now one moment please.”
After agent gives me a supposedly new number, I disconnect.
However, I didn’t feel comfortable with what just happened. The conversation left me thinking perhaps I was still being spoofed, had not even been connected to an actual agent.
I logged back into my account to verify a number change and found a new number listed but not the one given me by the agent.
Hopefully, I get a follow-up survey, because I’ve got something to say about the chat box customer service.
It took a telephone call, a different agent and a reset before which was which was cleared up, and the problems the mix-up caused the phone were fixed, but all’s well that ends well. The number is changed, I won’t need to upgrade and hopefully the spoofing is resolved.
Other than that, not much happened over the weekend.
It was hot, a strange kind of hot that wasn’t so much heat but uncomfortably dry and intense.
So uncomfortable that, driving out to the locktician a few cities over on Sunday to get my braids retightened, I began to feel loopy and unusually drowsy.
So loopy that when I paid the locktician for her services with four $20 bills and two $5’s, she said, “Wait! What’s all this?” I looked over and saw I’d given her three $20 bills, two $5’s and one $100 bill.
I didn’t even know I had a $100 bill!
It’s a good thing she was honest and looked out for me.
A good thing also that she counted, because she usually just takes the cash and goes about her business.
Inasmuch as I never got around to making it to Trader Joe’s for supplies, I thought I’d stop by on the way back to the unit but, once again out driving in the hot air, I began to feel unusually drowsy to the point where I had to shake my head and slap myself to keep from what felt like falling asleep at the wheel.
Was I on the verge of passing out?
I skipped Trader Joe’s and headed straight home, where I literally passed out on the couch.
We’re not even into triple digits yet, and I can’t handle the heat. That makes me question, if relocation is in my future, how I’ll be able to handle living in Nevada, where it’s even hotter.
On tap for today is checking with the optometrist as to why it’s taking so long to get my new eye glasses? I’ve already received a thirteen-question survey from the Vision Essentials Coordinator.
Question No. 10 is “Were you satisfied with the time it took to make your eyeglasses”.
It’s been almost an entire month, and the survey reached me before the glasses have, so no. I’m not satisfied with the time at all.
I shouldn’t have to contact the optical department to find out what’s going on but, if I want my glasses, looks like I’ll have to hunt them down.
The universe is testing my patience with customer service people.

3 comments:

  1. I would hate to have to change my phone number. That number is linked to so much of my life. Even our land line number, which we've had for 35 years is linked to so much and so many that I would hate to give it up. Maybe when I die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not happy about it either, for the same reasons as yours. Plus it hit me this morning that I need to check the new number for feng shui value. If bad numbers are in there, may have to change again.

      Delete